Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Race Report - A DAY IN THE LAKES - a tale of mucho fun !!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wiganer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Race Report - A DAY IN THE LAKES - a tale of mucho fun !!! Reply with quote

When our good friend and squeaky softride rider TC launched the thread to announce this new race, it is fair to say that it caught the imagination of quite a few of us on here.......we all thought "mmmmm that could be a really good day out" and yes its not too far away and wow those lads from Trihard usually put on a fantastic race...and I then realised it was literally days after my birthday.......and at 45 who could say no !!!

As I packed the car the excitement was starting to become real and the enormity of the race was also at the forefront of my mind. The Tripunk patented bike transporter was set up for movement of the stealth:

Friday
I had booked off the Friday and Monday, with the plan to get up there and establish base camp in the afternoon whilst Mrs W and the boys came up later after she had collected them from school....a good plan...yep.....however, "setting up basecamp" involved me erecting our newly acquired 9 man tent on my own having never even taken it out of its wrapping before.....potential nightmare, but luckily all the parts were there and soon it was all laid out and the colour coded poles inserted. We were staying on the main field at Park Foot on one of the few electric hook ups which meant that it cost a little bit more but that meant the standard of families around us was much more serene and lager-free than Camp Beirut on the other side of the hedges......why come to the Lakes to sit around and sup ale all day into a stupor is beyond me....anyway back to the tent construction. It was make or break - dome time.......I pushed up the first pole and secured it and then the second and as if by magic it slotted perfectly into place - I did need a slight hand with the flysheet to lift it over the 10ft dome, but that was the only help I got in the sweltering heat (I did drink constantly as I was doing it though)....the result of my efforts - base camp.

Mrs W arrived shortly after completion and was pleased to have the tent up and "moveable in" with our three boys and our nephew from Spain.
As we settled in the next door and opposite plots were filled with chaps from Chester Tri which meant we had our own little area really all up for the race.
We cracked open the barbeque and had a lovely evening in the warmth before taking a stroll down towards the lake to see what was what, and then retiring "home" for the evening. A glass of wine and all was very much zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Saturday
It was another hot sweltering day and I needed to make sure I was fully loaded with water and with carb drink all day. We took the family for a stroll around Pooley Bridge and for some lunch before taking a shot of the swim course:

We then came back to camp and I started to prepare for the race by getting the stealth out and cleaned, lubed and generally ready before strolling over to register....got to the bottom of the road and Cobbie came flying past testing his bike out too....a few words and off he went I went and got registered. The TT camp was being established nicely in the triathlon field.

Sunday - Race Day:
Incredibly I had been put into the first wave of swimmers - eh how does that work I thought....but not to worry and the hooter went as I was finishing a conversation with the Slacko's at the waters edge....off we go.....my plan was to be as economic as possible....not to think about or worry what anyone else was doing, but to concentrate on my stroke....the result was awesome......simply the best swim I have ever had - just so relaxed and happy without major incident and I was buzzing. You can tell how happy I was as I exited the water

SWIM: 37mins:

Mrs W and the boys were yelling away and it was a great buzz for me...into T1 and Jonny got me getting changed with Newarktricky waiting for Cleo:

not sure of the weather it was on with rolled down armwarmers and off we went onto the bike with a strict plan of keeping the HR under control for as much as I could - which after that swim and the tough course ahead was difficult......but I was happy along the back road past the lake heading towards the big climb of the day - the Kirkstone Pass:

Uber-rubbish swimmer TC came past me here on his soft-ride and I hurled some abuse at him as he grunted past stood up flying past people...I took pride in staying seated all the way up the pass despite wanting to get up and show off.....I was controlled......but then I got to the top and fairly hammered it down.....overtook quite a few people (in the place that it was safe to and there wasnt many)....saw the aftermath of some chap coming off his bike and looking dazed...ouch !!!! -

The roads then meandered over towards Shap Fell and the long climb up there and at the bottom I picked up Paul L and shared a few lines with him before pushing on towards the summit picking my mate (and another fast swimmer) Tripunk up as we reached the top, but he was struggling with cramps and nausea.....he ended up pulling out after a mile on the run which was devastating for him and took some of the edge off the day really......anyway the TT support crew and Cleo (who assured me she is doing the full version next year) were pom-pomming away and the cow-bells were a-clattering !!!! great atmosphere !!!

Same story for me.....bimble up the hill and hammer it downwards and again I took loads and loads before it started to flatten out and as I sat up for a drink/gel, an angry Newarktricky came past after suffering from a stuck brake-block - he wasnt chuffed !!! Shortly after Repoman came by and we had a brief chat before he shot off into the distance...The rest of the bike passed without incident, but the heat was turning up a notch and the sun was out.....I got back to T2 nicely and in good form with a well controlled bike effort:

BIKE: 3hrs 25mins

I was feeling good.....I started to get changed in T2 and as I did so I heard a familiar voice shouting over - Mrs Slacko was enquiring where Steve was......I was surprised to be ahead of him and had been waiting for him to come by for a while.....

I put on a TT bike top as there was sunshine scorching down, but it was also drizzling slightly and there were clouds on the tops.....I felt strong and quite confident as I left T2:

The next three hours were simply purgatory - the clouds parted and the sun shone down hard.....about 2-3km into the run Slacko came up behind me.....he was suffering too with cramps but we looked at the hill ahead and set off like mad men, running strongly, fast and leaving everyone else trailing behind us.....(ok, we walked slowly cursing the sun, but we prefer the first description better)...as the path flattened and levelled off he left me - I just cant handle the powerful sun......I was fine in the shade and could run well, but as soon as the sun shone I was like "Woody" in Toy Story when the little boy comes back in the room and he just freezes......I knew I had to keep eating and I took 500ml of water out with me, but I was feeling sick as well now......I got to the first aid station and drank well and set off but saw the sheer mountain ahead of us and just sat down on a big rock....."bowlocks to that....that isnt a run course, thats what moutaineers do and I am not one of those.....I am gonna pack it in......wait, no I am not, not after coming this far, yeah I am, no I am not, yeah I am, not I am not"....oh stuff it...and on I went.....the climb was steep and hard.....and it was here that Badger passed me looking good - I was still talking to myself about how crap the sun is and why the hell was I half way up a mountain.....time for another sit down on a rock and more banter with other athletes and more talking t myself.....eventually after what seemed an age I got to the top and there was a lovely stream with water as clear as you could imagine...."is this drinkable" I asked a marshal......"well everyone else has" was the reply, which wasnt really a yes or a no, but I took a full refill and poured it over my head before refilling again to drink on the descent....the view were stunning...simply WOW !!!!

The descent was a killer as well, very technical and hard on the legs, and I was running low on water again, but made it to the second aid station along with 4 or 5 others.....including a lad from Bolton I know and The Bunster....."how we feeling lads"......"sheeeite", "rubbish", "crap"....."how long left" were the answers.......the cheerful marshal (arent they always cheerful ?) said ooooh about 3.5 miles and its all flat.

Well I suppose it was flat compared to Kilimanjaro we had just been up and down, but it was still up and down......me and The Bunster decided to run/walk the last bit together....in quite a few races over the last couple of years we have been finishing together and it was good to have some company to moan with.....we were ok and started to run with some conviction about 2km from home....here we are entering the final furlong:

and this is where I spotted my youngest little boy waving madly.....a lovely sight....

and this is where the rest of the crew were:

We crossed the line together and that was the end of it.

RUN: 2hrs 56mins (a death march)

TOTAL TIME: 7hrs 03mins

I was hoping for a time of somewhere between 6.30-7.00 but had no idea as I didnt know the course at all, so my finishing time of 7.03 is just about where I thought I might be and but for the heat/sun would have been 15-30mins quicker I think.......

The BBQ
There were many tales talked afterwards and many beers drunk and it was great to meet some of the people you have corresponded with for sol long and equally good to see some familiar faces too......we drank, chatted and chilled out until around 11pm before we all collapsed into our tents.....

For me, the heat made the race as hard as the Ironman I have done and when you hear Spike and Cobbie making comments that it is the hardest HIM they have ever done, you realise what you have achieved and what that race was all about.

Time for a couple of days off now, but if you want a race to challenge your senses, and your strength, then get yourself along to A Day in the Lakes 2010......but you probably wont see me there !!!! (or will you ?)

Last edited by wiganer on Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
gingeadams

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great race report, love the photos! Sounds like you had a blast. Good prep for the big one soon! You've captured my imagination, I think I'll do this bad boy next year... Cool
dunedog

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Race Report - A DAY IN THE LAKES - a tale of mucho fun ! Reply with quote

[quote="wiganer"].eventually after what seemed an age I got to the top and there was a lovely stream with water as clear as you could imagine...."is this drinkable" I asked a marshal......"well everyone else has" was the reply, which wasnt really a yes or a no, but I took a full refill and poured it over my head before refilling again to drink on the descent....the view were stunning...simply WOW !!!!

quote]

It was true, everyone else had drank it (not to mention most of our water and one bloke who I gave a Nuun tablet as he couldn't walk for cramp), in fact someone got in and lay down later!

I didn't want to be on dodgy ground for Trihard by saying it was fine!! I had a walk up the stream later on and it seemed clear. The only sheep carcass in there had very little flesh left on Wink

Nice report BTW and glad you enjoyed the race.
dr dre

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nicely done Wiggie Cool
Cobbie

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report and pics - it was a brutal day Smile

See you there again next year no doubt Wink
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What can I say but

Isn't the Events page good enuf for you, or are you just 'Special' Razz

Don't worry m8, its gonna p1ss down with grey skies at your beloved IM-BOLTON. (Thats in the UK, btw) Wink
85IM+11DIM+D+2Q+2T=133IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-16
Spike

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report, Wig. La Marquise was chuckling about your "bowlocks to that....that isnt a run course, thats what moutaineers do" comment all through the drive home. Smile
Cleo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report, Wiggy....though clearly you were delirious if you heard me say anything about doing the whole thing next year! Very Happy
Bainsy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chapeau m wiganer !!!

2006 IM CH, 2007 IMF, 2008 Norseman, 2009 100 hour Raid Pyrenees, 2010 Marazion, 2011 AXtri, 2012 - White Horse Challenge, Tonbridge, 2nd baby, 2013 - Aberdeen to Southampton bike, 2014 Gauntlet

2015 ?
littleredhead

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love these reports - they really inspire me to greater things..

Well done you! *applauds loudly*

Smile
wiganer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spike wrote:
Nice report, Wig. La Marquise was chuckling about your "bowlocks to that....that isnt a run course, thats what moutaineers do" comment all through the drive home. Smile

he he he, but its all true mate.....that was no run course !!!! Very Happy
wiganer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cleo wrote:
Great report, Wiggy....though clearly you were delirious if you heard me say anything about doing the whole thing next year! Very Happy

I am always delirious and yes you are in there for next year !!!! Game On !!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Cleo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wiganer wrote:
Cleo wrote:

I am always delirious and yes you are in there for next year !!!! Game On !!!! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Delirious and still drunk, methinks!

You now have 363 days to try to convince me. Razz Very Happy
newarktricky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quality report as ever Wiggy and good effort in the heat. I thought I heard Cleo say she was in for next year too - if she does I will Wink

NT Very Happy Very Happy
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report and lovely pics, well done. Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: