Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Slacker and the Slackettes – Roth racing report
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slacker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Slacker and the Slackettes – Roth racing report Reply with quote

It being my first IM distance triathlon, I decided to make a long family weekend of it. The Slackettes (Oisin 12 and Joshua 9) came over with Mrs S, my mum & stepdad and mother-in-law. We arrived into Frankfurt and Munich airports and my folks came across by car. All went according to plan and we met up at the Novotel in Nuremberg by Friday lunch. We popped down to Roth on Friday evening and registered the slackettes into their Junior triathlon. Oisin had competed in a kids of steel race two years ago, Joshua was doing his first.

Sat 11th – the Slackettes Junior race.

We all arrived in Roth for the junior tri – as I drove into Roth and saw the “Welcome Triathletes” sign, I felt sick – nerves - and I wasn’t racing for another 24 hours. What was I going to feel like on race day? – I figured I’d not be able to keep my breakfast down on the day.
I wasn’t the only one with nerves – the boys were getting edgy – I probably didn’t help as I was getting a bit tetchy because I’d still not registered for my race or even built my bike, never mind dropped it off at T1.

Being the only British competitors there, I was concerned that the kids would make mistakes due to the language issues on the course. My fears were unfounded – I’d made a couple of small mistakes – gearing too high on the bike, shoes shouldn’t have been in transition etc but the helpers and officials were brilliant. Oisin raced before lunch, Joshua after. I had 15 mins away from the family with them to make sure they knew where they were going and settle them down.

Both boys showed signs of lack of formal swim training but did great on the bike and run. A 200m swim for a 9 year old is not trivial – I knew they’d cope well with the 5/10km bike and 1 / 2.5km run and was really proud of how they both attacked the course – Oisin came in after the race telling me how he’d picked off so many people on the bike and had pushed through the stitch on the run where some of the other kids had been walking, Joshua absolutely flew out of T2 like he had a rocket up his jacksie.
Oisin focusing on the job ahead

Joshua ready for the off...

Joshua out of T1

Oisin out of T2

Joshua flying out of T2 - Go Joshua!!!

Oisin finishing strong - good lad.

Joshua Collishe - You are a triathlete! Cool

Family Photo

Very proud dad!

It must have been the bbq smoke or perhaps it was a bit dusty around there but my eyes were a bit watery that day. As you can see from the pics, both lads had strong finishes and I was really pleased to see the support from nannies and granddad – it really meant a lot to them.
No F*cking medals tho – what is it with Germans and medals eh? Mad More of that later!

So that was the end of my rushing about – from now on, and the family had been warned to bugger off and amuse themselves for the rest of the afternoon - the weekend was all about me. Myself and Mrs S went and registered, then picked up the slackette’s bike, made mine up and checked it into T1.
I’d met Adrian and Scott at the hotel but time had drifted and we’d not got time for a drive of the bike course together. I didn’t really care tbh – I was going to do it anyway, I’d been up and over some of the worst Surrey Hills on my 23 rear cassette and knew that whatever happened, gearing and my legs wouldn’t be an issue.

Scott was great at helping me out with my numpty questions – I could have been more organised tbh with which bags had to go where but I got checked in, had a family meal later and had a good nights sleep from10:30pm – arranging to meet up at 4am for breakfast.

12th July – IM Race day.

No nerves. No drama.
Got there in the morning – saw Hywel, a pal Tony from A2Tri in Horsham and of course hung about with Adrian, Fix and Scott. I was pretty relaxed about the whole thing – it was just another tri – I’d never before swam the full 3.8km o/w before – did 3km last year and had done lots of training in the pool so knew I’d be ok.

The aim of the day was to get round, try and temper the asthma on the swim and run and, if possible, do 1:20 / 0:10 / 6:15 / 0:10 / 5:00 and smile all the way and that’s pretty well what happened. Crowd support was great and I waved at loads of people, shouted encouragement at every Brit and a Serpie on the run – turned out it was Cleo’s pal Melanie. Shouted at an ‘in the zone’ Daz on the run.

Swim was fine – just thought about loads of random stuff, kept out of trouble and trundled round with no issues – swam fairly strong all the way, no asthma.
I relaxed my lower body at the 3km mark under the bridge and scent-marked my wetsuit – top skills, top drills Very Happy

T1 was fine – lots of Germans waving their willies around in front of the female helpers. Mrs S is going to volunteer for transition tent duties!
So, out on the bike – I had loads of clothing options to choose from and took my gilet – good choice for the first lap.

Did the first lap a bit quicker than I’d wanted – came past T1 around midday and heard the dulcet tones of my mum shouting “Robert!!!!!”. Now I always joke that my name is Bob “Only my mum calls me Robert and normally only when I’m in trouble”. 41 years old and that shout still sends a shiver down my spine ☺.
I stopped dead, turned around and spent 5 mins munching down malt loaf, having a chat and a stretch. They’d all come a long way and I thought it’d be nice to make a fuss of them and it was the right thing to do.
With one eye always on my Mavic bike computer and specifically the HRM, constantly thinking about nutrition, not being dragged into being stupid by the brilliant support on the Solarberg and Greding hills, the bike went according to plan. I’d had another 5 min stretch stop after the 2nd Greding climb to make sure my hams were good for the run and although around the 100km mark I had a mini-bonkette, I soon got through that and came in off the bike feeling strong and ready for the marathon ahead.
Got changed – as TonyP pointed out, I really was the faffmeister in T1 and T2 with a combined 25 minute time – slack or what? Again – lots of willie-waving going on. I just stripped down to trisuit, fresh socks and my runners, had a whack on my inhaler then stuffed it and the bike computer in my pocket, picked up a load of powerbar gels and went out.

I had been warned to take the first 5 miles at a v easy pace and that just continued throughout the whole run. I didn’t let myself look at the time until I crossed the 21km mark – I was in at 2:16 – too quick really but was still feeling OK. I’d expected to start to suffer soon as this was my 4th marathon but was still feeling good – kept eating, kept at a pretty constant, if slow, pace.
Second thing I did that I was really proud of on the day; (with the exception the aid stations and a couple of hills) I RAN THE WHOLE MARATHON!!!
Not fast but I ran it all, and with relative ease as well.

Mrs S trundled in besides for the final 2k and started with some words of encouragement. Must admit I asked her to be quiet, told her I was fine – I knew what I had to do and knew I was going to get in easy enough.
Bit of a Buddhist thing I’d also been told was to concentrate on the now, not what had gone before and not really on what was coming. That really helped (cheers Vince – great advice).

I got through the finishing chute – heard my name, stuck my hand up to acknowledge the crowd and got over the line.
On many races I’d done before, getting to the line had been a real chore and I’d been drained – this had been relatively easy – if I’d been told I needed to go a further 10 miles to finish, I would have done it.

No F*cking medals tho – what is it with Germans and medals eh? Mad

Un-fecking-believable. No medals – “can we have your number and we’ll send it on?”. “You are f*cking joking?” That was probably the most emotional I’d felt all day.
So the rest of the people that came in up to 2 hrs after me also didn’t get a medal. The general organisation for Roth is brilliant – how can you get this one thing so wrong???

Ho hum – I got through, got my cert printed, was surprised to see a 13:09 – faster than I thought, got changed and necked a double redbull, met up with Adrian, Scott and the families, and by midnight had got our bikes and bags and was back at the hotel bar having a beer.

I have to say that it was great to meet other tritalkers – Adrian, Scott and their families were great company.

I didn’t blub over the line – it really wasn’t such a big thing as I imagined it would be – there were plenty of people who looked destroyed out there. I know now that I can go harder and faster and am thinking Copenhagen for next year and sub 12 hours. For now, I’m looking forward to the Vit, I need to buy a racing poncho. I decided on the run that I would do the Doyen of the Downs 36 mile ultra in December.

I easily hit the target I’d set last year when I started training under the guidance of Coach Carter.
Daz – I’ve said thanks but would like to say again, I have utter faith in you mate – you got me through my first IM in some style. I have to keep reminding myself that IM is a big thing and that I was on a nasty 20-a-day Rothmans habit and far too much beer and too many pies just 5 years ago and couldn’t run 100m.
It was great to hear you’d PB’d and are in fine form for the double and I wish you the best for that.

The next day back at the hotel, I logged in to TT to see all the good wishes and tracking that had been going on. Thanks for all the messages before, during and after the race – it’s great to see the level of support from the massive and means a lot.
What I now understand is that with a bit of effort, there’s not a lot I can’t achieve.

And that’s all I have to say.
Job done. Next.

Last edited by Slacker on Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
TonyP

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you sort out the faffin in transitions you will go sub 12 for sure! Wink Great report mate and glad you enjoyed it. Big up to Daz too for taking a fat bloke past the finish in style. Cool Wink

No medals - that is fooking outrageous considering the amount these events cost. I would be fuming. Evil or Very Mad
billy.fish

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Slacker, 'go team!' for every one who raced, sounds like good time, hope the rest of the family enjoyed the spectacle that is IM racing.

Great report too!

"That'll be ATP" says the barman
savaloy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report Rob(ert). Have you got your medals yet? Wink Shocked
Slacko

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great effort Bob, I wish my IMs to date were as easy!

That's annoying about the medal, same thing happened to Rach in Austria last year. She eventually got hers through the post but it's not quite the same as having it draped around your sweaty neck at the finish line.

You & Scottg should have a transition smackdown! Wink Very Happy
Daz

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloomin fekin awsome Bob!
I was really pleased to see that fast time of yours and gutted I didnt get to catch up at all around the race.

Running the whole of that mara is hardcore mate.....even some of the pros were taking the odd walk. We'll mutate you up to sub12 next year. Easy innit Very Happy

Cheers for the words and catch you soon for the bevvies.
Slacker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slacko wrote:
Great effort Bob, I wish my IMs to date were as easy!

That's annoying about the medal, same thing happened to Rach in Austria last year. She eventually got hers through the post but it's not quite the same as having it draped around your sweaty neck at the finish line.

You & Scottg should have a transition smackdown! Wink Very Happy

I think I am the king of transitions - they shouldn't have given me a chocolate biscuit , slippers, cup of tea and a comfy chair at 3 o'clock in the afternoon - a man of my age was bound to need a mid afternoon nap Wink

Last edited by Slacker on Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
dr dre

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice rep dude and well done to the kids Cool Cool

oh and to you as well Cool
wonderboy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

good job! It's amazing how simple things like running the whole marathon turn into big achievements!

good report
Slacker

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderboy wrote:
good job! It's amazing how simple things like running the whole marathon turn into big achievements!

good report

Confused Wasn't simple Will, I'm just as hard as fecking nails Very Happy
I think I know what you meant!
pip

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one, well done, I am glad the boss (aka Daz) worked his magic on you 2. Does he have a special 'finish in 13.09' plan?!

Last edited by pip on Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
wonderboy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slacker wrote:
wonderboy wrote:

good report

Confused Wasn't simple Will, I'm just as hard as fecking nails Very Happy
I think I know what you meant!

Good, I got a bit confused myself!
Cleo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clap
wheesh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Bob.
Angelina

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent report, well done Bob. So glad that Slackettes got to have their day as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: