Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The TriTalk Book Club
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bainsy

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:53 pm    Post subject: The TriTalk Book Club Reply with quote

Ok so periodically someone posts - whats your favorite book - or - recommend me a book...........There are always some interesting ideas and its obvious to me that the triathlon demographic is quite likely to read a lot and be a little 'literary' so how about somewhere we can all discusss and refer back to books we like ???

I give you the TT Book Club

Here's the idea:-

Post a review on something you have just read......good or bad, highbrow or lowbrow

Reminisce (sp?) about an old favorite

Try to persuade others to read your favorites

List your top 10 books

etc etc you get the point -

I'll start you off with the book i have just read:-

Dan and Mara by Doris Lessing

Recommended to me by the wife of a friend. A coming of age story in Africa somewhere thousands of years in the future when life has reverted to a struggle for survival and most of todays technology has been long forgotten. Part journey, part fairytale, part travel, part salutory reminder of how we are destroying our planet and part adventure..........

Intriguing but in the end just got too much towards the end - very strong idea but tried to be too many things and didnt quite settle.........a page turner with some interesting thought provoking strands but in the end just not quite there for me.

Obviously others disagree as it own the 2007 Nobel priize for Literature !

Off to chose the next one to read now...........

2006 IM CH, 2007 IMF, 2008 Norseman, 2009 100 hour Raid Pyrenees, 2010 Marazion, 2011 AXtri, 2012 - White Horse Challenge, Tonbridge, 2nd baby, 2013 - Aberdeen to Southampton bike

2014 ?
Pompey

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

will finish the ascent of rum doodle and post again! its so funny! excellent thread!
mudman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pompey wrote:
will finish the ascent of rum doodle and post again! its so funny! excellent thread!

I'd forgotten about that book. It's a brilliant read, especially if you've been well fed on a diet of climbing biographies & memoirs.
Nath

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lets talk Steig Larsson.

I've read the whole trilogy now. I picked up Dragon Tattoo in the summer and read it on hols. Amazing, vicious, nasty, clever. It's not a book you could really recommend to your mum, but stands alone as an excellent novel.
Played with fire... the Empire strikes back of the trilogy. A very different style from the first one, being more of a chase/quest than a detective story (which the first one is, really). Learning what you do about Salander's family, back story puts the character into context, it's still very difficult to actually empathise with her, but you start to sympathise.

Kicked the hornet's nest... A different style again, now we're into the Grisham -esque legal thriller with a bit of a spy/secret service angle. It feels like it's moving towards a foregone conclusion (you never feel that the baddies will actually win, given the ever growing and growing weight of evidence) but there are some good, but not great twists along the way.

It is a shame there were no more, it does feel like Blomquist is the person Larsson wanted to be (especially the podgy-but-irresistibly attractive to stunning women parts), salander is a bit too-talented-to -be -true (not being a hacker and knowing how feasible all this is) but all in all, a very good insight into how nasty things get covered up, and the impact on the people involved - both the originators and the victims. Excellent reading.
ljs4

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thread, especially as I've just re-discovered my book worm mojo!

I've just finished the road by cormac mccarthy. (before that the first Steig Larsson, but that's already been covered.)

Anyway, I found it:

compelling and depressing at the same time.
beautifully written.
somehow made me feel that parental responsibility is both the greatest gift and biggest curse a person could have.
and it made me cry, which a book hasn't done for a long time.

next up : the lovely bones
zl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nath wrote:
Lets talk Steig Larsson.

I've read the whole trilogy now. I picked up Dragon Tattoo in the summer and read it on hols. Amazing, vicious, nasty, clever. It's not a book you could really recommend to your mum, but stands alone as an excellent novel.
Oops I did but actually she's already read DT, I just happened to give her the titles of the others. Definitely not for those of a nervous disposition

Nath wrote:

Played with fire... the Empire strikes back of the trilogy. A very different style from the first one, being more of a chase/quest than a detective story (which the first one is, really). Learning what you do about Salander's family, back story puts the character into context, it's still very difficult to actually empathise with her, but you start to sympathise.

May be being female I can empathise more with Salander possibly also since I recognise some of the traits (the computer related ones I should add). But both main characters are a bit larger than life

Though some thing my mother pointed out and seemed to be particularly so in this book that reads like an IKEA catalogue at points. Just sometime the details seem to be a bit robotic (bit like Peter Robertson at points) and possibly done for the editor rather than the story

Nath wrote:
Kicked the hornet's nest... A different style again, now we're into the Grisham -esque legal thriller with a bit of a spy/secret service angle. It feels like it's moving towards a foregone conclusion (you never feel that the baddies will actually win, given the ever growing and growing weight of evidence) but there are some good, but not great twists along the way.

Not read this one yet, suspect it will be in my holiday reading at some point this year

Nath wrote:
It is a shame there were no more, it does feel like Blomquist is the person Larsson wanted to be (especially the podgy-but-irresistibly attractive to stunning women parts), salander is a bit too-talented-to -be -true (not being a hacker and knowing how feasible all this is) but all in all, a very good insight into how nasty things get covered up, and the impact on the people involved - both the originators and the victims. Excellent reading.
There's a certain about of speculation about whether Larsson's wrote them or his girlfriend though not sure it makes much sense. Especially if you look at the female characters like Erika Berger and others are all a bit one dimensional and willing to jump into bed with Blomquist at a moments notice - those weren't written by a woman.

Odd since know bit of Stockholm and could envisage some of the bits of it
bluntandy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 02, 2010 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just finished Hoot by carl hiaasen.
I've read all of his other books and they pretty much fall into the same theme. new guy in town, discovers weird guy living in the florida everglades on an Eco mission. This one's for kids but follows the plan. Still has some funny moments, full of mischief and you still sympathize with the main characters.
Bainsy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljs4 wrote:

I've just finished the road by cormac mccarthy. (before that the first Steig Larsson, but that's already been covered.)

Anyway, I found it:

beautifully written.
somehow made me feel that parental responsibility is both the greatest gift and biggest curse a person could have.

Definitely on my 'to read' list as is his 'Border trilogy'........not thinking they are going to be 'feel good' books but am expecting them to be thought provoking !!

2006 IM CH, 2007 IMF, 2008 Norseman, 2009 100 hour Raid Pyrenees, 2010 Marazion, 2011 AXtri, 2012 - White Horse Challenge, Tonbridge, 2nd baby, 2013 - Aberdeen to Southampton bike

2014 ?
Fuzzy Dunlop

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am reading some great books at the moment by CJ Sansom. The first is called Dissolution. They are crime/mystery books with Our Hero being a being a hunchback lasted working for Thomas Cromwell at the time Henry VIII was on the throne. I was sceptical when my wife suggested them but they are very enjoyable - and I'm even learning Lots of interesting stuff!

The Dragon Tatoo books are the next in my stack.
Pompey

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ljs4 wrote:

Anyway, I found it:

beautifully written.

lovely bones is heartbreaking but v good. interested re the comments re the steig larsson books, as i keep picking them up and putting them down in the shop but wasnt sure...guess ive got the recommendations i needed!
Bainsy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pompey wrote:
ljs4 wrote:

Anyway, I found it:

beautifully written.

lovely bones is heartbreaking but v good. interested re the comments re the steig larsson books, as i keep picking them up and putting them down in the shop but wasnt sure...guess ive got the recommendations i needed!

Larsson books are a rollercoaster, not exactly Dickens but you will certainly enjoy them thats for sure !

2014 ?
finbar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard mixed things about Stieg Larsson, including that 'The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo' has so many typos it's almost unreadable (well, if that sort of thing bothers you at least)?
Pompey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2010 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right. finished 'the ascent of rum doodle', and its truly brilliant. its a spoof about a group of men who take themselves of to 'Yogistan' to climb the worlds highest mountain, rum doodle (40 000 1/2 ft), but end of falling in crevasses, being poisoned by their cook, getting lost, then climbing the wrong mountain. if you love mountains or travel this is a must read. its a bit of a classic, written in the 50's by a man who supposedly hadnt actually done that much mountaineering, but a lot of peole thought for a long time that he was actually someone famous writing under a pseudonym as he seems to have all the 'in' jokes. what i love about this is the way the characters are such typical english gentlemen as they get into all the various calamities, and fact that its a mountaineering book that isnt meant to be taken seriously! ive read so many that are about tragedy, but this is a light-hearted romp up an improbable mountain with someone whose navigation and organisation skills are as bad as mine!
AndyS..

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pets with Tourette's.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pets-Tourettes-Mark-Leigh/dp/1840246103

Flicked through it in Smiths today while hiding from an ex-colleague I didn't want to speak to. Had to put it back to stop laughing and breathe again.
Cobbie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished Freakonomics, a book I had been meaning to read for some time.
Now it might strike you that a book on economics wouldn't be very interesting (me too, hence why I never got round to it) - on the contrary, it's a very thought provoking tome, whether you agree with some of the ideas within it or not

There are two central ideas - that people respond to incentives and that where information assymetry exists, people will exploit it. Nothing new or radical in that. It is the means of demonstrating the point that is fascinating - teachers administering tests and sumo wrestlers provide evidence for incentives, whilst estate agents and the Ku Klux Klan do the same for information assymetry.
These strange examples pave the way for a review of the main author's research into how economics can be used to inform us on social issues, predominantly crime and inequality.

I found it fascinating - Amazon reviews have a wide range of responses which is what I would expect - the central ideas are pretty provocative at times and the conclusion about why crime started to fall in the USA is unexpected to say the least Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 1 of 23

Jump to: