Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Fav Carbo Drink & Why
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fast slow twitch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2004 11:14 pm    Post subject: Fav Carbo Drink & Why Reply with quote

Not sure which forum to post this on. Moreover, whether its been done before Confused Anyway, tis to do with training. Heard so many stories about carbo drinks - from people throwing up to being saved by it in the final throws of a race.

Anyway - I've used High 5 for the past couple of years - and its been ok. No side effects except it gets sticky (specially in the citrus variety).
"Deep in my cells I know there's something bad at the end if I don't get through it. This keeps me honest. It keeps me scared. I am stronger because I know there is a consequence. I know I can't get away with slacking off. . Mark Twight, Ice Climber
SJB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the High 5 Isotonic powder, just mix it up and away I go.

I've got a cast iron stomach so had no ill-effects. On a long run wouldn't leave home without it. Any run under 1 hour I either make sure I'm fully hydrated before I go or take a small bottle of water.

I've also used Gatorade which seems to work just as well.

The only things with the powder is that you need to make sure that you don't put too much in, if the carb content is too high then it won't absorb into your body as quickly / efficiently and could cause stomach probs. Best to mix in smaller amounts to start off with or if using pre-mixed bottles just water it down with water first to see how you get on.

For any long run over half marathon distance I will either take an energy bar with me (High5 Sports Bar) or a couple of engergy gels. I just feel that if I'm out on my feet for that amount of time then I should be eating something. (Though I'm sure the carb drinks would suffice on there own).

Once I finish a long run then I'll try and eat a protein bar as soon as I finish. Can't say yet whether it makes any difference but they are chocolate and taste great and by then I'm starving so that's my excuse. Wink
Sue

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Lucozade sports drink
why?
--can get them a lot cheaper form a friend
--they are used in London marathon so needed to get used to them for that 2 years ago

Like Simon my stomach can take most things, usually dilute the drink if going over an hour since can be strong and start to repeat )only use orange since found others repeat more). If under then just take water. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SIS electrolyte lemon&lime
..cos i bought a big bottle of the stuff and haven't finished using it yet, also prone to stitches on long events and indoors so wanted the electrolyte version.
can be a bit sickly, need to try some high 5 as it's going to be provided at my next race.
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

have tried a few but ended up using Maxim by default as it's about all I can get locally. It does taste good, doesn't seem to have any adverse affects and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have cafeine in.
SJB

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does anyone use the Recovery drinks. ?? I've got a tub of SIS Recovery but haven't tried it yet.
Stealth Attack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I've tried most on the market but have settled on orange gatorade. I relied on this at last year's HIMUK without ill-effect and I actually enjoy the taste. For long distance events/training, I carry 2 or 3 lucozade gel sachets or the ones from High-5. Like Sue, I have used Lucozade's sports drink extensively in the past ever since Tim Don (sponsored by Lucozade) gave me a massive box of the stuff in thanks for lending him my pyro platforms at the 2002 World Duathlon Champs, which he won. I may be crap, but at least my pyro platforms have won a world Championships! While I'm name dropping, Tim passed my platforms on to Michelle Dillon who, out of gratitude, sent me a genuine GB team baseball cap from the recent Commonwealth Games. Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get it off my son's head since!

Giantman

PS. I should explain that pyro platforms are flat, hard bottomed plates with a toe clip that fit into Look pedal cleats which allow you to cycle in your running shoes without losing hardly any pedal power. Useful for sprint triathlons or duathlons.

See my blog at : http://www.tri247.com/columns/rob_holloway.html
RuthE

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressed by the name dropping but more impresed by the platform things, Id never heard of them before, How much are they? and what else do you need for them to work?
Stealth Attack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen the platforms advertised (Tri and Run?) for about 90. The are not cheap but are ideal for fast transitions or for those who prefer to bike in their running shoes. The problem with this isn't so much with the toe-clip arrangement, but with the fact that they are normally bolted on to quill pedals which are not terribly forgiving when wearing soft soled running shoes. OK perhaps over the sprint distance but your feet might begin to ache over the course of a 25 mile Oly distance event. The Pyro Platforms get around this problem by offering a very hard, rigid base for the running shoe. The platforms can take either Look or similar pedals. The idea is that you lock the platforms on to the pedals in transition and once on the move, slip the running shoes (with your feet inside) into the toe clip arrangement. There is a velcro strap that you pull on to tighten up the whole arrangement. If you need to stop and put your feet down during the bike split, you simply twist the platforms out of the pedal and do the reverse when setting off. In transition, you would loosen the velcro strap whilst on the move and simply remove your feet from the toe-clip arrangement, preferably before coming to a standstill! To get a better idea, try a Google search of "pyro platforms". Who knows, you might even find a nice piccy!

Giantman

Robert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ed_m/duathlon_ed wrote:
SIS electrolyte lemon&lime

Yummy! I drink it even on training rides - but I prefer more diluted than it says on the instructions, otherwise too sickly.

Otherwise, prefer bars rather than drinks
ed_m

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SIS recovery is grim... still trying to use up the stuff i bought ! but no way i can drink 700ml in one sitting.

and i get the impression the SIS recomended amounts are fuelling drinks rather than isotonic type hydration drinks...

pyros.... very expensive.
Chris

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found tropical flavour High5 is the best for me - I just bought a new tub. However, my racing buddies think it tastes like sucking a mouthful of dirty coins.

I find that Lucozade Sport is too sickly, and the merest hint of that drink makes me want to puke. Even when hanging out at the end of a race I can't face it. The only thing I can do is dilute it half and half. Try that on the run!
Dave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been through most drinks and have for the past 6 months been using maximuscle viper and have found this definately works for me. There are different dilutions for pre loading, during the run and recovery. At the moment I intend to stick with this.
Stealth Attack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Impressed by the name dropping eh? Well now, have I also told you about last year's Eton Aquathon when I was chatting to Spencer Smith and ex- Aussie World Cnamp Emma Carney............

Giantman

LOpezzz

PostPosted: Thu Jan 15, 2004 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have to say that SIS Go Electrolyte drink is pretty good, tastes great as well - with one of their squeezy bottle, it's so easy to pour half a litre down in two go's.

As for bars, well SIS cherry/Vanilla is great! Gels still feel 'wrong' to me!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: