Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Help a newbie - any tips for my first tri?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Miss Piggy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 10:15 am    Post subject: Help a newbie - any tips for my first tri? Reply with quote

I'm doing my first tri in 18 days (Cheshire Novice) so what advice can anyone give me? I'm getting a bit nervous.

What tips do you have? What mistakes have you made that I can learn from? What do I need to take with me? What have you learnt the hard way? Is there any etiquette I need to know? I'm sure I can think of more questions, but I think that is plenty!
Please help me!
dr dre

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my biggest mistake in my first tri last week was to not drop down a few gears on the last mile of the bike as I pushed real hard and by the time i came out of t2 onto the run I was done for straight away. I had to dig real deep to keep going.

Some other thing that helped me were

Get some safety pins to pin your numbers to your tshirt, do this whilst wearing your shirt.
Put baby powder in your socks to help them go on to wet feet
Put your cycling / running top on top of your helmet this way ou won't put you helmet on first
Leave your bike in a low gear to start with

ooh and enjoy !! keep smiling all the way good luck and see you in Cheshire
ed_m

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 7:40 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

• use a number belt.... i nearly ripped my numbers off at my first tri trying to put my top on over wet body. Even at stratford without the numbers it was enough of an ordeal.. but then the number belt just clipped on. (if you use a belt... pin your numbers on by the top, and whilst wearing it as it's stretchy)
  • socks ? Wink put talc in your shoes.
  • rehearse the transition.. in your head at least. Know what order you're going to do things. I find it helpful to go for a bottom up approach (shoes, top, helmet) as for some reason your brain has turned to mush by that point
  • do some brick training.. bike to run.. even just to know what it feels like. And take it easy at the start of the run until your legs get into running mode!
  • have a mat or towel in transition to wipe the grit off your feet

ok.. i'm spent Very Happy

above all.. relax! and enjoy it....
flo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just don't panic, and try to enjoy it.
Those are my only top tips.

As an ex lardy and unfit person, now only mildly lardy but much fitter, I optimistically enetered Brighton Novice last year as a spur to myself.

I was utterly bricking it the night before - the sea was wild and I'm not a great swimmer so I had nightmares about being fished out by men in canoes. But I wasn't going to back out - I'd lose too much face and everyone thought I was stupid to even attempt it so I had to prove them wrong.

Mass start meant that there were people to talk to, and lots of first timers, so nerves were a bit steadied.

The swim went fine - I was slow but I didn't need rescuing and wasn't last. Plus I had cheapo pumps on so I could peg it across Brighton's pebbly beach to transition.

Bike went great, I even overtook someone but then lost places on the run. Finished in under an hr (and this was a good result for me!! Even if distances were only 200m/10K/2.5k)

But the amzing thing was I laughed my way throughout the event. It was just the last thing I expected - to actually enjoy it.
I know this means I could probably have gone faster but the point is I had a great time and was really proud of myself afterwards.

And you will be too. You won't quite believe that you've done it, and you'll be just this side of bragg-y when you get back to work after the event. And so you should be!

Good luck xxx
Daz

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck miss pig, enjoy! Very Happy

I've done close to 15 tri's now I think and I'm still learning all the time, finding ways of cutting a few more secs off my time, and STILL making mistakes. There really is so much to take on board that I would just say go out there and enjoy your first one, and then work out what needs to be changed after it.

I agreewith the others that it would be a good idea to run through your transitions beforehand. I've had plenty of problems in the past at T1 especially. My first tri I put the helmet on before my top. And in a few prev tri's I've had trouble getting my top on without ripping the number pinned to it. Def recommend getting a number belt and (maybe later) a one-piece tri suit.

Try and make out a list of everything you'll need for your first race so you dont forget anything. This may sound obvious but it can be very easy to forget something important like goggles.

On race day try and set out your gear in the order that you will need it eg : tri-top/cycling shoes/sunglasses, helmet, T2 running shoes.

As for race itself just try and take it easy in the swim. Try and swim the first half at around 80% your (perceived) max. Then speed up for the second half if you can. Take it easy in the last length or two and start kicking the legs to loosen them up for the bike. Take T1 more carefully than T2 as more can go wrong. Last few miles of the bike change down a few gears and increase leg speed/cadence. When you start the run you'll get a shock as your legs will feel like lead. But don't worry, this will be the same for everyone! Just start off conservatively and increase speed slowly. You'll know how much you are pushing yourself by your intake of breath (or HRM if you have one), to get a good indication.

Good luck mate!!! Kick ass!!!! Twisted Evil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: