Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Richmond Park 3 Lap Challenge (The triathlete version)
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jibberjim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:13 pm    Post subject: Richmond Park 3 Lap Challenge (The triathlete version) Reply with quote

Over in Roadie land, the Richmond Park 3 lap challenge is one of the stock tracked racing/training sessions, ~1 hour all out, is much better than your 2x20's, it hurts more, so it must be doing more right?

Here's the Bikeradar guidelines, from their thread:

Guidelines:
1. 3 continuous laps of RP, anti- or clock-wise (or a mixture), with the general view that anti is easier/safer/quicker.
2. Start, rolling or standing, where you like and finish at the same place.
3. KEEP IT SAFE. Squeezing through that gap might make all the difference in beating your PB, but far better you live to fight another day and improve even more. In the red mist of the 3rd lap it is VERY easy to forget this and indeed to annoy the hell out of other RP users. To this end, attempts are best made very early at the weekend, mid-morning/mid-afternoon during the week and just before dusk.
4. Given '3' above, feel free to comment on the traffic, suicidal deer or even the horrendous westerly. The reader can adjust his/her impression of the time and it might dissuade you from roundabout madness.
5. Most of us try to avoid drafting. You might not be able to help it in traffic, but you'll probably be losing more from the traffic than you're gaining anyway.
6. In the entry feel free to mention : your bike (TT/shopper etc), your weight (seems to be a tradition) and even your 'type of rider' (sprint triathlete, pro olympic, Ironman, AG winner etc.); and, in the text, perhaps your aim for the year .
7. Please add your post to the previous list, and try to make sure you use the most recent list, so we don't lose entries. Remove your old entry and put your new one in time order, emboldened for easy viewing.

Almost all of the times on the Bikeradar thread are set by roadies, on road bikes, so as triathletes with TT bikes, there should be some very stiff competition, and if as Dominic once suggested you want to go run the Park Run after make sure you mention it, respect at least will be your reward!

The times are pretty irrelevant, but it's a great test of fitness and also a great training session in itself, there are riders from under 50 minutes to 80, 90 and beyond, don't worry about where you come, they'll always be someone faster than you, and someone slower, but it's great to watch improvements!

Nick------------------------Dir-------Weight----time------Month----ToR
JibberJim................... Anti........75kg......58.00........Jan.......Aimless roadie
KingstonGraham............Anti.........74kg......68:39........Jan........Triathlete

Last edited by jibberjim on Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Whisk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Given the current condition of the road surface in the Park, you might want to add a new column for "number of punctures" Wink . The last couple of times I've cut through the Park on the way out to Surrey I've ended up picking Richmond Park flints out of my tyres as I've fixed my punctures further on into the ride Mad
jibberjim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
Given the current condition of the road surface in the Park, you might want to add a new column for "number of punctures" Wink . The last couple of times I've cut through the Park on the way out to Surrey I've ended up picking Richmond Park flints out of my tyres as I've fixed my punctures further on into the ride Mad

Now they're not having to cope with ice, the roadsweepers are out a lot more often and it's much better condition now - although I did see one guy fixing a puncture out there this afternoon.
KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Richmond Park 3 Lap Challenge (The triathlete version) Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
they'll always be someone faster than you, and someone slower

tsk. I'm waiting.

I always find lap 2 to be the difficult one to keep pushing through. You haven't just started, and you can't see the finish yet. Need to work on keeping a constant speed.

I'll be under an hour this year if I get the confidence to go down the hills at a decent pace on the gravel.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Richmond Park 3 Lap Challenge (The triathlete version) Reply with quote

KingstonGraham wrote:
I'll be under an hour this year if I get the confidence to go down the hills at a decent pace on the gravel.

I'm sure you can, winter time is generally 2 minutes or more slower than summer time (cold air is heavier than warm air = more air resitence) and the weather and traffic on the day can make many more minutes difference. Look out for the moderate east winds on a warm day!

The gravel will go too.

And as for being bottom of the list - you're only bottom of the list of people who've put their time up, think of all the slower ones!
chickenboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Richmond Park 3 Lap Challenge (The triathlete version) Reply with quote

Good idea!!!

JibberJim................... Anti........75kg......58.00........Jan.......Aimless roadie
KingstonGraham............Anti.........74kg......68:39........Jan........Triathlete
Chickenboy..................Anti...........85kg......61:22........Jan.......Tri
jibberjim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Richmond Park 3 Lap Challenge (The triathlete version) Reply with quote

chickenboy wrote:
Good idea!!!

I guess, I wasn't clear enough, you stick yourself in position for the order, ie:

So I'm afraid KingstonGraham is still waiting for the elusive slower people (mind you until today I was at 71 minutes on the BikeRadar thread, convenient that I chose to post it after that ride isn't it!)
chickenboy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doh!
SmallAngryMan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might well have a crack in due course- but a lot of the fun has gone out of the descending now with the new road surface. I guess most of the loose stuff should have gone in a few months (weeks?)

Not really so angry these days!
Marko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marko..........................Anti...........82kg......62:28........Jan.......Triathlete

Good idea Jim, will be nice to see the times in comparison to other Triathletes as opposed to seeing it hammered by all the fast roadies!
That was my first ever attempt at it last week so looking forward to better weather, better surface and getting the TT bike out ot hopefully break the hour soon.
camerons

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to give this a bash but just so I am clear about the direction... if I come in Richmond Gate would I need to turn left or right to be going anti clockwise? I'm assuming I would be going right?
jibberjim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

camerons wrote:
I'm going to give this a bash but just so I am clear about the direction... if I come in Richmond Gate would I need to turn left or right to be going anti clockwise? I'm assuming I would be going right?

You go whichever way you want, just say in the list what it was! All the above are Anti clockwise though, ie turning right from Richmond gate and staying on the inside making left turns around the park.

Anti is generally considered faster, but strong north/west winds can make clockwise faster.
Fat Tony

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this - will have a go when i'm next in the area (someone has to prop up the bottom of the table... Rolling Eyes )
camerons

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks mate. Anti clockwise (now I know) is definately faster for me.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing - Rather than just say "triathlete" in your Type of Rider cat, can you say what type of triathlete? ie AG Podium IM or Elite Olympic, or Newbie plodder or whatever you think describes your triathlon in a little more detail, chances are everyone but me (and a few duathletes) are going to be "triathletes"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 1 of 38

Jump to: