Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
a "D" in the lakes -report

View previous topic :: View next topic  
boondog

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: a "D" in the lakes -report Reply with quote

I'll start out with the excuses Smile

This is my 2nd year of Tri, having done some sprints, and 1 Oly last year. So first event of this year, and first time at 1/2 distance.

Saw this posted and thought it would be a great challenge, and also the entry list of TT'ers factored heavily. I'm not in any tri club, so all my advice comes from you guys (thanks!)

Prep
I did a recce of the bike route, but had hurt my right leg below the calf, so no chance to do the run before (which was a good thing!)
KP wasn't too bad, made it up ok, and was practically blown up shap by strong winds, easy peasy.
I bought an unfeasibly large tent, wife and kids are up for the weekend, and also roped my parents in to help support.

We arrived at Chav central mid-day Saturday, revised our plan to stay on the main camp site, and setup in the tri field. Some families moved in next to us, kids made friends - happy days.
Bloke in the tent next door (fell runner) offered me the advice of walking the tough bits, I hadn't thought about this too much, top advice in the end.

How can somewhere so beautiful be completely overrun? The woman in the shop said that in summer they queue for 15 mins to get into the shop, and there are approx 10 times more people there.
My dad met one guy whose family was camping, and he was staying in a B&B. Well done fella, that's me next time ! Very Happy

Time slipped by, and I abandoned my plan to have a pre-race swim (stupidly), as this normally calms me down a lot.
I packed/repacked/repacked etc , until time for sleep, then realised the booming noise in my head was not my pulse, but the f'in disco. Ear plugs in, but the bass still kept me awake until 1'ish.
Fast forward slightly (02:10), and I am awoken by a weird sound. Can't put my finger on it, but there are soft voices (more than 1), right next to my tent. Someone knocked a guy rope, so I woke up rather quickly thinking someone's trying to nick my bike !
Nope....guess again. Flashes start to go off, one one bloke says that he's filming it. WTF !?! There's only a group of people SH@@GING in the field right next to my tent. Mad Mad
My wife is fully awake and shouting that we have kids inside and that it's not appropriate, whereas I just shout P!SS 0FF !! at the top of my lungs.
They decide not to move, so I grab my headtorch and head outside, just as they start to run off. Turn on the torch and there's a guy 50 feet away pulling up his pants and shouting at me to turn the f'in torch off, or he'll kill me. I have a second to think about that and then respond that it's me who's going to be doing the f'in killing, come here you c@NT.
Luckily he continued to run, went back inside and tried to calm down a bit, heard some more noises so I was up until around 03:00. This was not what Iíd planned.
Somebody turned the lights on in the countryside at 05:00, but I still managed to get some more sleep until 07:00.

Race Day

SwimSleepy
I was quite nervous about this, I was in the first wave, and just managed to get in the water as the wave left. No chance to settle in. I got knocked a bit, but basically I couldn't calm down, so I suffered and had to force myself to relax.
I've swam 26 mins for 1m before, do 4-5km sessions in training, but it wasn't happening today. My breathing was wrong, and that put everything else out of synch. Thought about stopping (?!?), so negative thoughts already creeping in.
Stuck with it, found a kind of rhythm, got swam over by some white hats, then dragged myself out of the water.

T1
socks on , shoes on, trying not to be too negative about a terrible swim time. My support crew cheered me on, and I felt quite happy to be taking part in the event.

Bike
I'm not the best cyclist in the world, new to the sport but I really enjoy it. So now I'm relaxed, have a few sips, look at some nice bikes, and try and warm up a bit.
The roads to Glennridding seem to have got worse, and although I saw *some* drafting on this section, it was very hard not to in certain places with the traffic and single lane.
Chat with a few friendly people, and start to look forward to the Kirkstone Pass.
When I arrived at the bottom, I found I have to get into the easiest gear (12-25), and that felt weird, surely I only needed that at the top ?
I felt fatigued, and that got worse as I progressed. Tried to stay seated as long as poss, but soon I was standing. About 80% of the way up I simply had to stop, bit of a failure, but I felt I had no choice. 1 min recovery and off I go.
About 200m from the top I stopped again, next to a car that had stopped to cheer people on. I felt very tired at this point. Before starting out I turned my wheel (to make sure it was ok), and it simply wouldn't turn, the chain was locked. It looked ok, so that confused me. I thought I'd bounce the back wheel to check why, and it promptly fell out ! Sad
How did the quick release come undone ?!? I reseated the wheel, checked it, double checked it, and set off again. No problems this time.
I'm not sure what zapped my energy, maybe the wheel was rubbing, couldíve been the heat, lack of sleep - who knows. But the wind in my face on the last 25miles really hurt.
The TT banner at the top of Shap was a very welcome sight, big thanks to you all. Cleo was screaming her head off, surprised she didn't lose her voice !
My nutrition wasn't quite right, I had stomache pains at one point, got to address that next time.

The last 10 miles went quick, stood up along the side of the campsite trying to get blood flowing back into my legs.

T2
Now the tough bit. I've never run 20km before, I've never done a fell run before, and about 4 weeks before the race I'd hurt my right leg, so I stopped running altogether. I felt good though, so off I stumbled.

Run

I was amazed to find I could actually run. I ran for a short while until I hit that first hill and then after a while I walked. Then I ran/walked the hill, waiting for the summit, after that it was a very enjoyable (if not hot) run all the way down towards the first aid station.(saying hello to Mrs Slacko and PaulL)
I met Wooden-1 there, said hello but he didn't recognize me, quick drink of water and I was off. I could see the other runners come back round towards the aid station, so I could tell it was a loop, but I simply couldn't understand where in the valley ahead they were crossing.
I looked and looked, and then I saw that they didn't cross, they ran all the way up that rather large hill and over the top. I ran as much as I could, then it turned into a stride quickly uphill walk, where I was quickly joined by Wooden-1. (we talked our way up that hill, nice to meet you by the way !)
The Mirage of an aid station took ages to materialise, but when it did it was beautiful. Tastiest water I've ever drank Smile I'd convinced myself I had to run from there all the way back, so I was happy to be back on the road.
I managed to claw back a few places, and then I saw Wiganer ahead. Quick chat with him, and then off again for the line. I really wanted to be there under 7 hours.
(Aliice, was that you on the bike as I was running back ?)
run time 2:32, quite please with that.

I missed the 7 hour mark by 1 minute, but very happy to complete the course, and pick up a ton of tips of where I need to train to get stronger for the next one.

I don't have split times for the swim/bike yet, I've got to work those out from my watch and timestaps on photos. Shame the timing mats failed for a bit, but I don't hold that against the organisers.

Nice to meet fellow TT'ers, I'll definitely be back ther next year (in a B&B)
The value for money from this course is superb, canít recommend it highly enough.
Badger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done for your first half! Certainly got your money's worth.

We all heard about the gangbang - glad it didn't throw you completely off your day. Although the rear wheel coming loose ... Shocked

An A* for effort!

B Cool
Cobbie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one - was good to meet you Smile
Carl J

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need for any excuses, to get round that course took some balls.

Bang on matey Cool
Spike

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good job, boondog. I hadn't realised it was your first half IM.

And thanks for supplying the GPX file of the run before the race. In the end, I didn't use it because the route was easy to follow but it was comforting to know that I had it.
Cleo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, boondog!! It's a right pain in the *rse when mechanics contribute to burning your legs on the first part of ride -- glad you got it sorted.

As for screaming my head off...this was a training session for me...IMUK in a month and I *will* lose my voice. Very Happy
Paul L

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your first half and all the problems with the "neighbours", Chapeau! Cool Good to meet you, sorry if I wasn't making much sense at the aid station. Rolling Eyes Take care, Paul. Very Happy
Hoppy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

top effort - even with the late night interruptions!!
dr dre

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

first time we have ever had group sex in a race report

well done Cool
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boon-dog-tastic. you are half of an IronMan Cool
94IM+11DIM+D+3Q+4T=153IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-17
Bainsy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report and well done - what a way to break your HIM cherry !!

You certainly cheered me and Kristi up in transition when you told me the story about the group sex !!

2006 IM CH, 2007 IMF, 2008 Norseman, 2009 100 hour Raid Pyrenees, 2010 Marazion, 2011 AXtri, 2012 - White Horse Challenge, Tonbridge, 2nd baby, 2013 - Aberdeen to Southampton bike, 2014 Gauntlet

2015 ?
MrsTricky

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fab report of a great effort - well done Very Happy

I had no idea there had been such antics on the campsite - I must have slept much better than I had thought Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: