Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
DecaIron 2009 - Mrs Putt Putt's race report
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mrs Putt Putt

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:28 pm    Post subject: DecaIron 2009 - Mrs Putt Putt's race report Reply with quote

DecaIron Race Report from the other half, Mrs Putt Putt

I will start at the beginning, Lensahn 2009! Mr Putt had a great race and had mentioned to me in passing that there was a Deca in Mexico in 2010 which Mr Putt was considering doing. I agreed it could be discussed and Nov 2010 seemed so faraway I thought I was safe.

Mr Putt suddenly had a great idea! As he had trained so hard for Lensahn and was at his peak he felt it would be foolish to let all that training go to waste and 2 weeks after the Triple he signed up for the Deca in 2009!! This much to my surprise as I had a few holidays planned for 2009…….well four to be exact! I wondered if I would be able to fit another two weeks in for Mexico! I was suddenly booking flights, sorting accommodation, organising our three children and two dogs to be looked after etc etc.

At this point I would like to say that none of this would have been possible without my very dear best friend Rachel and her husband Tony, Not only do they have five children and a dog of their own, but twice this year they have looked after our family without hesitation and done a fantastic job. With military precision everything worked like clock work and for this I am forever grateful. To leave the children for nearly three weeks is difficult but Rachel is like a sister to me and the children had a great time. As Mr Putt says they are officially part of Team Cusick.

Mexico sounded lovely and Putt had told me I would have plenty of time to myself to read and soak up the sun. Unfortunately, this not to be the case!

The evening before day one, I got all the bags ready for the race, made up two drinks one for the bike one for the swim, got a bag of food ready for the bike, packed my sunglasses book and flip flops and off to the pool I went in the back of a cramped truck. I counted the laps, helped Putt out of the pool took all the wet gear back to race HQ again in the back of a truck and within minutes I heard a shout from Putt “When am I having my next drink”

The three hours he told me I would get while he was on the bike turned out to be more like three minutes! From that moment on my life changed for the ten days I was there. After getting in that evening past midnight I made soup and fed Putt, did the washing in the bath and by the time I got to bed it was about 2am.

It would only get harder as the days went by. Putt became very demanding - I had a shout of “I want icecream” I had to get a taxi go to the supermarket then get back, taking about 40 mins. Mr Putt shouted at me when I got back, Why had I been so long, he needed water and food and..............where is that ice cream I asked for ages ago.......

I kept my calm smile and waved, I thought…………….smile and wave, It was so hot that I had to get Putt ice water every few laps but Putter never slowed down so things did get spilt on occasions, especially with rice pudding, soup, pasta etc.

Putter had put together a very detailed list of food and drink and timings. It lasted one day......after that I made it up as I went along and he was none the wiser. He seemed to think his list was going really well so no harm done!

Wayne’s wife went home on the Wednesday. It was Saturday before Rick arrived so I helped Wayne out so in the end I was helping out three people which was hard work. Greg who was struggling big time asked for food etc so I went to get him sorted, much to the annoyance of Mr Putt who was not at all impressed if I wasn’t there when he turned the corner, even though he was fine, what would of happened if he really needed something and I wasn’t there..........?

This was my life running after him on the bike and then every lap of the run I ran with him (sometimes literally struggling to keep up whilst juggling drink bottles, food, gels etc) for about 2-3mins while he took a gel, biscuit or drink. I ran miles in those ten days and I suffered with blisters on my toes and my legs were really aching but I couldn’t say a word as Putter was suffering 1000x what I was feeling.

My blisters got so bad I thought I would see the medics. As I was sat on the couch Putt whizzed past on the bike and thought it was hilarious! This wasnt my only trip to the tent - I got stung by one of the many wasps attracted by the sugary drinks and food around the crew area. My hand ballooned up and they removed the sting with tweezers and stuck some ice on it - the medics answer to everything.

By day 3 I decided that midnight washing had to stop and all the clothes could go to the hotel laundry, wish I had done that on day 1. We ended up paying £140 for this service throughout the week but it was invaluable. I at least got more sleep that way. Mind you, we are still picking out the tags from our clothes.

We had about four hours sleep a night but most nights I was clock watching, my big fear was that we would over sleep and miss the beginning of the race a recurring nightmare of mine for 10 days, silly looking back on it but a very real worry when you are so tired.

This was how our lives would be for the foreseeable future, bed by 12.30-1.30am up at 6am for swim bike run!! On I think day 8 I had a very unfortunate mishap. Our bathroom was quite small and Mr Putt being very tired first thing in the morning sat asleep on the toilet while I ran the shower. I wobbled and fell backwards landing on his poorly toe! Poor man. I couldn’t really say much. Sorry didn’t work so I told him at least we know he still has blood flow and the toe was still alive and that could only be a good thing! Mr Putt was busy biting his tongue!

We used to joke about the medical tent quite a lot. The medical team were lovely but there was always a worry that he could catch more in the tent than he had gone in with!

I had decided that Mr Putt deserved a big reception on his arrival over the finish line so I went on a shopping spree for champagne beer etc. Once word was out on the circuit I ended up with a shopping list as long as my arm with a variety of delights ordered by various different countries!

I had been reading all the comments on Tri Talk and Endurance UK and I ended up an emotional wreck. The comments were all so lovely and positive with bags of admiration for Putt that I often had to put my sunglasses on to hide my leaking eyes. Probably a combination of lack of sleep and seeing how many people were following Putt’s progress made me feel very proud of him and very tearful. My children were following avidly and commenting which also tugged at my heart strings.

And so it was day 10 arrived a day I couldn’t even think about until it was here everyone was in high spirits and knew they just had to get through the day and it was all over. A cooler day with light rain so great for us Brits, just what we are used to. Putt got a bit bored on the bike, I think 10 days of going round the loop was taking it’s toll. On to the run and Putt looked good.

Music ready (“Ive got a feeling tonight’s going to be a good night” by the Black Eyed Peas). Got to have whatever you can get hold of! Champagne lined up and flag draped over a chair on the run course. I gathered all the crews, athletes together to cheer Mr Putt over the finish line! I had a few tears, more relief I think but Mr Putt was busy drinking champagne from the bottle! I told him he still needed to do a pee sample yet and I am sure alcohol was probably not what they wanted to analyse.

I give the whole experience 9 out of 10. I met some wonderful people, had some very odd taxi rides, tried to get by with a little broken Spanish but best of all I saw Mr Putt do what he went to do. 4th place was a bonus.

To me he is an exceptional person, a wonderful husband and as mad as a box of frogs, but he’s mine and I love him! And even more importantly, as a result of this experience, I am now a tri talker!

Last edited by Mrs Putt Putt on Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
dr dre

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That has got to win a prize for best first post on TT

Welcome to TT and well done on being supporter of the year !
Norsemandave

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Top job Angela and top post as well. Second what Dr dre says.

Going to print it out and take it with me and show my wife if she moans at next years triple Smile
Cleo

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Angela! We're all full of admiration for you, too. It's not easy trying to think ahead and react to someone else's needs no matter how well you know them... and to mask your fears and struggles so they're not distracted.

Clap Hug
Micky Tri

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behind every good man....
Well done. I am sure my wife would have told me where to go by the end of day one
Spike

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. 10 days of that lot is a real feat of endurance. I wonder if we could do a spot-the-difference on yours and PP's reports?

Oh, and welcom to TT. Smile
IRON MONKEY

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great stuff.
Well done to you both.
n
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Mrs.Putt

Behind every good nutter....

Good job Exclamation Cool
Your effort & achievement dwarfs that of the lucky soul who only had to swim, bike n run while you did all the hard work. I reckon all the kudos should go to you Smile
85IM+11DIM+D+2Q+2T=133IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-16
Mrs Mash

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: DecaIron 2009 - Mrs Putt Putt's race report Reply with quote

Mrs Putt Putt wrote:

To me he is an exceptional person, a wonderful husband and as mad as a box of frogs, but he’s mine and I love him! And even more importantly, as a result of this experience, I am now a tri talker!

Great report Angela. Always good to see it from the wife/crews perspective. Mine and Mr Mash's version of Double Ironman are very different!!

He is indeed mad as a hatter but your pride and love for him is heartwarming Date

You are most definitely a TTer now! Welcome Hug
McC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't women brilliant. Cool
steve_r

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TT. Your updates were well appreciated during the event. That is truly remarkable the support you have given (maybe you could have a word with my missus). I seem to remember reading on putt putt's blog about a michelin star restaurant meal he treated you to before the event, I would imagine you at least deserve something similar!
adrian73

PostPosted: Thu Nov 26, 2009 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow!!! That's what a call Love!!!

My wife has gone to great lengths for me (and God knows she still does ) but your commitment is just outstanding!!!

Well done Angela!!!!

Also thanks for posting this great report and welcome to TTalk!!!
Big Ted

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report, great performance and thanks for the updates during the race.

Welcome to tritalk - you are most welcome Smile

Leave all this misery behind"
die trying

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I will get my wife to read it - maybe she will realise I am not that bad after all................

Well done Mrs Putt Putt and welcome to the forum. Your a god damn diddly doodily hero!!! Thanks for the report.
IM Lanzarote
IM Florida
Paul L

PostPosted: Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TriTalk Angela. Cool

It is a pleasure to add your side of the story to the Epic Race Reports thread.

I'd suggest you keep stepping on Pete's bad toe until the idea of doing another Deca goes away! Twisted Evil

Plus an extra cheer for your friends looking after 8 kids for 3 weeks! Shocked

Take care, Paul. Very Happy

EDIT - For typo. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Paul L on Fri Nov 27, 2009 10:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: