Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
London Marathon.....iPod friendly?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BEEF

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 7:49 pm    Post subject: London Marathon.....iPod friendly? Reply with quote

Jus wondered if anyone can tell me if the VLM is iPod friendly or not?

Thanks

STARTING WEIGHT: 19st9lb
CURRENT WEIGHT:17st13lb
nevans

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know what they will tell you you can or cannot do, but it is a very compact and busy space, with a lot of supporters and noise around you. You would be missing out on the event if you do.
Ben S

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sister ran it this year and wore an Ipod - no idea what the point of that is! We ran around London all morning trying to catch her in as many places as possible and despite me using my best teacher shout (almost in her face at a couple of occasions, she completely failed to hear/see us - "because she had her Ipod on and was in the zone!".

I can't say I'd ever do the FLM as in my opinion there are plenty of better events, but If I did it would be for the noise and atmosphere so wearing an Ipod seems to be missing the point.
Rodgerdodger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Held under UK Athletics rules so answer must be no.
kemptonslim

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In almost every organized race, iPods are a no-no. You can probably get away with it, but it astounds me that people are incapable of running without music.
Team Hurtmore

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kemptonslim wrote:
In almost every organized race, iPods are a no-no. You can probably get away with it, but it astounds me that people are incapable of running without music....

...and are impervious to other runners. Nothing more irritating than the 'i-pod' weave from someone right in front of you. Bl00dy bad manners.

Leave the ipod on the training ground!
TransitionTed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Team Hurtmore wrote:
kemptonslim wrote:
In almost every organized race, iPods are a no-no. You can probably get away with it, but it astounds me that people are incapable of running without music....

...and are impervious to other runners. Nothing more irritating than the 'i-pod' weave from someone right in front of you. Bl00dy bad manners.

Leave the ipod on the training ground!

....unless youve got a 4 hour loop of "I can do it, I can do it, I'll feel fantastic when I cross the line" type chanting downloaded

Wink
Doddsie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd guess a least 1 in 10 if not more people had ipod's at the last FLM.
My wife and I stood cheering for hours, though we'd always check if they had headphones on before wasting a cheer.
A lot more annoying in my opinion was the number of runners using mobile phones.
BW

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO if you're gonna wear an I-Pod you may as well do 26.2 miles on a treadmill Rolling Eyes

The crowd noise, live music and general atmosphere are like nothing I've ever experienced in any other race.

Personally I like to have a bit of a chat during a long race - find it very useful for keeping my pace under control. If you're wearing an I-Pod you're effectively saying 'leave me alone, don't talk to me, I don't want to interact with any of my fellow runners or supporters' - rather rude IMO.

Just my 2p of course Smile

BW
adrian73

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no idea about regulation, but people certainly use Ipods for the London marathon.

I don't think it bothers other runners as long as you can hear them and don't get in their way (i.e. if you are running slow, don't friggin' run over the blue line Mad Mad Mad Mad )

For some reason I like music during training and I welcomed it on certain standalone marathons after 1 or 2 hours (I couldn't stand it the full marathon).

I thought that it would be great to listen to music during the marathon at Roth (that unlike IM races, you can use ipods) but I couldn't stand it for long. I personally find it better to concentrate on my breathing and cadence and the music was just annoying me.
tony in london

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people take the i-pod issue way too seriously you know. Ok if it was a bike race there would be a safety issue but it isn't

I don't know about any rules but loads of people do use i-pods at the London marathon and I'd say each to their own.

It's true that the atmosphere around 95% of the course is amazing and you must miss out if you are listening to an i-pod but isn't that up to the poeple concerned? With rhinos, supermen, cavemen, and people in g-strings there is no shortage of other things to look at/ get in your way.

I would take a mobile though - its just the best way to keep track of people who might be there to support you - the reception at the end sometimes gets swamped but otherwise there can be a lot of hanging around for them and not seeing you/meeting up given the number of people there. Sorry if this idea offends any of the speed freaks aiming to finish inside 2 hours 30 of course Very Happy
nevans

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Willy wrote:
IMO if you're gonna wear an I-Pod you may as well do 26.2 miles on a treadmill Rolling Eyes
BW

You don't go to FLM for a new PB, but to enjoy the event, people and atmosphere that it has to offer.

Use that for your training, then leave it behind on the day.
finbar

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You don't go to FLM for a new PB

Why not? Its a good fast course.
BW

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nevans wrote:
Big Willy wrote:
BW

You don't go to FLM for a new PB, but to enjoy the event, people and atmosphere that it has to offer.

Use that for your training, then leave it behind on the day.

I would have thought a lot of folk (including me Smile ) went for a new PB and to enjoy the atmosphere, music, crowds etc. etc.

I'm not sure there's many domestic marathons offering such a good opportunity of a PB - especially if you're nearer 'the pointy end'...
Cen

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2009 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tony in london wrote:
Some people take the i-pod issue way too seriously you know. Ok if it was a bike race there would be a safety issue but it isn't

I don't know about any rules but loads of people do use i-pods at the London marathon and I'd say each to their own....

I would take a mobile though - its just the best way to keep track of people who might be there to support you...

Fully agree. I did it a few years ago now, but plenty were wearing headphones. I train with music, but chose to run without to soak up the atmosphere. If you're running with your name on your vest it's worth not having them so you can hear spectators cheer you on.

I ran with the phone and it was really useful to be able to (occasionally) update my friends on where I was/where they were. I agree it seems a bit much when people are running having a full chat for ages, but so long as they're not doing so walking down the middle of the route then can't see the harm in either ipods or phones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: