Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Richmond Park 3 Lap Challenge (The triathlete version)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 36, 37, 38  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jibberjim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenboy wrote:
Haha, yeah yeah yeah. Without sounding like a complete dufus though, considering they seemed in full speed ahead race mode, and dropping a couple of fellas off the back, they seemed a bit $hite. Now I'm no speed merchant, but I managed to get my lard arse passed them with 7 laps in the legs.

There have lots of groups all graded by speed, the focus though is about skilful group riding, it's not primarily about racing around as fast as they can - although obviously you'll get people trying to go with groups faster than they are.

They certainly have groups going faster than 54 minutes for 3 laps though - but they also have groups I'm faster than when pulling a trailer, not everyone is fit!
B.B.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a bash this morning and shaved 9 secs off my June time. Starting at 6am, so had a nice clear run and it was fairly light wind. First time this year in full aero gear and squeezed out an extra couple of watts vs June, but at 12 degrees and misty just not a fast morning. Watch out for the deer!

Name-------------------Dir-------Weight-----time-----Month-------ToR (Watts etc.)
B.B............................anti........72kg......48.41....Aug.........TT, 808 f,disc r (NP320), aero top, oversocks & aero helmet
sm0akes....................anti........69kg......53.29....Jul.........Felt B2, stock wheels, helmet
funkin.........................anti........79kg......53:37....May.........P2, race wheels (NP322)
Chickenboy.................anti........85kg......54:22....june.........slice
YKK............................anti........70kg......54:30....Jul...........Clip ons, commuter wheels
Itevensout..................anti........87kg......54:40....Jul...........Tribike, normal helmet and wheels
KingstonGraham..........anti........69kg......58:32....July.........Road bike
Sav1lle......................anti........83kg......59:18....Apr.........Road with clip on bars
kieranyo....................anti........82kg......59:42....June........Giant TCR Avanced 2 (Road) with clip on bars
mabeevor..................anti........75kg.......60:21....July........Road bike
Dezzy Boy.................anti........65kg.......62:07....July.........Tri bike
Reidy......................clockwise....84kg......63:07....Aug.........Road bike with clip on aero bars
Oscar_P.....................anti........71kg......63:19....May.........Road, tri race configuration (Aero clip on bars, wheels) Av 203W
Chris_Swyer................anti........93kg......64:33....May.........Road bike
The Anti Coach.............anti........72kg......68'44"...Apr.........Condor Tempo fixed 48-18
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
chickenboy wrote:
Haha, yeah yeah yeah. Without sounding like a complete dufus though, considering they seemed in full speed ahead race mode, and dropping a couple of fellas off the back, they seemed a bit $hite. Now I'm no speed merchant, but I managed to get my lard arse passed them with 7 laps in the legs.

There have lots of groups all graded by speed, the focus though is about skilful group riding, it's not primarily about racing around as fast as they can - although obviously you'll get people trying to go with groups faster than they are.

They certainly have groups going faster than 54 minutes for 3 laps though - but they also have groups I'm faster than when pulling a trailer, not everyone is fit!

You've also got to consider that they shouldn't really be travelling faster than 20mph either. I know they had a lot of attention from the police a few years ago (after one of their riders was seriously injured in a crash?) and they're obviously a very high profile and visible presence in the Park on a Saturday morning, so from the club's point of view they can't really be seen to be hammering round in the same way that a single, anonymous rider can. It's not as if the police don't know where to come looking if they start getting complaints Wink
DefinitelyNotShaggy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
jibberjim wrote:
chickenboy wrote:

You've also got to consider that they shouldn't really be travelling faster than 20mph either. I know they had a lot of attention from the police a few years ago (after one of their riders was seriously injured in a crash?) and they're obviously a very high profile and visible presence in the Park on a Saturday morning, so from the club's point of view they can't really be seen to be hammering round in the same way that a single, anonymous rider can. It's not as if the police don't know where to come looking if they start getting complaints Wink

It doesn't stop them though. I got caught up in one of the groups a few weeks back - I was yo-yoing at the back for a while doing 450w then 0w then 450w. Sub 19-minute lap pace. And another one of their groups came past like we were cycling backwards. I wasn't on the back for long though as I stopped for traffic at a roundabout whilst the everyone else cycled straight through determined not to lose the wheel in front, and causing a car to screech to a halt.

FWIW - the 20mph speed limit only applies to motorised vehicles, according to the 2010 royal parks regulations. But the interpretation of law regarding "wanton and furious driving" can be a little vague, although I think that you have to injure someone to get done. I did see the police pulling over cyclists the other day and noting down particulars. I'd love to know on what basis?
Whisk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DefinitelyNotShaggy wrote:
FWIW - the 20mph speed limit only applies to motorised vehicles, according to the 2010 royal parks regulations. But the interpretation of law regarding "wanton and furious driving" can be a little vague, although I think that you have to injure someone to get done. I did see the police pulling over cyclists the other day and noting down particulars. I'd love to know on what basis?

That's not what the police think! Rolling Eyes I've definitely seen them pulling over speeding cyclists and I've heard lots of stories of cyclists being issued with tickets for speeding. I thought there was some bye-law that related to the Park that brought cyclists inder the same speed restrictions as motor vehicles (although TM01 and others have questioned the legality of it Wink ).

Given that cyclists are not legally required to have speedometers on their bikes, it seems a bit harsh to fine someone for going over the speed limit, although if you're travelling well over 20mph and overtaking cars then it's difficult to claim that you didn't know you were speeding Rolling Eyes
Shaggy.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The regulations are here -

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/1194/pdfs/uksi_20101194_en.pdf

And then relevant parts that I can see -

Quote:
Speeds at which a vehicle may be driven or ridden on a Park road

2. On a Park road in Bushy Park, Greenwich Park or Richmond Park, at a speed not
exceeding 20 mph.

And the key thing is this -

Quote:
Citation, Commencement and Interpretation

“vehicle” means a mechanically propelled vehicle intended or adapted for use on a road.

Reidy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaggy. wrote:

Quote:

2. On a Park road in Bushy Park, Greenwich Park or Richmond Park, at a speed not
exceeding 20 mph.

Quote:

“vehicle” means a mechanically propelled vehicle intended or adapted for use on a road.

Does it not have the 20mph signs with pictures of cars, motorcycles and bikes though?
Shaggy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reidy wrote:
Shaggy. wrote:

Quote:

exceeding 20 mph.

Quote:

Does it not have the 20mph signs with pictures of cars, motorcycles and bikes though?

I don't remember seeing any with pics of 'vehicles' or cycles on?

EDIT - you're correct. A little googling and this is what I found -

So who's right - the sign or the regulations?
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is a bicycle not mechanical, albeit powered by a human? Confused
poofinger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it applied in the park. One of the few places that it does.
Shaggy.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2013 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whisk wrote:
Is a bicycle not mechanical, albeit powered by a human? Confused

"...mechanically propelled..." so only Cancellara's bike if you believe the rumours Wink
Reidy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2013 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaggy. wrote:
Reidy wrote:
Shaggy. wrote:

Quote:

exceeding 20 mph.

Quote:

I don't remember seeing any with pics of 'vehicles' or cycles on?

EDIT - you're correct. A little googling and this is what I found -

So who's right - the sign or the regulations?

The only reason i remember is when i see them i think it the police stop me, i will have to hide my bike computer....lol
chickenboy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't really say I was having a proper stab at this. Second time on the bike since last August and traffic tastic, but good to put a marker down to gauge future 2014 rides. It all starts again Smile

Chickenboy .......anti......80kg........ 1:03:38......jan.......Road bike
ollam69

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gave it a go this morning. After the loss of my dad i really couldn't be bother to do anything. So i though this challenge was a good way to start. Nicely at the bottom of the list and hopefully a good way to motivate me to get back into training and on the bike. Hopefully i did not screw the table

Name-------------------Dir-------Weight-----time-----Month-------ToR (Watts etc.)
B.B............................anti........72kg......48.41....Aug.........TT, 808 f,disc r (NP320), aero top, oversocks & aero helmet
sm0akes....................anti........69kg......53.29....Jul.........Felt B2, stock wheels, helmet
funkin.........................anti........79kg......53:37....May.........P2, race wheels (NP322)
Chickenboy.................anti........85kg......54:22....june.........slice
YKK............................anti........70kg......54:30....Jul...........Clip ons, commuter wheels
Itevensout..................anti........87kg......54:40....Jul...........Tribike, normal helmet and wheels
KingstonGraham..........anti........69kg......58:32....July.........Road bike
Sav1lle......................anti........83kg......59:18....Apr.........Road with clip on bars
kieranyo....................anti........82kg......59:42....June........Giant TCR Avanced 2 (Road) with clip on bars
mabeevor..................anti........75kg.......60:21....July........Road bike
Dezzy Boy.................anti........65kg.......62:07....July.........Tri bike
Reidy......................clockwise....84kg......63:07....Aug.........Road bike with clip on aero bars
Oscar_P.....................anti........71kg......63:19....May.........Road, tri race configuration (Aero clip on bars, wheels) Av 203W
Chris_Swyer................anti........93kg......64:33....May.........Road bike
The Anti Coach.............anti........72kg......68'44"...Apr.........Condor Tempo fi
Ollam69...................mixed........72kg......70'30" .Aug.14.........Road bike
stenard

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hadnt seen this thread before I dont think. Seeing it pop up just made me have a look back through my history and see what I had. I think my best was the first 3 laps of a 4 lap effort in the spring:

stenard.....................anti........71kg......62:56....March.......Road bike with clip ons

Sub an hour is just about doable I think, but sub 50mins is seriously impressive.

I have to be honest though, I've spent hardly any time in Richmond Park over the summer. It was just stupid busy every time I went. I've ended up doing most of my training towards the end of the summer on the turbo following a trainerroad plan.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 36, 37, 38  Next
Page 37 of 38

Jump to: