Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Richmond Park 3 Lap Challenge (The triathlete version)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ollam69

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did it today at 8.30 not many on the roads and to be honest not much traffic either. Is getting cold and many people leave the bike at home which is quite nice.
IronMike

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not been out myself over the summer as it is just too busy. I don't really do the park between June and September as the chances of getting a few flying laps in are pretty much non existent - unless you head there at 5am which I am too lazy to do...

As for the Dynamos. Well, as a member I can assure you there are some seriously rapid cyclists in the club. I have a pb for 3 laps of the park of 49:58 and usually ride with either group 3 or 4, and most of the time I have ridden with them, will have been dropped by the time we reach the end. I put it down to not being able to accelerate like a roadie, so when the attacks happen on lap 4, I just go off the back despite seeing big numbers on my SRM. I am a big unit as my boss said to me yesterday...Too big to chase 60 kilo whippets up the long hills anyway.

I think the dynamo issue has been done to death somewhere else on this forum, but from my experience of the club, they are a friendly bunch, albeit a little more serious than the average group of cyclists. As I say, I don't ride over the summer in the park, and at 8:30 - 9am by the time the dynamo session gets rolling, the traffic is crazy and it ends up being a 4 lap coffee ride with a few sprints up the hills. I will be back out in a few weeks once it all dies down a little.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IronMike wrote:
Too big to chase 60 kilo whippets up the long hills anyway.

There's no long hills in the park! And most of Group 1 are not that little!

IronMike wrote:
I think the dynamo issue has been done to death somewhere else on this forum, but from my experience of the club.

They're a good club, they require volunteering - which is a problem with large clubs where too many people hide in the numbers and don't help out. Cycling races and TT's are still promoted by clubs almost universally, and LD do a pretty good job on that (although no Open TT, but that's partly because the RP TT is a club event really...)
IronMike

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you weigh as much as I do in off season there are plenty of long hills in Richmond park! Actually, for the UK, I would consider to 2 miles or so from Roehampton cafe up to Richmond gate long. It's not steep or hard and only really kicks up at the top, but it's still a bit of a drag, particularly on lap 3 of a flat out time trial, or lap 4 of trying to hold onto the back wheel of the faster dynamo groups!
stenard

PostPosted: Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
Hadnt seen this thread before I dont think. Seeing it pop up just made me have a look back through my history and see what I had. I think my best was the first 3 laps of a 4 lap effort in the spring:

stenard.....................anti........71kg......62:56....March.......Road bike with clip ons

Sub an hour is just about doable I think, but sub 50mins is seriously impressive.

With the weather quite nice Saturday morning I thought I'd give RP one final bash and see where my training over the summer had got me. I've pretty much not been back since the above ride.

Managed 62:15, so a 41s improvement. I did do it clockwise though which I believe is considered a bit slower, and the second and third laps I had traffic hold ups. On the first lap I did 20:17 which was 59s faster than my previous clockwise pb according to strava, so I'm fairly happy with that (actually, all three laps were faster than my previous pb).

It will be interesting to see whether I can step forward again with some more targeted indoor training over the winter. It is quite useful having a relatively stable test route to track myself on.
KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should either be in here or the chuffed thread...

58:29 as it was going dark last night. First go at it since April, and a minute quicker, and a new PB, a couple of seconds quicker than 2 years ago.
stenard

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good work.
I'd totally forgotten about this thread. I managed 59:04 at the end of June which was my first time under the hour mark, so was really happy with that.

On a road bike with clip ons...I really am getting the itch for a TT bike!

That effort was 220W AP, 236 NP, so VI of 1.07. Given the lumps in the Park, I was pretty happy with that effort.

Significant improvement from the 62:15 I managed last year, although I'd be nowhere near that at the moment as I've done no biking at all other than my commutes since my last race!
chickenboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one stenard. I always like this challenge. It's as much a challenge in getting a clear run as it is to do 3 fast laps.
I've been on my TT bike all summer in the park so thought I'd try the 3 laps on my Brompton. Managed 1:08 in the pishin rain which was good fun. I tried again the other week and got 1:10. I may have to ditch the rucksack, get some kojak tyres and see what I can muster over the winter

http://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/920024315
KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenboy wrote:
Nice one stenard. I always like this challenge. It's as much a challenge in getting a clear run as it is to do 3 fast laps.

Put some good lights on and go out after 5pm. As long as you pay attention to not hitting the deer who start wandering across the road, you get a good traffic free circuit.
chickenboy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingstonGraham wrote:
chickenboy wrote:

Put some good lights on and go out after 5pm. As long as you pay attention to not hitting the deer who start wandering across the road, you get a good traffic free circuit.

Good idea!! are there many cyclists that cycle around RP in the dark? I'd imagine its great without the cars.
jibberjim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KingstonGraham wrote:
Should either be in here or the chuffed thread...

58:29 as it was going dark last night. First go at it since April, and a minute quicker, and a new PB, a couple of seconds quicker than 2 years ago.

Good time!, probably a 55 in proper weather.

I'm not sure about riding around in full dark at full speed, the deer are very prepared to go on the road once dark, I've met quite a lot of folk who've hit a deer.
Wheezy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take heed.

http://road.cc/content/news/169880-huge-fine-cyclist-caught-speeding-richmond-park
martinc

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

martinc wrote:
First effort for me in about 4 years I think. Too windy and no aero bars... can do better.

Name-------------------Dir-------Weight-----time-----Month-----ToR (Watts etc.)
SteveI KW..................Anti.........70kg......49:45....Feb......Road bike skinsuit 294AP/307NP
Bluntandy .......Anti........80kg........52.00.6 min......TT Bike and skinsuit
Sebmondo a3crg.........Anti ..........67kg......53.25....Feb......TT.. 271AP/275NP.......TT bike PX 50mm no aero gear zone 3
Jibberjim KW............. anti.........77kg.......55:09....Jan.....Rd...293AP/320NP.........Club run hero...R3 no aero
BB..........................anti.........74kg.......56.19......Apr......TT bike (avg HR 146)
Nashyp........................anti........62kg.......56.42.....07/05.....Road/aero wheels/no stats except time
FD...........................anti.........67kg.......57.11.....29/4......TT bike/training wheels (250w ap)
bigdave1963.............Anti.........89kg.......57:30.....Mar29......Road set up
Tin man..........1xClock 2xAnti.............68kg........58:15.....Apr.....Ex IMer (06-09).....Rd bike tri bars + aero wheels
Stengun...................anti-clock......85kg.....58:58.....May10th.....Full TT Lanza setup except a flappy t-shirt
Marko........................Anti.........80kg.......59:00....Feb.....2nd season tri, road bike on drops Avg HR 168
Johnnyf......................Anti.........60kg.......59.28....May......road bike
dalkiin........................Anti.........94kg.......59:31....Apr.....road bike, no stats
Whisk........................Anti.........93kg........60:21....Mar......Rd.....Part-time IMer......no aero, night ride
KingstonGraham...........Anti.........74kg........62:19....Apr......Rd.....Half IM so far......no aero
Martinc...no aero bars...Anti.........90kg........62.48.....May.....Road bike
maryka
AC..................Anti!.........74kg?........63:25.....apr.......Rd......classic duo's
KW................Anti.........63kg.......63:38....Feb.....Rd...186AP/203NP..........up the duff
Miller....................Clock........76kg......63.42....Apr.....Rd......
Tonkington.................Anti.......66kg.......64:16....Apr.....TT bike no bling
Chunkytfg..................Anti.........125kg......67.03....Mar.....Rd...
Miss_Adventure......Clock.......61kg.......69:13....Mar.....Rd bike
Fil_Archtri..........Anti.......70kg........70:24.....Apr.......Rd bike....New to sport
Groovy242003 ....2xclock1xAnti (just to be different!) ...85kg...75:00 ...Mar...Road Bike (10 mins better than last year!)

_________________[/quote]

Bringing this back for old timers' sake.
Did an anti-c 3lap today in lovely sunshine. 1.05, so lost a couple of minutes since 2011! Not helped by deer and traffic lights at Ham Cross.
Did a clockwise 3lap in 1.05 in 2013.
Maybe I'm overtraining. Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 36, 37, 38
Page 38 of 38

Jump to: