Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
spin class - "and hover" - is this good?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
running dad

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: spin class - "and hover" - is this good? Reply with quote

I started doing a spin class near my work at lunch times; it's handy and the music is good. However there is lots of being shouted at to move around on the bike, not just standing up, but isolating the legs to 'hover' an inch over the saddle and leaning forward over the bars to sprint. I just sat or stood as I seemed to recall reading that some of these moves were perhaps not the best for you? Anyone know or have links to any references on this?

ta, RD
TransitionTed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a Spinning instructo will NEVER teach this move.

and if your instructor is teaching it and calling their classes 'Spinning' then their wrong .
'hovering' is not a Spinning move as Spinning does not encourage any isolation moves i.e. moves that stop your body from naturally moving left and right.

Smile
GeordieM

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You get all types teaching "Spinning" classes thees days, from fully qualified Spin TM instructors to the grossly obese "instructor" down my work gym.

I've been to random classes where you are encouraged to bop your torso to the beat, do mini-pushups, rotate your body back and forth etc.

It all sounds like a recipy for an injury to me, so I stick to the normal method of cycling whilst spinning, and leave the bopping and jiving to the gym bunnies Very Happy
marktickner

PostPosted: Sat Dec 19, 2009 3:45 pm    Post subject: hovers Reply with quote

Any movement that isolates or freezes the body in any position is biomechanically ineficient and inefective. The body cannot relax so in doing so is subject to injury.
Any instructor that asks anyone to do this type of movement has no grasp of real cycling movements and specificity and will only be doing these movements as they have either been taught to do them by whoever taught their orientation clinic, or because they have no idea how to keep the riders motivated by doing safe and realistic movements.
I find that instructors that do not ride outside are the ones that tend to do these silly and stupid movements. Also those that have a background in teaching exercise to music (aerobics, step etc...) are the ones that try to find a way to keep riders motivated and make their classes 'fun' by doing these unsafe practices.

As a triathlete / cyclist, when participating in indoor cycling classes just think before doing any movement. Think... 'Do I actually do this movement or cadence outside on my real bike on the real road'? If the answer is no, then DO NOT get suckered into doing it.
Likewise do not get drawn into 'competing' with others around you and trying to go that little bit fater with your legs than others etc... you have no idea how much resistance others have on their bike and visa versa!

Spinning instructors are not taught these silly movements. If they teach them then they are simply not very experienced.
Technical Director/Head Coach - www.A2Tri.com
Follow me on: www.Twitter.com/MarkTickner
BEEF

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've bene to classes that are advertised as "Spinning" but ended up doing moves such as "Hovvering, press-ups on the bars, both hands on one side leaning over" and such like........

I'm pretty sure ifthere was an injury whilst doing these moves when advertised as SPinning, the club or instructor could potentially be in "deep doo-doo!"

I have been teaching Spinning for almost 5 years and having ridden in other classes (Indoor Cycling, Spin & RPM) I still feel that Spinning is the only one that actually replicates road riding and the techniques involved.

That said I still have an issue with 3 or 4 sec interval jumps as I can't remember the last time I did 15-20 jumps in 60 secs on the road!!! Technique practice?? i guess......

Long live Johnny G!
CURRENT WEIGHT:17st13lb
Rofster

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TransitionTed wrote:
a Spinning instructo will NEVER teach this move.

I'm not afraid of naming names here. I am a member of an LA Fitness gym and have in the past attended hundreds of Spin classes, branded and named Spin.

Every single class I have attended I have been told to "hover", I stopped doing it once I realised the injury implications and haven't done it since, hover that is.

Even if the result is not what you expected, just wake up and do it again...
cygnusx

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to a couple of spinning classes - quite enjoyable until a stand in instructor got us doing press ups whilst spinning. I could feel it wrecking my back - not been back since.
marktickner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 12:57 pm    Post subject: classes Reply with quote

Have to agree that it doesn't matter what classes you go to wether a Spinning, RPM, Keiser, Trixter, Bodybike, Tomahawk, Schwinn or any other branded class... it is all down to the instructor!

So many instructors out there get qualified (well at least attend the initial 1 or 2 day course) then apply what they percieve to be safe and effective movements in their classes as they have neither the expertise, education, experiance or knowledge to actually practise and teach safe and effective cycling practices!

As a Master Spinning Instructor I see so many excellent athletes / triathletes teaching indoor cycling classes but they turn out to be terrible instructors. Why?
Simple... many believe that doing training sessions / sets / exercises that they read about in training manuals or read on websites such as this one or others about what the pro's do or what they may themselves do in their own training are suitable for the general public! WRONG!

The majority of about 70% of all gym users are in fact those that simply wish to lose weight, get fit (not fitter), get fit and healthy and feel good about themselves and what they see in the mirror.
Most do not care about performance, what heart rates they should be training in, lactate threshold or other specific training. They just want to participate in a safe, fun and effective class that meets the need of what they want to achieve.
If you treat people as athletes then you are simply opening yourselves up to the potential of losing these members in some way shape or form.

However, many in fact love this type of training and keep coming back for more.

What I would say is that as an instructor you use these athletic practices to a degree, but fine tune them to suit the population of the class. This means not as intense for as long, more recovery, more fun orientation (but done effectively and not doing stupid crazy things that can easily damage and injure yourself, like hovers, press ups, isolations, freezes, laying arms on the handlebars like you have aero bars on... yes thats right!).

So as an instructor, do not do unsafe practices... if you need help in this matter just email me.
If you participate in indoor cycling classes and an instructor wants you to do these crazy and stupid movments then it's simple... don't do them and keep riding the bike as it should be ridden... as a bike!
andygates

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So what are the injury implications?
2010: Burnham 1:26:11; Bristol Harbourside
Free Garmin UK Maps: www.ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps
marktickner

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: injury Reply with quote

Depends what movement or position you are doing!
boondog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we were shown something recently where you stand up , stick your bum back a bit, and then carry on as normal whilst looking in the mirror, but your head should not be bobbing up and down. (easy, this is the training thread !)
You take more strain in your quads, but how is that different from squats ? or are we talking a different kind of hovering ?
TransitionTed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondog wrote:
we were shown something recently where you stand up , stick your bum back a bit, and then carry on as normal whilst looking in the mirror, but your head should not be bobbing up and down. (easy, this is the training thread !)
You take more strain in your quads, but how is that different from squats ? or are we talking a different kind of hovering ?

im not sure about any of that, boond. but, as far as my classes are concerened (and i cant speak for any other instructor) i try and keep my Spinner programe as close to riding a road bike as possible given the circumstances. i try and encourage a natural and flowing posture on the bike, good consistant rpm and a mixture of hill climbing, flat TTing and sprinting depending on the focus of that class.

i dont do anything else, i dont encourage any 'special' muscle strengthening exercises for either upper or lower body. Spinning is supposed to be a 'bike' class. very simple.

if members want anything else surely theyd go to circuit or body pump.
boondog

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the same instructor does all the above classes, maybe she gets bored and introduces other things.
it's be interesting when the day comes that all the bikes are wired up, and a leaderboard of resistance, speed, cadence etc is shown, make spin more competitive Twisted Evil
TransitionTed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondog wrote:
the same instructor does all the above classes, maybe she gets bored and introduces other things.
it's be interesting when the day comes that all the bikes are wired up, and a leaderboard of resistance, speed, cadence etc is shown, make spin more competitive Twisted Evil

you can do this

there is a projection programme where each class participant's stats e.g. heart rate and cadence are projected onto a blank wall or screen. nobody knows who is who but its quite good and does encourage a competition element.

im not sure whether or not i agree with it. it seems to go against what the Spinning programe is about i.e freedom on the bike, go at your own pace etc.

Smile
running dad

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2009 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all - this is all very useful and interesting. I have just been doing my own sweet thing in the class - but do feel as the rest of the class see me as a kill joy not joining in! Not that I mind, the music is good and with the carp weather I do see it as a good opportunity to get a hard 45mins session in during the day. I've not spoken to the instructor to explain my lack of engagement - and I can see her looking at me during the class kind of wandering what I'm doing.... I'm not sure if I should explain to her outside of the class, or just carry on doing my thing? I don't really want to get into long discussions - and not if it's me saying "what you teach is wrong"!! Does anyone have any references to this type of move being bad for you?

RD
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: