Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Swimming nature moan
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
anna

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:07 am    Post subject: Swimming nature moan Reply with quote

For all of you who didnt get any response from Swimming nature I now conclude you had a lucky escape.

I moved up a class last night from a Beginers/ intermediate class that swam lengths to an intermediate class that swam in only half the pool. an adults beginers class used the shallow end.

I was told when I booked the class that there was 2 lessons at the same time with diferent teachers but that the standard was the same and I could choose who I wanted to teach me. not much help if you dont know anything about either of the teachers. this wasnt the case as there was a beginners and an intermediate class.

Anyway all of the people who were in last terms group were better swimmers than the group I was in last night. but I was the only person moved up a class. So there is no consistancy in the levels of classes, The classes were small though, 5 in the beginers 6 in the group I was in.

I will say that last terms lessons were fine, and Last nights teacher was good she pionted out that I need to roll more and that i dont use the push part of my stroke (do I just ignore the look forward not down instruction?)

The teacher suggested that I joined the masters swim group that meets after the lesson but as I have already joined one at another pool I will just be getting my money back from swimming nature, and will swim on a Wednesday night instead.

Now what excuse can I find not to run with Sue at her club on a Tuesday Confused
AndyS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear your troubles, that sort of thing really bugs me.

With regards to the 'head forward' instruction, I think it's true that most coaches/instructors will have their own idea of what's best and as pupils it's our job to swim as they tell us. However, as adults it's also our choice as to weather we take any notice of it! The gamble there is if you over rule them on lots of things then there's no point going.

I was also told to look forward and afterwards I said that it contradicts what other write/teach. He said I wasn't breathing enough air to swim the distance and looking forward makes breathing easier. As long as you keep your hips high it doesn't really matter. I stood and watched the others and they looked forwards and still managed to get their bum cheeks to cut the surface so I guess as long as your horizontal, looking forward isn't going to make much difference.

What confuses me about the look down/forward argument is when you watch open water swims that all seems to go out the window.
Delboy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a huge difference between looking forward and looking downward. For many years I used to look down at the bottom of the pool until a new coach came to my swimming club. The first thing he did with my stroke was to change my head position so that I looked at the end of the pool. Its all to do with streamlining!!! If you look downwards the water hits the top of your head and your shoulders, so there is quite some resistance!!! Whereas if you look forward, you push the water around your face/head and shoulders, hence it is easier to move through the water. Also, looking forward stabalises you more in the water, meaning that you can rotate your body with more control, saving a lot of energy.

Looking forward improved my swimming enourmously, I went from a 57 secs to a high 53 secs for 100m freestyle.
Simon_B

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must admit I do feel more streamlined when I look about a metre in front of me but that might be down to my dodgy technique.

Re: Swimming Nature - I used them last year and would never use them again.
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job I waited till you guys reported back - I was about to sign up for a term, as they seemed quite good value, but was unsure about their organisation. It seems like they put everyone together regardless of ability.

Besides, they're now back at the QM pool - no way I'm going there!
LOpezzz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it just shows that there is no 100% correct way to crawl, because there are so many different opinions out there!

I personally have seen good gains since I started to look down in the pool. Not sure why, but it seems to help me stretch out my body and glide longer into each stroke. Anyway, when you glide you should be turned on your side so your head position won't actually be facing the bottom of the pool and your extended arm should be creating the hole for your head and shoulders to glide through.

I'm convinced half of this fine tuning is phsycological anyway, you know.....feel fast so you will be fast - I've experienced this a lot lately!
Stealth Attack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert

What precisely are your objections to the QM pool?I assume that we are both talking about the Queen Mother Centre in Victoria. This has been my regular pool for the past 3 years and althought the recent re-furbishment was something I needed like a hole in the head - no swimming for three months - I have to say that I find the facilities fairly reasonable. OK, you sometimes have to argue the case for the attendants to put out a fast, front crawl lane, but generally they will comply. I'm off there in a few minutes!

Giantman

See my blog at : http://www.tri247.com/columns/rob_holloway.html
AndyS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem with pools is that once the facilities get good they get busy. Beckenham is a very nice pool, all nice and clean with lots of facilities but you swim ten per lane and its very difficult to get a decent swim in. My regular pool (that re-opened on Monday) is always nice and empty as it's not that clean and is quite old. Yesterday there were six people sharing a 33 metre pool.
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I last went, only two lanes were usable as all the others were taken up by screaming children, old grannies drifting slower than continents, and aquacise lessons. Of those, one was for Ian Thorpes, the other had 8 people in it at any one time.

Aside from the overcrowding, it's a dirty pool. They did some London-wide testing a few years back and found that QM and Bromley wouldn't pass EU bathing water standards - faecal remains, urine, lack of disinfectant, etc. Maybe that's why the refurbishment, although I hear that the tiles are as dirty as before.

BTW, I am surprised that pools don't require swim caps or flip flops. Also, showers seem to be optional - there's no narrow walkway where you get soaked, whether you like it or not. Essential hygene, I should have thought, and makes the case for chlorine overdosing (also outside of bathing water regs) redundant.

Then again, it might just be me being fussy - I even wipe down my spin bike after a session!
Stealth Attack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ref my earlier posting, I am now back from the QM centre. Despite being only my 5th swim in my come back, I managed a non-stop 1000m in 18m 28s. Had about six others in the lane, one doing annoyingly slow breast stroke, but once I had overtaken him once, I think he got the message! But there is one thing that continues to bug and something which pools should publicise more in terms of lane eitquette (spelling?). I have always been taught, and certainly practice, that if a faster swimmer touches your feet, then it is protocol to stop at the end of the lengthto let him/her pass. This means that there are no ugly overtaking efforts mid-turn and very little time is lost by letting faster swimmers through. While I'm on the subject, there should also be a rule about outlawing tumble turns if there are more than say, ten swimmers in a lane. I have seen many a nose bleed in the pool caused by ineffective tumble turns in a crowded lane. I could go on.....but work to do!

Giantman

See my blog at : http://www.tri247.com/columns/rob_holloway.html
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lane etiquette is rarely enforced unfortunately, so you can end up with the double arm back strokers in the lane with people training freestyle - the sensible thing would be for the lifeguards to enforce some lane discipline but they never do, as they are usually underpaid and don't want the hassle/ can't be bothered.
ed_m

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most people havent been to a taught or club session so would know little about lane ettiquette & probably just consider toe touching aggravating..

..and as for trying to toe tap a breast stroker... rather you than me!
dr dre

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

went to go for a swim last night and there were nearly 20 people in our gyms 18m pool ( 5 in the single lane ) all swimming at different speeds -

bring on feb where they all give up and stay at home
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m/duathlon_ed wrote:
most people havent been to a taught or club session so would know little about lane ettiquette & probably just consider toe touching aggravating....and as for trying to toe tap a breast stroker... rather you than me!

What's this nicey nicey toe-tapping business? Just grab their ankle and drag them under! Twisted Evil
LOpezzz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I train in Bath and Bristol Uni's, and Bristol is brilliant for lane discipline - they have signs on each lane from slow, medium to fast, and even a 'crawl only lane', and the lifeguards are straight over if anyone such as tries to do a length of breaststroke!

Bath however is the opposite. I do try and politely point out to people that they are doing doggy paddle in a fast lane, but the life guards don't bother. I did compain about lane markers a while ago, got a promt telephone call the very same day from the manager, but nothing ever happended!
But it is one of best 50m pools in the country, so I consider myself lucky to live close by.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: