Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
A very tough day in the lakes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bainsy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: A very tough day in the lakes Reply with quote

A D I T L

Pre Race

Having made the decision to have a year (or possibly longer !) off ironman distance racing and with the distraction of my wedding later in the summer, this race was my ‘A’ race and focus for 2009.

As soon as TC posted back in _______ that this race was being planned it appealed. Racing a tough course over some of the best scenery in the UK – what’s not to like ?
(apart from the travel to and from London !!)

I have had a solid year of training and some encouraging results at Tonbridge Tri, Beaulieu and Hampshire Hilly Hundred. This coupled with a great week on the Pyrenean Raid (report still in production !) 2 weeks before the race left me feeling in good form and revved up for the challenge. The banter on Tritalk over the past 9 months had certainly added to the anticipation with a number of the ‘Norseman’ gang from 2008 up for the event.

I travelled up on Friday late afternoon with Kristi (who was running as part of a relay team with NT and Cleo). We had a very slow journey (about 7 hr 30) but settled into our very comfortable B&B by 2130 and managed a couple of drinks in The Sun Inn in PB.

Saturday

Always a tricky dilemma – we had come miles to the Lakes, Kristi had never been here before, so we wanted to get out and explore but were conscious of not wanting to do too much the day before the race.

We settled on a boat trip down the lake to Howtown and a 1 hr 45 stroll round Haddin fell (oh ok and we walked up the top as well !) caught the boat back, took the bike for a 10 minute roll to make sure she was behaving herself, then huge lunch, Lions game on telly with Cenzo and Tony P (GUTTING result – but what a game !!) then onto registration.

Friends of ours from Edinburgh were down for the weekend (not racing) so we met up with them and headed over to Ambleside (beautiful little town) for dinner (up Kirkstone and down the Struggle) and were back for bed by 2230.

Race Day

Despite the wedding in the village blaring away, I slept pretty well and given the very civilised race start time of 0830 the alarm going off at 0630 was not far off normal morning timing. Quick breakfast and over to get set up in transition.

Transition was in a field adjacent to one of the main campsites in Pooley Bridge – an idyllic setting if you could ignore ‘Chav Central’ next door. Boondog came over to introduce himself and was soon telling me about the antics of 4 of them who decided to start having very loud group sex next to his tent in the early hours ! I’m telling you B&Bs are the way forward pre race………..

Swim

For some reason I was in the quickest swim wave which went off a few minutes late at about 8.36. The start was great. ‘Right everyone in the water’ ‘ yep line up between the blue boat and the fence’ and then we were off…….

The water was certainly chilly but fine after a minute or two. I took the swim fairly easily and managed to even think about technique a little, found some feet for a while, lost them for longer. Just about kept on course………pretty standard for me. I was a little disappointed with 35 mins for the swim but having been 32 and a bit at Beaulieu (sea swim) this was probably par. Anyway 110th ranking on swim (33%) was good for me – so relatively a good swim.

T1

My swim – bike transitions have been a mess recently, I just feel like I want to throw up when I walk/run out of the water. No change here unfortunately so even after TT support crew cheering and Spike passing me telling me to bloody well run, I wandered up to T1 and grabbed a cycle jersey and supplies and headed out.

Bike

I was looking forward to this after my Pyrenean training but I took until half way up Kirkstone to find my legs. People whizzing past me was a little disconcerting but to be expected with some quick cyclists amongst the slower swimmers. I had to remind myself that averaging 35kph on that first 10k or so was a solid speed. I’m actually pretty happy that I didn’t rise to the temptation of going with some of the quicker guys.

Kirkstone was tough but fairly short and certainly manageable – I loved overtaking those guys on their TT bikes struggling to grind up it !! Great views from the top down towards Ambleside.

There was a fair bit of drafting going on on the bike and one guy (321 or 331 red Scott bike jersey) got the thick end of my tongue at one point as we past each other a few times but everytime he came past me he was sucking someone’s wheel – What’s the point…………it’s cheating, if you want to do that do a sportif………..

Anyway rant over……the ride was definitely front ended on the difficulty with Kirkstone and Shap (long but gentle) in the first half. I was at 45k in 1 hr 45 and thinking that I was on for a 330 ride but the second half was much less scenic but much quicker.

A definite plus point for me on the bike was the sight from about a mile away of the TT banner and supporters at the top of Shap – well done to Cleo, La Marquisse and the cow bell ringers. That coupled with water, flap jack and bananas at the aid station 200 m on was a very welcome moment

I was home in 3.08 for 86th bike split and about on target. Best I felt like I was growing in strength through the race and felt like I had plenty in the tank for the run.

T2

Pretty efficient – quick chat with Kristi who was waiting for NT to come in (she was in a relay team with Cleo and NT).

Run

Nice to see MG shouting us on from her tent and then off. The first mile or so lulled us in to a false sense of security – on road and flat. We were soon off onto the climb onto the fell and I was met by (no joke) 30 or so vintage tractors coming down the track I was running up !!! The first climb was pretty gentle and the views as we gained height got more and more spectacular. We were soon enjoying the benefit of the climb with a long gentle descent into Howtown. I was jostling for position with the only Pirate I saw all day and loving the off road running.

A quick couple of glasses of water at the aid station and then off up the fell. It was tricky at this point to see quite where we were heading but we could see a few guys heading straight up the valley so off I went. I suffered up this stretch with a guy from BAD tri and a couple of others and we bantered and walked and ran to the top of the fell. There was an extra aid station at the top with a girl filling water bottles and offering drinks – a veritable saint !!!

For me the pain of the ascent was very quickly diminished by the most spectacular of views – up three different valleys and back down from where we had come amongst a trail of antlike runners heading up !! Not enough time to appreciate where we were before we were off over boggy ground and over and around and down down down. Great fun and just about managed to keep my footing flying down some pretty technical tricky ground. How the fell runners who flew past me managed it i really don’t know. Respect – makes me want to read ‘ Feet in the clouds’ again and also do much more off road running.

Too soon after a couple of little ‘ups’ we were back at the water station and 3 and a half miles on road to go. This was actually the toughest bit of the run for me – nothing to look at (no views) and very hot. Still I managed to pick up the pace drop the pack that I had been running with and pick off a few others including Cobbie (who I politely reminded that he was not on Zombie Hill and should not be walking !!) to finish strongly with a run time of 2.02 and 62nd run split.

Overall I was 5.52 and 75th out of 350.

Very happy with that.

A great race – stunning scenery, a real challenge, well organised, nice competitors – good banter !, and a fabulous TT turn out.

I’m not a member of a tri club so TT is my club (Kristi thiks it’s a cult – but that’s another story) and its brilliant when we congregate in such numbers, I was just very disappointed not to stay for the BBQ that night.

This is a race that should become a classic on the UK circuit.

2006 IM CH, 2007 IMF, 2008 Norseman, 2009 100 hour Raid Pyrenees, 2010 Marazion, 2011 AXtri, 2012 - White Horse Challenge, Tonbridge, 2nd baby, 2013 - Aberdeen to Southampton bike, 2014 Gauntlet

2015 ?
Badger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. Cracking race mate. And what a venue.
wiganer

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bob on mate and shame we only met briefly along the weekend......you cant have been too far in front of me out of T2 as I too had the cavlecade of tractors to deal with......but the sun got me from thereon and I was doomed !

Great effort mate.....top bombing. Laughing
newarktricky

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report Bainsy and top effort on your race and result.

I couldnt believe how chilled Kristi was when I sprinted into T2 my face a very unappealling puce colour. She was unconcerned with my prolonged fumbling to get the chip off! She did a corking run too - well done you.

Great to meet you both and many thanks to you both for volunteering to complete the relay team. Hope the 'distraction' goes well (you will be in trouble for calling the happiest day of your life that) Wink Wink

NT Very Happy Very Happy
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report Bainsy, great effort. Must be a stunning race in that neck of the woods. Smile
ray

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

great race and good report...well done very tough day
Spike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good report, Bainsy. You're right about the last on-road bit of the run being mentally tough. I was glad I was wearing my Garmin so that I could tick the kms off in my head.
Slacko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent report Bainsy!

Bainsy wrote:
I loved overtaking those guys on their TT bikes struggling to grind up it !!
Embarassed

How did Kristi enjoy that run?
Cobbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report and good to see you again, if only briefly
Smile
MrsTricky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report Bainsy - good to see you again Very Happy

Nice to meet Kristi properly too - thanks to her for keeping me company while she waited for her run Cool
Cleo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love your race reports, Bainsy!
It was great to see you again and to meet Kristi.... huge thanks to her for bringing our team home in style! Cool Very Happy
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bainsy-tastic Cool

and dont blame me, its Rob at TriHards fault for laying on such a good un, with weather to boot Very Happy
88IM+11DIM+D+3Q+3T=144IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-17
TonyP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pleasure to meet you mate and great report.
die trying

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do love reading a good race report. Very Happy Well done Smile
IM Lanzarote
IM Florida
Bainsy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the kind words guys - Kristi was a 2.06 on the run i think and enjoyed it albeit suffered with anxiety before the race and hence was running on no fuel (if you get my drift) so she reckons she would have had me on our Bainsy household smackdown all being equal............ Very Happy

I do like the idea of a Lakesman being mooted by the TT posse - does Rob from trihard read TT do we think or does he need a few mails suggesting this ???

2006 IM CH, 2007 IMF, 2008 Norseman, 2009 100 hour Raid Pyrenees, 2010 Marazion, 2011 AXtri, 2012 - White Horse Challenge, Tonbridge, 2nd baby, 2013 - Aberdeen to Southampton bike, 2014 Gauntlet

2015 ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: