Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Why did ETU Champs, Holten raise so little interest on TT?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Al.f

PostPosted: Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting stuff. I often find that I struggle to find a thread on a race I enter - I always assumed that it was the way the TT index works (or rather doesn't work - actually I counted 5 ETU Holten threads of one sort or another in the run up to the event; if one of those dies a death it drops off page 1 (and to be honest that's as far as I look!))

Even for IMUK, you see the header says something like IMUk - THE thread to try to dissuade people from starting a new one and fragmenting the comments. I'd always presumed that the nature of a forum was that we would never be able to find a way of collating all stuff for a specific race into a single thread.

Anyway I had a sh!t race so I couldn't face a race report. Here's an edited highlights package, but without the cretinous comments from David Duffield.

The opening ceremony was (though let's be honest, the bar had been set pretty low by previous years) really pretty good. Two blokes with dodgy ponytails, plus a lady, all of whom could have cracked walnuts between their buttocks, appeared over the town suspended from a crane (and I mean a 200ft job!), then proceeded to do a stunning acrobatics show using no safety harness or net, just apparently a good degree of friction and a silk curtain. The fact that everything was soaked from a heavy thunderstorm (and I think the cobbles below would have won in a gravity assisted argument) added an extra frisson.

The Dutch don't do pasta. I asked a race official where I could get some pre race and he looked at me like I was mad ("go to Italy?"!) Went to the supermarket to discover the t/storm the night before had fried the electrics so all chilled and frozen food was off. Pre race meal was therefore bread and honey, except I had not read the label and the honey was actually a honey and lemon mix for sore throats. Yuk.

The idea to put race number transfers onto everyone (like the pros, rather than good old Pentel marker) was better in theory than practice. I messed up the first lot and had Jasmine Flatters (who by that stage was getting a little weary of muppets like me who couldn't read instructions) apply a second lot. Went for warmup swim. Got out of lake. Numbers did not Crying or Very sad

Applied Pentel marker, hastily.

Checked number, scrambled around for baby oil, then REapplied the correct number Embarassed By this stage I was looking less pro triathlete than naughty three year old who had been playing with pens.

As Crackerjack said, it was moderately hot, the lake swim was the cleanest ever (I could actually see the feet I drafted off!) and warm, I beat Cracknell out the water by 3minutes, then went backwards on the bike having discovered (after I nearly put my road bike in the boot as well as my TT bike, but then did not) that the ETU had found the only fecking hill in Holland (well, that and being a rubbish cyclist), had an OK run but loved the crowds on the short town centre loop.

Got sunburn. 39 and I still haven't learned. The funniest thing I saw was a very very burned gentleman from the Emerald Isle who peeled off the aforementioned number transfers to discover to his dismay that they were sunproof, so that he was left with a permanent, very white reminder of his race number in the middle of his redness!

Had one of best showers ever after the race in a portacabin in the car park.

The Dutch are lovely people, really friendly, everyone speaks English, but honestly they all seem to be mad as badgers. There was one middle aged lady with an accent like Harry Enfield's Dutch policeman in the Fast Show about half way up the steepest part of the hill, encouraging every single rider, in English, but I honestly haven't the faintest clue what she was on about. Chapeau to the whole town for their support.

Sorry I hadn't planned a race report but will that do you?
timmy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

.....good 'race report' al.f, yes what a performance from that crane too? I actually pointed my video at it and got the whole thing - albeit in Quicktime. At one point thought I might be witnessing a trio of very nasty deaths from the height they were working from.
The pasta party was actually very good, orderly and no queues and really excellent pasta too. You missed a good one.
That Dutch lady at the top of the bike hill was a star - mind you on the 2nd lap I could have gladly strangled her! I enjoyed the lake swim so much I decided to swim about an extra 200m off course - I now have eternity to live with mrs timmy constantly reminding me she beat me in the swim! The queue to rack the bikes in the heat of the day was a pain but the fault of other AGroupers trying to rack earlier than their allotted time. In the end I racked and had literally 2 mins before my wave swim start! I too had a sun burn created series of pale number marks on arm and leg!
Despite those few -ive points, a truly great event, which I risk criticism by saying, could not have been staged in this Sceptred Isle!
perdurabo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al.f wrote:

The Dutch don't do pasta. I asked a race official where I could get some pre race and he looked at me like I was mad ("go to Italy?"!) Went to the supermarket to discover the t/storm the night before had fried the electrics so all chilled and frozen food was off. Pre race meal was therefore bread and honey, except I had not read the label and the honey was actually a honey and lemon mix for sore throats. Yuk.

We all went to the free Pasta Party the night before the race. It was in the same building as the race brief earlier that day and you should have had a voucher for it in you race pack from registration. Was very good quality food. Not like the stodge they seem to serve up at UK races.

It was a great race in a great location. So much so that I am considering taking part in their annual event next year.
Cobbie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul L wrote:

Remember even very popular races with TTers don't get more that 1 in 10 of the entry.
- ADITL was around 40 odd from a field of 400 ish.
- The Vitruvian gets around 80-100 out of 800 odd.
- IMUK gets 110+ out of 1,500 odd.

So 30+ TTers at this race would be a huge turnout.
Do you know how many TTers were actually there?

OK, was being a bit slow yesterday, what PaulL has written has cleared my mind a little...so to build on the above...

Normally, there would be 10% TTers in a field, so let's say 35 in a British contingent of 340.
However, since only 15-20% of TTers would be eligible to start with, and since there are (I think) a smaller percentage of TTers focussed on olympic distance, my suspicion is that the actual number of TTers for this type of race is likely to be smaller, perhaps only half?
I would also go further and say that any oly distance race gets less responses than for a HIM or IM thread - as already mentioned, it takes so much less organising and is inherently less complex. The issue with multiple threads is also common, have come across it myself and is a combination of the low number of responses and peoples' inability (or inherent laziness) to use the search function Rolling Eyes .

My guess would be that oly-specific TTers spend more time in the training and gear sections as seconds are more vital in shorter races. So, pointy helments, wheels, interval training details etc are more critical I think.

No idea if that helps...but perhaps we are getting closer to answering the question Smile
Marco Panettone

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Al.f wrote:
peeled off the aforementioned number transfers to discover to his dismay that they were sunproof, so that he was left with a permanent, very white reminder of his race number in the middle of his redness!

Like this?:

Al.f wrote:

The Dutch are lovely people, really friendly, everyone speaks English, but honestly they all seem to be mad as badgers. There was one middle aged lady with an accent like Harry Enfield's Dutch policeman in the Fast Show about half way up the steepest part of the hill, encouraging every single rider, in English, but I honestly haven't the faintest clue what she was on about. Chapeau to the whole town for their support.

She was nuts! Great to see names painted on the road too. El Diablo nowhere to be seen, sadly.

Triathlon is unique in the sporting world with Interantional Age-Group championships. In every other sport you have to be PROPERLY good to represent your country, and you get selected. Tri works the other way - you apply for the team, do a specific qualifying race and get selected that way. You could win the qualifier but not compete at the championships if you haven't told the BTF BEFORE the race that you'd like to qualify.

Seriously, give it a go. It's an amazing experience. I don't have any thoughts of Olympic glory (unless every other triathlete in the country was killed in July 2012!), I'm simply not that good. But triathlon doesn't care! If you want a go, have a punt. Where else are you able to represent your country, just because you 'fancy a go'?

http://www.savethevelodrome.com/
nic*nic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MP, is there anywhere where people (ok me) could have a look and see what sort of qualifying times were required in sprint and olympic distances in the various age categories, to see if it is remotely attainable? I don't think I'm the only person who doesn't really know what they'd be aiming at, whereas for IM of course it's obvious. Yet another reason why IM is so popular on here I'd guess.
Marco Panettone

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At the moment there aren't specific times - there are 4 slots per age group for each qualifying race. These are offered to the first 4 across the line that have notified the BTF that they're trying to qualify. If you don't come top 4 (of people on the BTF list) then the 'roll-down' system is your best hope. If one of the top 4 declines their place (either through injury, lack of funds, change of mind, etc) then their slot is offered to the next person on the list. This continues until all places are filled.

In my qualifier (Ampleforth Leg-warmer) there were 22 people in my AG. 11 were on the list. I came 9th in my AG, and ALL those in front of me were on the list. So, 4 slots and 8people in front of me - not looking good. A few weeks later I get an email from the BTF saying that there was a slot open for me and did I want it. I was in!

It could well have turned out differently - I could've come 5th in a much faster time and missed out.

This process is changing from next year (I think) so that you have to finish within 115% of the AG winner's time. So, looking at last year's Bedford race, my AG winner finished in 2:01:26. To be in with a chance under the new rules you'd have to finish in 2:19.40(ish). I'm 25-29.

If you get round in 2:20 you could well be in with a shot. That's for Olympic Distance Wink

http://www.savethevelodrome.com/
FatPom

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
. Lack of NGB Support There's no secret that the BTF use the age groups as a cash cow (increasingly so it would appear) and to a certain extent that's fine as long as the funding is being invested in supporting the development of athletes, but the BTF don't really appear to sell the whole AG squad thing as something to be proud of? There may be the occasional write up is somebody does good, but they don't really support and publicise the squad.

If anything the GB AG squad is kind of the strange uncle of the BTF that they would prefer not to have around, but he has a huge stack of cash which he keeps throwing in to keep them afloat so they have to invite him to all the parties.

As recently pointed out, a huge haul of medals on Holland, a short write up about how great Mr Cracknell did, no photos, no pieces in the National press, no PR, not even a few words on the BBC triathlon website.

Maybe being seen as a valued member of the team and not the strange uncle / also ran may get people talking more?

If you swapped GB for AUS and BTF for TA you would pretty much word for word have replicated multiple threads on this subject on the Oz forum. This comes up on a very regular basis, it's not unique to the UK. It seems to be a very polarising issue.
Speedo Swimmer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good and well written reply CrackerJack

As an old hand at Tri all very true as I have seen it and heard it all over the years.

Hope you dont mind if I borrow it for another site?

Ta
SS
dalkiin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's some info on the btf website about qualification times, but it's not that clear (at least for a bear with as small a brain as me).

http://www.britishtriathlon.org/faq/page.php?article=293&category=/faq/
BTF FAQ wrote:
Can I see previous qualification times for both Sprint and Standard distance triathlon?

The results from the 2008 qualification races can be found under www.britishtriathlon.org/age then scroll to >2008 events > ITU sprint or ITU standard > scroll down on the event page and find related documents.

Or click here directly:
Sprint 2008
Standard 2008
matty_ellis

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:42 pm    Post subject: Holten Reply with quote

This was my first Agegroup event and I was very impressed. I have little time to blog/twitter etc as would rather spend the time training however so am as guilty as the next for not writing about my experiences for others to see.

I was a little disapointed in the lack of team organisation regarding the 'feeling' of being in a GB team, it felt very disjointed and fractured with little pre-organised team get togethers which I would have liked, however with 300+ GB'ers I can see why that would have been difficult. Maybe next time the agegroup team captains could organise a bit of a social a couple of nights/days prior (obviously some competitors will not be at the events until the day before though).

I would have liked to have seen more BTF coverage and more photos from the event (there seemed to be less photos than at a local triathlon) and would have liked a keepsake of coming across the line (at most other events ive been to there is always someone trying to sell you photos, one in a GB kit would have been nice!)

Can't wait (if I qualify) for the Worlds as the experience was worth the financial outlay and if anyone does want to read a report on my race there is one on the Tri-anglia website.

See people at Bedford.

Matt
Northumberland DNF (Can't count laps)
Fritton 3rd (2nd AG)-LOST ON RUN
Holten 15th (5th AG)-CRASHED BIKE
Bedford 11th (5th AG)
IMUK 10:41:06 56th/12th
CrackerJack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedo Swimmer wrote:
Very good and well written reply CrackerJack

As an old hand at Tri all very true as I have seen it and heard it all over the years.

Hope you dont mind if I borrow it for another site?

Ta
SS

Hi SS,

No worries, feel free to use wherever >Smile
Mile 16

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just stumbled into this thread and very interested to read the comments about GB age group racing v Ironman racing.

I raced for GBR in the World Champs recently in Oz and got zero interest from my tri club (despite being, as far as I am aware, the first GBR representative in the club), yet there have been a few club members racing IM this year and the interest from within the club has been enormous.

I think there is a massive amount of snobbery about IM distance racing. Having competed at both IM and GBR age group levels I think the snobbery is completely unjustified. For me, it was far harder qualifying for the age group team than it was 'finishing' an ironman race.

Cheers.

m16

follow me on www.twitter.com/SprintmanColin

IMA 2004
IMA 2006
IMCH 2007
World Age Group Sprint Championships 2009 - Gold Coast
Paisley

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

m16

I think the problem is now they have opened up qualification for 20-25 athletes and also the sprint it is now 50 athletes per age group potentially and I think this has taken the gloss off for me. Once it was a challenge and a half to qualify but now I see people qualify for the sprint who wouldnt really finish higher than mid pack most races yet get to the Worlds for most age groups (not all in fairness) and this has taken much of the achievement off

Agree most people can pace themselves to finish an Ironman but in fairness its the same people who do that who can also qualify for the sprint Worlds, but as many people dont know triathlon they are amazed by the distances hence the WOW factor

Dont mean to start a flame war, just my thoughts
Mile 16

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paisley wrote:
m16

I think the problem is now they have opened up qualification for 20-25 athletes and also the sprint it is now 50 athletes per age group potentially and I think this has taken the gloss off for me. Once it was a challenge and a half to qualify but now I see people qualify for the sprint who wouldnt really finish higher than mid pack most races yet get to the Worlds for most age groups (not all in fairness) and this has taken much of the achievement off

Agree most people can pace themselves to finish an Ironman but in fairness its the same people who do that who can also qualify for the sprint Worlds, but as many people dont know triathlon they are amazed by the distances hence the WOW factor

Dont mean to start a flame war, just my thoughts

Paisley, yes I see your point re. ease of qualifying because there are so many places available, which is why I suppose they bought the 115% rule in. Believe me, when you've got Andy Tarry in your AG, qualifying within 15% of his time ain't easy!

follow me on www.twitter.com/SprintmanColin

IMA 2004
IMA 2006
IMCH 2007
World Age Group Sprint Championships 2009 - Gold Coast
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: