Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Winter Cycling Endurance to Running

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fast slow twitch

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:26 pm    Post subject: Winter Cycling Endurance to Running Reply with quote

I am still in the process of putting my base miles in - especially on the bike cause theres' just not enough Tri's about to merit not having another sport in which I can compete a couple of times per month - and runnings not for me with all the injuries. If I go above 30 miles p.w I usually end up with yet another bill from a sports injury clinic. Crying or Very sad

So....my winter base is led very much by my cycling - circa 10 hrs p.w. which I try to do up to 80% mhr. The question is, how much could this base complement my running - and to what degree Question
"Deep in my cells I know there's something bad at the end if I don't get through it. This keeps me honest. It keeps me scared. I am stronger because I know there is a consequence. I know I can't get away with slacking off. . Mark Twight, Ice Climber
AndyS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2004 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm basing this loosly on what I've been told recently, running is from the hamstrings and cycling is from the quads so two different muscles. Cycling shortens the hams as it's not using their full range and so lets them shorten which causes problems when you then go running. Cycling doesn't benefit running but running does benefit cycling.

However, I'll bow to superior knowledge.
Robert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think running benefits cycling but it certainly doesn't hurt! I think the only sports that help are skiing and ice skating (not the Torville and Dean kind!).

Interesting point re: base miles. If they really are base miles, I think 80% of max HR is too high. LSD training is about time in the saddle, rather than speed/power/endurance. I think you'd benefit more from taking it easy on LSD and enjoying them, esp if in company, by sticking to a ceiling of 70% of max and then getting some fartlek sessions in. I used to do 3 LSDs per week (max 3 hours each), interspersed by 3 fartleks (usually about an hour long). Don't have the time now, unfort.
AndyS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't base training about developing your aerobic functions? If so cycling would benefit running. However, sooner or later you'll come across a deficiency in something. Either the legs will give out or your breathing will. On my first hill session of last year it was my legs, not sure what it would be now. Went up the hills on Saturday OK.

I'm sure my big hurdle will be getting used to the different gear set on the road bike, not having that little 26 tooth inner ring to fall back on.
Robert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the aerobic training is always good for any sport. I was thinking in terms of muscle development.
AndyS

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

and it's always good to develop your muscle. Wink
Robert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Very Happy Twisted Evil
Sue

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy
Quote:
not having that little 26 tooth inner ring to fall back on.

--me to Andy, somehow its comforting to know you have more gears to change down to, now I watch the cogs to see how many I've left Embarassed

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2004 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So consensus is that it cycling will develop the cardiovascular system which will be of benefit to running Arrow however, specific muscular / tendon development can only be gained by sport specific exercise. Makes sense. Therefore, I can keep my running base mileage to an injury lessening 30m p.w I guess.

Sorry Rob, just to clarify, I usually try to keep below 80% mhr. Well below. However, I dont' fret if it gets around that - as long as the average is lower. The majority of roads around here are very very hilly so often its difficult. Good point though.
"Deep in my cells I know there's something bad at the end if I don't get through it. This keeps me honest. It keeps me scared. I am stronger because I know there is a consequence. I know I can't get away with slacking off. . Mark Twight, Ice Climber
Big Bopper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found that cycling helped my running. Once I started on the bike, my running up hills improved massively.

BB
RuthE

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read in a book by Steve Trew called triathlon that cycling up hill helped with running on the flat and running up hill helped with cycling on the flat.
I will relook at it tonight to confirm.
AndyS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doesn't cycling up hill use the hamstrings more? Standing up cycling does too, I think (can you tell I'm making this up as I go?). So if you're a mountain goat who stands up a lot then your hams will gain strength benefiting running. Be sure to stretch them out afterwards though, to get the full range of movement back. Someone told me to stretch hams for 2 minutes for every 15 miles cycled. Not non-stop but in 30 second lots.

Maybe part of my ham problem is that I hardly ever stand to cycle so had poxy weak hams then hit running too hard and didn’t take any notice of the ‘don’t increase your distance by more than 10% a week’. Stupid me.

Stupid
Daz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andy, try and do a short run after every bike session if you can.....even if it's just for 800m
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: