Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Coeur d'Alene IM race report (Now with pic's)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
swim like a brick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Coeur d'Alene IM race report (Now with pic's) Reply with quote

"I don't think I can do this, I can't believe I've come all this way and spent so much money only to fail in the swim".
It was friday morning in a very windy Idaho.
I had met up with some Americans who I had been chatting with on the Begineer Triathlete web forum (recommended if you are only 1 of a few Brits in a US IM).
We had met up to do a lap of the swim course. Now all the lakes I have swam in the UK have been nice and calm.
Coeur d'Alene Lake looked like a rough sea!

On entering the water which to my surprise was very warm, I commenced swimming.....what a nightmare, it was so rough and choppy that I took in so much water when either breathing or trying to sight.
This was the hardest swim I have ever done. It would have been easy to have given up after the first 100 metres. I had those self doubts above.
However, I knew that I had to keep going to build my now shot confidence.

I completed the lap in a disappointing 45 mins. I was pleased to hear that the others all really struggled through the water as well.

RACE DAY

My alarm went off at 0330 Sunday morning. I opened my fathers day presents/cards before having breakfast
Together with my 17 y/o daughter Charlotte, who travelled to the states with me, got to the race venue about 0500 hrs.
I checked my bags in transition and took care of my bike, filling bottles and pumped up the tyres.

Time flew by and it was soon time to don my wet suit.
I gave my daughter a kiss and for the umteeth time went through arrangements to meet up at the finish.
It was then onto the beach for the start.

SWIM

What an amazing site, over 2100 triathletes crowded onto the small beach.
The gun went off, I was aiming for a 1:15 swim and so walked into the water near the back.
It was total carnage, I always forget how bad mass starts are. The whole of the first lap was a punch up. I'm sure people were trying to drown me!
I got out the water at the end of the first lap in 42' 39"
Back in again and thankfully there was more free water. However the lake was really rough. Without being hemmed in, I was able to do my bad sighting technique and despite a smoother swim, completed the second lap in 48' 21" = 1:31 swim - ouch.

T1
There was a short run up the beach, across the prom and into T1. here there was hoards of wet suit stripper pairings I was quickly eased to the ground as a very enthusiastic pair pulled the suit off my legs before lifting me back up onto my feet.

It was then a quick bag search before being directed to the change tent.
By this stage I had already heard about 10 people shouting "good Job" at me. This was a recurring theme of the day! T1 = 8'06"

BIKE

The ride was the best part of the race, amazing scenery and rolling hills of the like I have never seen.
I was amazed by the amount of support out on the course. A great site was a big group of hairy bikers having a race day party and cheering on all the competitors, they were going for at least 6 hrs beers in hand.

I stuck to my nutrition plan of a powerbar on the hour and a gel on the half and drinking 6 gulps every 15 mins this seemed to work well.
I stuck to a cadence of 80 -90 rpm
It was a 2 lap course. the first i did in 2:53' and the second in3:02' = 5:55
I was quite pleased with that as my target was 6 hrs.

T2

more help by one of the vast number of race volunteers, emptying my run bag laying out my kit and then repacking with my bike gear.

RUN
out on the run and my legs felt really heavy. My target was to do a sub 4 hr marathon.
As I started I realised that this was the first time during the day when I was out of my cardiovascular comfort zone.
Half a mile into the run I saw my Daughter Charlotte who was a volunteer at run aid station 1.It was great to see her and she seemed to be enjoying her day.

I did the first mile in 7'30", no wonder i was finding the run hard.
Just before mile 2 i passed Charlotte again. The run was a two lap out and back runalong the lake and through Downtown. Again, I was amazed how the community had embraced the event. you couldn't go 20 metres without hearing a "Good job".
About 10 miles in I wanted to walk. I decided that I would not walk until at least halfway.

Ok confession time, I did walk through the aid stations where I mainly stuck to flat cola
but was very strict with myself and as soon as i downed the fluid I started to run again.

I got to halfway in 1:49' and managed to refrain from walking.
I saw charlotte again on the second lap. Our plan was that after I'd passed her for the last time , she should give the aid station another hr and then make her way to the finish.
Bless her she did nearly 5 hours on the aid station.

I got cramp in my leg about mile 18 but managed to run through it. however when my lace came undone at mile 20, I couldn't bend down to do it up because of the pain in my quads. I eventually managed to find a bench and managed to lift my leg onto it and somehow re tie. I then had that horrible feeling where one lace feels tighter than the other without having the ability to do anything about it.
At mile 21 there was a killer uphill section where...............I walked. Only for 40 paces then ran for 40 before walking another 40 to the top.. . . Does that count?

I then had the realisation that if I continued to run, I could get that sub 4 hrs.
It was so painful as I dug deep as I started to race the clock. My god i thought, I've got to do this all over gain in 6 weeks at IMUK
The last half mile was in the downtown area. I really pushed as fast as I could to the cheers and "Good job's"

I crossed the line in 11:29'03" having run a 3:49 marathon.
It would have been nice to stay and soak up the atmosphere but it was the coldest June 21st on record and it had started raining during the run.

At the end of the swim I was 1600th , just over 800th after the bike and finished the run/race in 482/2153 overall.

If you fancy doing a try in the US, i would def recommend CDA. The area is really nice, the real America and as I wrote earlier the support by the community was out of this world and is clearly a massive event for them to host....and they do it so well.

I just hope that I experience the same sort of local backing in Bolton in 4 weeks!

The only downside to my whole trip was that my bag containing all my tri gear had it's own 2 extra days holiday somewhere in Vancouver airport!
01/02/09 Hell of Ashdown= 04:04:05
15/02/09 Tun Wells half marathon=01:31:44
19/04/09 7oaks sprint =01:34:19
17/05/09 Marshman middle dist=5:22:57
21/06/09 IM Coeur d'Alene= 11:29:03
02/08/09 IMUK = 12:24:15
05/09/09 Vitruvian

Last edited by swim like a brick on Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Bainsy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just hope that I experience the same sort of local backing in Bolton in 4 weeks!

I admire your optimism and call me sceptical - but i just dont see that !!!

Great report - i have my eye on IM Canada one year to get the nth american experience.........!!!

2006 IM CH, 2007 IMF, 2008 Norseman, 2009 100 hour Raid Pyrenees, 2010 Marazion, 2011 AXtri, 2012 - White Horse Challenge, Tonbridge, 2nd baby, 2013 - Aberdeen to Southampton bike, 2014 Gauntlet

2015 ?
JimboP

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report. Well done!

Not very often someone beats their target I'm marathon time by 10mins. Maybe there's hope for me next weekend after all Very Happy
swim like a brick

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bainsy wrote "Great report - i have my eye on IM Canada one year to get the nth american experience.........!!! "

I drove up to Pendicton on the way back to Vancouver and spent the night there.

It looks like a nice venue although there doesn't seem a lot around there to keep young children busy other than the lake's beach.

The lake was beautiful however, the water was still quite cold. Maybe by Aug it has warmed up!
I saw a map of the bike route and that looks interesting being just one lap affair and very scenic.

I have Germany next year so maybe will do Canada 2011

As for the crowds at Bolton, I livei n hope that they do turn out. Tho not holding my breath
05/09/09 Vitruvian
Pebble 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracking effort SLB, this is on my radar for the future. Wink
swim like a brick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now added some pictures to break up my drivel!
05/09/09 Vitruvian
RichO

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Job Exclamation Rolling Eyes Very Happy

Well done with your sub 4 run SLAB. I always considered sub 4 IM run to be the mark of a 'proper' IM and I hope to be up to your standard and manage it one day.

IMUK 6 weeks later - just about right I reckon. Just time to recover but not so much time that you have to get back into long distance training again. Good luck!
2011: Taunton mara, Boskman, IMUK70.3
2012: Duchy mara, IM France
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: