Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
ASA Wetsuit legal open water swims

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DRB

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: ASA Wetsuit legal open water swims Reply with quote

Mrs DRB is chair of the National Masters Committee, and after last years Great North Swim is now a convert to the benefits of wetsuit legal open water swimming. As a result there is an open water swim at the Tees Barrage as part of the NE Region Champs. Here is the Link:

http://asa.sportcentric.net/db/calendar/view.php?id=3329

I get the impression the ASA would be happy to support open water swims that are part of triathlons, maybe a good way to sell triathlon to the swimming community and get more people to events.
Andrew

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funnily enough I was considering starting a thread in General about this and whether wetsuits should be allowed in swim-only events.

Whilst I appreciate their use is an aid to many people (and particularly in triathlon where swimming is often the weakest discipline) I can't help feel they shouldn't really be allowed. After all the debate recently about what suits FINA allow in the pool and how much advantage they give people there seems to be a lot of races springing up (and the Great Swim series is a prime example) where the use of wetsuits is almost expected.

My first ever competitive event as an adult when I started getting into doing more sport was a 2K sea swim event and it was brilliant. The temperature takes a bit of getting used to but once you are in you are fine.

Maybe if wetsuits are allowed, then two seperate sets of results should be used - those in wetsuits, and those without.

Out of curiosity which NGB oversees/licences things like the Great North Swim, blueseventy swim etc? Is it the ASA/FINA or the BTF?
patriciaa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer to swim without a wetsuit, it's much nicer
dalkiin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
Maybe if wetsuits are allowed, then two seperate sets of results should be used - those in wetsuits, and those without.

I'd be astounded if that were not the case. I'd be surprised if they were in the same wave too (to stop a "proper" swimmer drafting a wetsuited swimmer).

As much as I'm wary of the corporate brand that is behind the GNS, it's good that it's spurred such an explosion in openwater swimming. And kudos to ASA for noticing this and awakening from their mid-Victorian-amateur-sporting-club-ideal slumber. (My perception, anyway)

It's fairly simple, there are about 7 people in the country who do open water swims in bldsa-approved length speedos, and a bazillion who would do it in a wetsuit. The goose-fatters can call it "lake crossing" if it makes them feel better. Wink
barnetrose

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:

I don't think that should be the case in the swim-only events that are mainly aimed at triathletes - the VOTWO 3.8km series for example. Everyone has the same choice of whether to wear a wetsuit or not, so nobody is at a disadvantage.
dalkiin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

barnetrose wrote:
Andrew wrote:

I don't think that should be the case in the swim-only events that are mainly aimed at triathletes - the VOTWO 3.8km series for example. Everyone has the same choice of whether to wear a wetsuit or not, so nobody is at a disadvantage.

I'd just like to clarify that my "astounded" etc. comments were for ASA races. Also, I think if ASA did wetsuit and "proper" swim races together, then there'd be more people tempted to do non-wetsuit swims in the future. From the triathlon-side (VOTWO etc.) - as they haven't got any fine traditions to uphold, the only thing that would really make non-wetsuit swims worthwhile is clamouring paying customers...
zl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew wrote:
F
Pretty sure that where they are allowed this is the case, it is for Lake Zurich. My problem is that while I love swimming without a wetsuit, I don't carry much body fat and have Raynauds syndrome so get cold very easily.

I'm still looking for something longer than 3.8Km though not for this year. Really fancy 5-6km and then maybe working up to 10km
CJBrown

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By all means have "fun" events alongside ASA, Fina, BLDSA events, where swimmers can wear wet-suits, but until Fina change their mind about non-neutral bouyancy swimwear - and the noises they've been making recently have been in the other direction, more restrictive not less - then the main races should be kept Fina legal.

The up-surge in competitive long-distance swimming is great, and encouraging people into the water with parallel events might be a useful way to boost participation, but there isn't a shortage of people keen to do non-wetsuit races - as my missing the Brighton pier-to-pier after it filled up way in advance last year proved.

Cheers,

CJ
fenix

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think wetsuit legal OW swims are a great idea. Anything that gets people out doing things is fantastic by me.

I know the Dee Mile has seperate wetsuit / non wetsuit categories.

GNS last year got 100s of people in a bloody cold lake. Had it been a non wetsuit swim - i reckon it would have been about 1% of the field taking part.
ukironman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fenix wrote:
I think wetsuit legal OW swims are a great idea. Anything that gets people out doing things is fantastic by me.

I know the Dee Mile has seperate wetsuit / non wetsuit categories.

GNS last year got 100s of people in a bloody cold lake. Had it been a non wetsuit swim - i reckon it would have been about 1% of the field taking part.

We have just agred dates for OW swimming events for wetsuit & non wetsuit categories. We are also working with the ASA to promote these. Idea
See this thread:http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=59601&start=15
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: