Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
A Day In The Lakes ... short report for a loooooong day!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nacho [Nacho] Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: A Day In The Lakes ... short report for a loooooong day! Reply with quote

What a great race!!!! Though I wouldn’t have admitted to that during some of the bike and the first hour or the run.

Fortunately I missed the noise and the sex show on in the bottom half of the field Saturday night, as I had camped nearer to the lake at the top of the hill. I arrived mid-afternoon, pitched my tent and went for a walk along the lake shore, only to return to find that a party of teenage high school girls had pitched next door to me. Couldn’t believe it! Don’t worry … I didn’t perv!

RACE DAY

SWIM … convinced that I had a yellow swim cap, I didn’t listen too carefully to the announcements about the swim waves, until I realised that they hadn’t mentioned yellows. I returned to transition to find that I actually had a green cap! Doh!

I followed a couple of green caps down to the water, and then bobbed around trying to work out where the rest were. Saw some in the first wave (just as the horn went), and when I couldn’t see anymore on the shore, decided to follow those in front of me, so despite the lack of buoys to aim for, I just followed about 50 metres behind the bulk of the first wave. Clean water for the entire race … that doesn’t happen very often! Beautiful water too!!!

BIKE … managed to get onto the road without slipping on the gravel, and then to Pooley Bridge without being hampered by the campsite traffic. A nice ride to the foot of Kirkstone Pass, which was where the pain began. As someone else said, how can a bike go so slowly without falling over? I got to 3.5 mph at my slowest, which was the point when T_C went flying by, in what appeared to be his biggest gear possible, out of the saddle with the poor Softride squeaking for all it’s worth!!!

The descent was a beauty, and so was not having to turn right up ‘The Struggle’! Avoided the aftermath of a crash just after the 16% descent sign … hope everyone got up and continued (plenty of people around when I got there so carried on) … and managed to get control of some of the vomit that I had carried in my mouth from about halfway up the Pass!!

Started losing my leg strength about half way through. Not had as tough a few weeks as Repoman, but also completed Ironman Lanzarote in May, following by a yomp up and down Snowden the following weekend, a couple of Derby Tri Club Summer Series races, and the 27.5 Baslow Bootbash ultramarathon (a cross country race in the Peak District) two weekends ago. Plodded up Shap Fell, then enjoyed the final 16 miles or so down to T2, again avoided the worst of the traffic on the campsite road. Saw my colleague ‘Whitey’ going out on the run as I was coming in past the cross roads, and wondered if I would be able to catch him, as I did in a race last year. Never saw him again!!!

RUN … had a slurp of SIS Go in T2, and I was off. Felt a little stiff running through the field, as you would after such a tough bike, but thought (wrongly) it would pass. Turned right up the hill, and both thighs cramped! Bugger! Started walking and considered turning around to return, but kept going, expecting my first full death march. I think I walked about 5 of the first 5.1 miles to the aid station (which I thought was at 4 miles), and took a ten minute rest there, before seeing a guy with a Garmin, who told me the actual distance covered so far. Hmmm … I thought … only 7.5 miles or so left. I can do this. HTFU!!!!

Started heading up the next hill, and walked for the toughest part of it with Boondog. What a view from the top! Enjoyed the run back down the hill, and was only about 300 metres out in my estimation of where the aid station was. More water, and only 3.8 miles to do – which is the same distance as my short recovery run back home – so mentally picked up too. Overtook about 15 people during that portion (Wiganer too I think), and felt I ran quite strongly into the finish, a different result than I expected only a couple of hours earlier.

6 hrs 57 in total, with 2 hrs and 48 for the run. Not surprising given my difficulties in the first 5 miles. Thanks to everyone and anyone that checked I was okay during that section. Having DNF-ed a few times in full-distance races over the years, I wasn’t going to give in for the sake of a bit of cramp and a fluids crisis.

Great to meet some of the TT-ers over the weekend. Nice to get some jeers for the HMPS tri-suit.

Hoping to get into IM Austria next year, but otherwise will be returning … with a vengeance!!!
Badger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done, sir. A very long, hot day. Good to know someone knew how far the finish was from the aid station. Rolling Eyes

Top bombing.

B Cool
Nacho [Nacho] Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger wrote:
Good to know someone knew how far the finish was from the aid station. Rolling Eyes

That was the guy with the Garmin again.
OnTheRun

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:08 pm    Post subject: Re: A Day In The Lakes ... short report for a loooooong day! Reply with quote

Wooden-1 wrote:
Nice to get some jeers for the HMPS tri-suit.

It sure was a loooooong day!

I think I slowly ran past you on the downhill a mile or two before the first visit to the aid station. Noticed the suit but couldn't think of a witty (or not!) remark so didn't say anything...
ray

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done mate it sure was very hot and long day for most people
la marquise

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A Day In The Lakes ... short report for a loooooong day! Reply with quote

Wooden-1 wrote:
Plodded up Shap Fell, then enjoyed the final 16 miles or so down to T2,

Rolling Eyes Sorry Wooden-1. This race report failed where others gloried in magnificence:

You failed to say quite how utterly fabulous the TT support at the top of Shap was Wink
Spike

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooden-1 wrote:
Badger wrote:
Good to know someone knew how far the finish was from the aid station. Rolling Eyes

That was the guy with the Garmin again.

Garmins rule. I was cursing myself at the start of the run for wasting all of about 5 seconds struggling to get mine on. I'm sure it must have saved me many times that much during the run, by avoiding those depressing "bollox, am I still not there yet?" moments.
Nacho [Nacho] Man

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: A Day In The Lakes ... short report for a loooooong day! Reply with quote

la marquise wrote:
Wooden-1 wrote:
Plodded up Shap Fell, then enjoyed the final 16 miles or so down to T2,

Rolling Eyes Sorry Wooden-1. This race report failed where others gloried in magnificence:

You failed to say quite how utterly fabulous the TT support at the top of Shap was Wink

Ahem ...

Quote:
Nice to get some jeers for the HMPS tri-suit.

You did an excellent job. Good jarb!!!!!!
Cenzo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking effort mate, pleasure to cheer you on at the end

"Hold me Vince" - Big Willy 21/08/10
Cobbie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done for toughing it out Smile
wiganer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aha - now I think I recognise you.....I had a chat with Whitey on the bike course too !!! Very Happy

well done mate....it was hard graft out there for sure. Shocked
Cleo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report and lovely to meet you.
Well done for pushing through those cramps!
savaloy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IM Austria should seem like a leisurely day out in comparison Wink Very Happy
theNoor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooohooo!!!

I received an email from Rob Wilkins (ADITL organiser), in response to my appeal for an Ironman distance event in the Lakes, namely LakeMan.

His reply was, and I hope he doesn’t mind me quoting him, “We are thinking about it, but we will have to recover from this one first. The logistics and demands on marshals are massive in an IM. The don't cost a fortune for nothing. But I would love to do it. 2011 is probably more realistic.”

Game on!
Nacho [Nacho] Man

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

theNoor wrote:
Wooohooo!!!

I received an email from Rob Wilkins (ADITL organiser), in response to my appeal for an Ironman distance event in the Lakes, namely LakeMan.

His reply was, and I hope he doesn’t mind me quoting him, “We are thinking about it, but we will have to recover from this one first. The logistics and demands on marshals are massive in an IM. The don't cost a fortune for nothing. But I would love to do it. 2011 is probably more realistic.”

Game on!

Oh fukc.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: