Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
A VERY VERY long Day in the Lakes
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:27 am    Post subject: A VERY VERY long Day in the Lakes Reply with quote

It has taken 4 years to do my second triathlon and in hindsight DITL was probably not the best one to be starting with. Still I did the training and felt very confident. Had some injury issues 3 weeks ago but appeared to be managing them well BUT worse was to come. Last Monday started to feel really carp. Had a head full of snot and coughing like a chain smoker. On Friday went to the Doctor and was told I had tonsilitis and given some drugs. DNS for sure and massively gutted. Happen to be my birthday too and to say that I was feeling sorry for myself was an understatement. Sad

I got a PM from Mrs Slacko. Best PM I have ever had. Can't remember what she said but boy it done the trick. I was going and will suck it and see. Very Happy

Great drive up with Cenzo. We talked sh*t for 5 hours solid. Like a couple of old tarts. Straight to Pooley Bridge to catch the rugby, have a beer and met a few TT'ers. I was supposed to be staying in Big Willys comfy barn but a mix up and lack of phone signal meant a change of plan. I was now camping. Tim and Alice kindly offered me a space in their tents. I chose Tim's as my wife reads this stuff. Wink Lesson No: 1 - sleep in Alices tent next time as Tim snores like a friggin train and has hairy sweaty nipples. The beating I would have got off of Sheila would have been worth it. Evil or Very Mad

RACE DAY
OMFG. Hardly slept and was shattered. Struggled to eat and felt real bad. One good thing was that the 2 days of antibiotics had certainly calmed my throat down so not all bad. I faffed big time in transition and was sure I would forget something.

SWIM
Down to the water and in. Not as cold as I was expecting but I was mega nervous and my head was in a spin. Before I had time to get my head wet the bloody gun went. Shocked I paniced and my HR went through the roof. I stopped to regroup. Took me a while to get breathing under control but I was finally relaxing. My siting is rubbish. I was all over the place. Half way down the long back straight I gave up trying to see the buoy so I just stuck my head down and went for it. Looked up after 20 strokes to see land in front of me and no swimmers. I went off at 90 degrees FFS! Oh well. Felt okayish and was praying for the end. Had to stop a couple of times to cough 'stuff' up to clear my throat and that felt good. Out of the water in 39:30 which was 30 seconds UNDER my target time so well friggin chuffed with that BUT I felt like sh*t. I was so dizzy I thought I was going to chuck. I have never had that before. Walked all the way to T1 and sat down. NewarkTricky was shouting at me to get a move on but I wasn't getting on a bike feeling like that.

BIKE
After about 5 mins in T1 I started to feel okay and then got going. About a mile down the road I saw Mrs Slacko. We had a few words and laughs, especially when a lot of my nutrition bounced out of my bento box, before I pushed on. My head was thumping and I questioned my sanity as I looked up Kirkstone. My speed dropped to 6kmh and my HR went through the roof. On a normal day that hill would not have phased me BUT today it was my nemesis. Got to the 20% bit at the top absolutely bolloxed and drenching in sweat. I had to get off as I thought I was going to pass out. Took on fluids and walked very slowly to the top. I was at about 23k and in a world of misery. Had a few tears to myself (WTF?) as strangely I wanted to lie down and go to sleep but couldn't. Pulled myself together and rolled down the other side. Forced more nutrition down my neck and started to feel better. Took it all very steady and started to enjoy the views. Shap was fine. Although on my limit it was manageable and to see the support at the top was fantastic. Very Happy Just after the welcomed aid station I friggin punctured. A guy stopped to help as I was swearing so much (very unlike me) - had a chat and then set off again. The last 20k was a PITA literally. I have never done a long ride in tri gear before (only use good bib shorts) and I was getting very sore. Shocked I got back in about 4h10m feeling pretty rubbish it has to be said BUT I was determined to finish.

RUN
I sat in T2 for a while contemplating more pain and suffering and wondered why I was doing this. Cenzo called to me to say in a kind way that there is no shame in bailing at this point especially when good runners like Cobbie are taking 2 hours and saying it was hell. Just what I wanted to hear actually. No matter how long it was going to take I was going to finish this fooker. I hobbled out of T2 and met Cleo and MG - that made me smile and feel better so I started to run. Decided to run the flats and descents and walk the uppy bits. Ran to the first climb feeling okay. That first climb changed that. Back locked up and I just wasn't moving well at all. Stretched for a minute and they did the trick. In a perverse sort of way I started to enjoy myself as I was privilaged to be looking at some of the most outstanding views. The pain was worth it. Got to about the 4 mile mark and was out of fluids and gasping and didn't hesitate to jump in a stream for a good long drink and cold splash down. Very Happy That was great. Hit the first aid station at 5.5 mile feeling happy but not great healthwise. Badger then sprung up and he's reassuring words of 'Take it easy and don't kill yourself' made me chuckle as I hobbled and power walked to the next monster climb. It's at this point you wonder what the hell is going on and were we not issued with ropes FFS! It's not running it's mountaineering! Took me about 25 minutes hard slog to get up that bugger. Mad Did I mention the views? I stopped to stretch for 5 minutes and if I died at that point I would have been a happy man. Breathtaking. Ambled/climbed/walked/run down to the 9 mile aid station and was feeling quite chipper. The roady bit back to the site was a git though. I had been on the run course for nearly 3 hours and seen about 4 people so I was getting rather lonely. With about a mile to go I saw someone ahead by about 200 meters and was desperate to catch him - no idea why I wanted to be competitive but it just seemed the right thing to do. Rolling Eyes Saw the TT support crew which was a very welcomed site indeed and I nearly caught my man too. Finished - well and truely. Despite the pain and stupidity of what I had just done I was made up. If my body was as strong as my mind I would be good at this lark. Very Happy

My time was always going to be pants but I did it in 8h12m.

BBQ
What a great crack that was and I'm not talking about Rays arse either. Laughing Had so much fun that I started to feel like I was on cloud 9 - okay the guinness helped too.

Mrs Slacko - Thanks for the 'chat' - can't tell you how much that meant to me. Big kisses on your bottom.
MG - Big thanks for the nutrition and loan of Bento box - you were a life saver. Worship
Cenzo - Thanks for the lift.
EJ - Thanks for letting me share your snoring secret. Disbelief
Cobbie - Thanks for nothing....that's a mountain climb not a run you git. Crazy Wink
Wiganer - Next year you will be my bitch...did I just say that out loud?
Paul L - Thanks for the Lantern Rouge although it now appears I have to hand it back. Clap
Alice - Thanks for proving that it is possible to drink 1.5r litres of lady wee without being sick Puke . You rock.

See you all next year..OUCH who threw that..come on own up.
MrsTricky

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazing stuff Tony - you have to be the winner of the TT HTFU award for 2009 Worship
Cobbie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report Tony Smile

Being sworn at by you (Cobbie - it's all your fault) as you collected the Lantern Rouge was a highlight of my weekend Very Happy
pip

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mountaingirl wrote:
Amazing stuff Tony - you have to be the winner of the TT HTFU award for 2009 Worship

seriously well done. I will read the report again before my ironman on sunday and remind myself of how tough you were when i start to feel like wussing out.
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyP-tastic Cool from TonyG
88IM+11DIM+D+3Q+3T=144IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-17
Nello

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much respect Mr P. Well done. Cool
2012 Goals: Sub 150 lbs (done), Sub4h Marathon (done at Belfast, 3:57), Sub 20m 5k (current 21:55), and FASTER generally..
TonyP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobbie wrote:

Being sworn at by you (Cobbie - it's all your fault) as you collected the Lantern Rouge was a highlight of my weekend Very Happy

Very Happy Very Happy Laughing

My favourite moment was when me, you, Tim, Alice and Nadya were huddled around the last BBQ when a very p*ssed Alice out of the blue said she would like me to bite her on the bum. Shocked Disbelief
Badger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done my man. Way to hang with it. And I agree with the mountain climbing! Must use Ballbuster just to train for this lark.

Great report.

B Cool
Slacko

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't usually let another man get into my wife's knickers but you deserved it with that effort mate! Very Happy

Respect! Cool
die trying

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a great read Exclamation Loved it, well done Very Happy
IM Lanzarote
IM Florida
Cleo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow Tony....where are the expletives in your race report? Seems pretty mild. You must still be knackered! Wink Very Happy

But seriously....WELL DONE.... Clap
dr dre

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one T

every good race should have crying at some point

I usually save mine for the finish but maybe during is the way forward
ray

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done mate to do that race feeling like #@?# is a great great effort

great to meet you as well Cool
Carl J

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had no idea Sun was your 1st half Embarassed

Fuggin 'ell - u choose that one to break your duck Twisted Evil The Vit will seem like a stroll....

Mucho respec' for looking down the valley of doom, flickin it the bird and comin out smilin!

You rock bruvver.....
SheilaP

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never wanted to be with you as much as I did on Sunday. The silence from the Lakes was deafening and Cenzo tells me they were protecting me from knowing the worse! I would have tried to talk you out the run as I know Cenzo and Cleo both tried, but I am so glad you did it. After all the training if you had come home without completing the race you would have been hell to live with! Rolling Eyes

Well done mate. Love you loads. xx
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: