Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Steelman: First Olympic Distance - Race Report

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TeamAwesome

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 8:38 pm    Post subject: Steelman: First Olympic Distance - Race Report Reply with quote

So, I've never done an Olympic Distance race before and I've never written a race report before, so here goes...

I entered the Human Race Steelman at Dorney Lake a few months ago and was my 4th ever Triathlon. In my first season of 'racing' Triathlons my first Olympic Distance race came round very quickly indeed on Sunday.

So how did it go? Well for a start, I dont drive so rely on public transport to get to races. A significant shortcoming of planning for Sunday was checking that Taplow Station was open, which of course it wasnt so I had to get off at Maidenhead and ride, only another few Kms but not ideal!

Arriving at Dorney lake I was pretty relaxed, I completed a spring event there in May so was pretty relaxed about what I was expecting. The non-wetsuit ruling did add a bit of nerves as the extra bouyancy is always welcome but the water was a good temperature and I had been doing good work in training in the pool. Apart from feet cramping during the second lap I was happy with my swim and finished in 37 mins. I really need to learn how to draft, I never seem to find any feet travelling at the same speed as me!

Out of the swim, into transition. Was REALLY dizzy and spent too long trying to get my shoes on. Unfortunately i was racked right next to the swim entry and the next wave had started to congregate so having spectators added to the fumbling!

Onto the bike, my weakest leg. I found the blustery conditions really tough and my 'aero' position was not helped by the fact my saddle slipped back about an inch (it wasnt fastened to the seatpost properly). I struggled round the 8 lap repetitive but flat course in 1hr 23mins. Suffered with stomach cramps on the bike - not sure whether this is due to not eating/drinking enough or eating/drinking too much! Thanks to the guy in the red race top and silver Spiuk aero helmet for shouting 'go tritalk' at me while I was getting tired on the bike.

T2 was fine - socks on and out onto the run in double quick time

Run went ok. Usually my most comfortable leg of the race. I went too slowly for the first 5km as I wasnt sure how I was going to cope with the distance. As a result I finished strongly with 53mins and had much more left in me

Overall a 2:54 which I am really happy with as I was aiming for sub 3 hours. I'm also totally hooked after completing my 4th Triathlon and I'm now going to focus on my cycling over the next couple of months to improve power and endurance

Hope everyone else enjoyed the racing over the weekend and didnt get too sunburnt!

Chris

PS - I really need to learn to drive, riding home after a race SUCKS

http://goingultra.tumblr.com/
HamishShaw

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

Good effort mate! I traveelled down from manchester the day before and stayed with my photography mad uncle! got some great shots of me in swim and rest of course!

Was a good event! I raced in the first wave (35-39) as had to get home! was supposed to start at 2pm (Under 30 being a 21 yr old)!

Really enjoyed it also - especially the swim!!! i didnt need to sight as i was looking at the white cables underwater which the little buoys were attached to!

Unfortunatley i picked up some nice sunburnt shoulders - i cant seem to race properly with suncream on! they have just started to peel! mmm Nice!

The bike course was pretty windy in places! and the run was a proper mind job! how many laps have i done???

Good time for first olympic though! stick at it and ull get faster!

Hamish
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: