Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Why more running events?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

11th at Sevenoaks - only 7 places behind you. Not bad, considering it includes transition (and I take ages) and it's only 28Km. AND you have a bike worth 3 times mine. AND you're 13Kgs lighter than me. AND I've always disliked TTs, preferring road races.
Chris

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhh,

saucer of milk
Robert

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Daz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy Shocked

Where did you get the 11th from Confused

7oaks Bike split
Daz - 47:20 (13th)
Rob - 51:48 (49th)

Yeh rob its due to transition! Rolling Eyes hehe
Daz

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

and i do remember you doing only 6 lengths of swim (instead of 16) and then flying through transition fresh as a daisy Laughing
fast slow twitch

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

some good points coming up.

As we speak, Cycling Time Trials people are involved in a mega debate regarding time trialing on drag strips - roads which have large traffic flows. A friend of mine describes these as 'riding a two-up with Eddie Stobart', cause there's so much traffic assistance. Sadly, there have been a number of fatalities on these roads involving cyclists.

There a plans to move away from the drag strips to more technical courses - already a league for these is included (SPOCO) the CTT calendar. Sometimes these events do not attract that much support and there are nearly always places. Time Trialing is a very individual component of the sport. Furthermore, I would argue it is more individual than running - with a lot more emphasis on pb's than place. I find running can often be corporate with regards to excuses 'one up manship'.

One thing I have noticed on the time trail scene are the top names from traithlon who I see regularly amongst the starting line up. Remember Julian Jenkinson riding a rather rapid time-trial just before he won LD one year. I think triathletes could bring a breath of fresh air to time trialing - spec some of the ladies. Smile

Theres' nothing to fear, and everything to gain as most people appear to be within a peak of their running yet there appears so much room for improvement on the bike. I know a guy who actually knocked over 20 mins of his half ironman time - on the bike leg alone - and was able to complete the run a lot easier.

Am I missing something here or are people in a comfort zone with a bit of fear acting as gatekeeper Question
"Deep in my cells I know there's something bad at the end if I don't get through it. This keeps me honest. It keeps me scared. I am stronger because I know there is a consequence. I know I can't get away with slacking off. . Mark Twight, Ice Climber
Big Bopper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FST - Julie Dibens came second in the British National Time Trials last year.

Giantman - I agree with your choice of Tim Don to go with AJ, but I would still like to see Lessing there as well. Amey would make a good reserve.

Oops. This is becoming a multi-subject thread!

BB
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fast slow twitch wrote:
As we speak, Cycling Time Trials people are involved in a mega debate regarding time trialing on drag strips - roads which have large traffic flows. A friend of mine describes these as 'riding a two-up with Eddie Stobart', cause there's so much traffic assistance. Sadly, there have been a number of fatalities on these roads involving cyclists.

Do you mean that riders are drafting behind cars? If so, that's a VERY stupid thing to do - no wonder there have been fatalities!

There is some sort of wind tunnel effect, however - it's almost as if all the turbulance caused by the vehicles cancels itself out, leaving a twilight zone of little wind resistance. I've noticed that I can go much faster on these roads, not just because of the better surface.
Chris

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Picking the surface is a great way of making things easier. Ironically, most of the 'cycle lanes' around London are like gravel, whilst the thick white line that indicates the edge of a bus lane is beatifully smooth, and a pleasure to ride on
Sue

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris
Quote:
Typical, I'm looking at my watch!

----just got it Very Happy Very Happy
(but it did take me ages to download Embarassed )

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert wrote:
Do you mean that riders are drafting behind cars? If so, that's a VERY stupid thing to do - no wonder there have been fatalities!

There is some sort of wind tunnel effect, however - it's almost as if all the turbulance caused by the vehicles cancels itself out, leaving a twilight zone of little wind resistance. I've noticed that I can go much faster on these roads, not just because of the better surface.

I have seen riders drafting caravans and lorries. It illegal, stupid and dangerous. I have also seen the result of this.

Even if people are not directly behind a vehicle, the slip stream or turbulence from a continual line of hgv's makes for a faster time. The twilight zone with little wind resistance can be exactly that. Still better than a headwind. Strange thing is, some people regard these times as their pb's. Lot of debate about installing a handicap system, or using points for the year round BBAR comp.
"Deep in my cells I know there's something bad at the end if I don't get through it. This keeps me honest. It keeps me scared. I am stronger because I know there is a consequence. I know I can't get away with slacking off. . Mark Twight, Ice Climber
Daz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey!
Only prob with drafting behind a van, caravan, lorry (or tractor if you are that slow Mad ) is that they might not see you. If they slam on their breaks you might find yourself doing a great impression of a pizza on their back Pissed Off
AndyS

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a chap at work who swears that drafting a lorry is the best way to get a high average speed and plans his rides to take in as many main roads as possible. He keeps on and on about me going out for a ride with him and his mates to get a better time around the block. I've explained the dangers over and over and told him that I'm training for a non-drafting race so what's the point in going out in a pack situation to draft lorries.

I refuse to go out with him which brings on the 'chicken' etc comments. But he won't enter Sevenoaks tri and race under controlled conditions so who's the coward! Just makes for a really annoying day at work when he starts up. Sooner or later one of them will get injured and then they'll all be highly surprised that it's happened to them. Daft but what can you do?
Daz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hehe what exactly do they have to brag about? Who can go the fastest stuck behind a lorry (or which lorry is the faster I presume Confused )

Yes you should challenge them to a tri or duathlon (if they cant swim). I think you have far more bragging rights than them mate being a TRIathlete.....should think you have plenty of ammo Idea
fast slow twitch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My thoughts too Andy. Can always go out with the local 'chaingang' if they have one. Its' not just the vehicle slamming on either. What happens when they flick up a piece of debris at 45 mph. Or.....something falls off one of those trucks with an open top. Rolling Eyes Like a squashed car!

You dont' have to be brave to chase lorries - stupid yes, brave no.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: