Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Race report for New Forest middle distance, cycle leg relay
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cowdude02

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:00 pm    Post subject: Race report for New Forest middle distance, cycle leg relay Reply with quote

Ok so picture the scene….

Race day, I’m doing the cycle leg of the New Forest middle distance for a friend (Claire) who wasn’t able to do the whole thing and twisted my arm (ok, I really wanted to do it! Very Happy) I just wish I hadn’t been asked 1 hour after I finished the Vit! hahaha

Up at 4am with my girlfriend Nicola (ooh err) and on Sandy Balls Very Happy and then onto the coach that took us to the lake. It was slightly cool at that time of the morning and tbh I wasn’t looking forward to standing around in my tri-suit waiting for Claire to come out of the water. But it started to warm as daylight kicked in and it wasn’t too bad.

Race brief was short and hilarious with Richard the race director giving his usual quirky race briefs, a very funny guy, and then I watched Nicola head off, followed by Claire in the second wave ten minutes later. I watched for a while, not at all envious (ok, I was, Ellingham lake is my normal once a week ow swim) and then made my way up to transition. It was quite surreal, watching people streaming into transition, giving me funny looks as I was just standing by my bike! I had to explain a few times “I’m doing a relay!!!!”

And then I was off! It felt really strange, I was cold and it took me several miles to warm up and feel comfortable. I had said to Claire I wanted to do the bike in 3hrs so I pushed the pace from the off and averaged 19pmh average for the first 20 miles. I was right in my element, until at 23 miles……

I had just overtaken three people, and eager to break them I pushed hard down the hill, hitting my top speed of the race, 59.8kph (37mph) when I rounded a bend and just a few feet in front of me was a cow, standing side on across the road!!! I was on the aerobars, and didn’t even have time to get off the bars, let alone reach for the brakes. There was an almighty bang and the next thing I remember was lying in the road, in pain like I had never felt before. I just lay there, I could hear someone asking me if I was ok, I wasn’t able to reply. All I could hear was the sound of bicycle wheels tearing past my head. Two people stopped to help me. A lone cyclist who wasn’t racing, who I never got the chance to thank. The other was a fellow competitor who was the last person I overtook before I crashed and witnessed the whole thing. No. 108, whoever you were, I am eternally grateful. Richard has promised to send me his information so that I can thank him properly.

In true cycling fashion my first words were “How’s my bike?” Very Happy She got off light, the rear cassette end bar lever had snapped, the front front derraileur cable had either stretched or slipped, leaving me with no big ring, and the rear derailleur adjustment was out as I couldn’t use my two smallest gears on the cassette without the chain trying to jump out of gear. So 8 gears out of 20… But other than that, not a scratch.

After a couple of minutes I was able to move and got up. When I figured out that No.108 was a fellow competitor I made him go. He had lost at least 5 minutes and I felt really guilty about that. He is a real ambassador to the sport. Smile I went off just after him, I was still very dazed, my left knee had taken a battering and hurt a fair bit and my vision wasn’t good, so I took it easy for the first couple of miles to feel myself out, but once I felt I could push again, I upped the pace. I wish I had a cadence sensor, my legs must have been flying! Laughing I caught No. 108 at Sandy Balls who checked up on me and said to catch him after the race as he wanted to tell me about it! Apparently “It was spectacular!” PMSL

I struggled on the second lap a little, my knee was grinding and I lost speed on the flats due to not having the big ring. But on the approach to Sandy Balls for the last time I saw another athlete in front of me, and I had to take him! I recorded my second highest speed, 48kph (30mph) which was ok for the little ring. Very Happy Bl00dy hurt though! Smile

I pulled into transition, and ran into the tent where Claire was waiting for me. I must of looked pretty crap as I got a “are you ok?” which prompted a “No, I’m not” before letting her go on the run. My bit was over. 

Claire’s swim: 47min 27 sec
My cycle: 3hrs 10min 18sec
Claire’s run: 2hrs 29min 49sec

Good to meet a lot of people/tritalkers, apologies I can’t really remember anyone’s names, I blame the concussion! Lol

Today everything hurts, ribs, shoulders, head, neck and left knee taking the brunt. My knee is huge, twice the size of my right and is a lovely shade of black. But all in all it could’ve been much worse.

Thanks to Richard, the race director who organised another great event, and who called over the paramedics to see me afterwards. Thanks to Claire for asking me to do it, loved it apart from mile 23! Smile Congrats to my Nicola who did her first ever middle. Smile and lastly thanks to all the people who helped me on the way, not just in this race, but over the last 12 months, my season in tri. Especially to the Mashes, who have helped me in many different ways and who have become good friends along the way. Smile

And lastly no more cow jokes! Laughing Very Happy
Tigger

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope you are ok. Next time, just remember that the cows won't mooooover over.
tweenster

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did the cow cross the road?

To **** up your race!

Oh sorry, you said no more cow jokes. Get well soon. Surely you can get a new bike out of it?
ttowel

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got pretty close going into Godshill. Was doing 35 when he pulled out, i thought i had room to pass but he got faster and i had to go off road and bunny hop the kurb.

Pretty scary with £1500 worth of loaned wheels on the bike.
soobee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wink
BLOG SOOBEEDOOBEEDOO

Last edited by soobee on Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
soobee

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't think you're going to live that one down for a while. Maybe time to change your profile name to Cowbow Dude Wink
BLOG SOOBEEDOOBEEDOO
Mrs Mash

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Race report for New Forest middle distance, cycle leg re Reply with quote

bikerdude02 wrote:

Especially to the Mashes, who have helped me in many different ways and who have become good friends along the way. Smile

Likewise Hug
Welsh Moz

PostPosted: Mon Sep 21, 2009 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever considered racing in Milton Keynes - www.big-cow.com

Very Happy

Glad you're okay and that you were able to carry on!
AuntieC

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Thanks... Reply with quote

I've been an on/off voyeur of TT for a little while now, but after Leo's post I feel I can't leave my thanks to him unpublished.

So while "thank you" seems to be severely lacking under the circumstances it's all I can say. Hugely impressed that Leo managed over 30 miles more after this little incident when I know for certain I'd have been in the back of an ambulance if it had been me! I hope that the after effects don't last long.

The motivation his efforts gave me meant that the training run I had planned turned into me actually putting some effort in for once! Hurt like hell, but a very good lesson in how much discomfort it's possible for me to handle. Knowledge I'm sure will prove invaluable in future races.

So thanks again Leo, and if there's a next time I'll try and ensure we don't get race number 13!

Oh, and for anyone interested in the cow, Leo tells me she'd disappeared by the time he got up Smile
Nello

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done for getting round in the circumstances, and good to know the damage isn't too bad. Now, if you'd done a bike course reccie with me, I could have warned you about the animal 'hotspots' on the course..including the pig family near the Bentley garage. At least you missed those. Cool
2012 Goals: Sub 150 lbs (done), Sub4h Marathon (done at Belfast, 3:57), Sub 20m 5k (current 21:55), and FASTER generally..
Cowdude02

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks... Reply with quote

AuntieC wrote:
I've been an on/off voyeur of TT for a little while now, but after Leo's post I feel I can't leave my thanks to him unpublished.

So while "thank you" seems to be severely lacking under the circumstances it's all I can say. Hugely impressed that Leo managed over 30 miles more after this little incident when I know for certain I'd have been in the back of an ambulance if it had been me! I hope that the after effects don't last long.

The motivation his efforts gave me meant that the training run I had planned turned into me actually putting some effort in for once! Hurt like hell, but a very good lesson in how much discomfort it's possible for me to handle. Knowledge I'm sure will prove invaluable in future races.

So thanks again Leo, and if there's a next time I'll try and ensure we don't get race number 13!

Oh, and for anyone interested in the cow, Leo tells me she'd disappeared by the time he got up Smile

Hug As far as I'm concerned I got the better end of the deal with that run! I'd rather take out a second cow than do that run! Very Happy Relay next year? Wink

Quote:
Now, if you'd done a bike course reccie with me, I could have warned you about the animal 'hotspots' on the course..including the pig family near the Bentley garage. At least you missed those.

Hehe, thing is Nello, I've done the course quite a few times in my preparations for the Vit as I only live 10 miles from Sandy Balls. Wink I have never seen any animals on that road as it's pretty steep and heavily wooded both sides.... Confused Mad Oh well. Wink

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/13666983

Garmin link for anyone who wants to know where I went down... Wink
wonderboy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Thanks... Reply with quote

AuntieC wrote:

I was given this number the first time they did this race - I crashed and didn't finish!
tivmeistergeneral

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you're ok and can see the amoosing side of it. I had a couple of moments where the guy in front of me went past a cow/horse/donkey in the road only for the cow/horse/donkey to swivel around to see what was going on resulting in a blocked the road and heavy braking from me. All part of the fun I guess Smile
theprawn

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eat some veal, it'll make you feel loads better. Smile
Wackostatto

PostPosted: Fri Sep 25, 2009 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should listen to the race briefs - when Richard says be careful of animals in the New Forest - HE MEANS IT
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: