Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The TriTalk Book Club
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisW

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
I am reading some great books at the moment by CJ Sansom. The first is called Dissolution. They are crime/mystery books with Our Hero being a being a hunchback lasted working for Thomas Cromwell at the time Henry VIII was on the throne. I was sceptical when my wife suggested them but they are very enjoyable - and I'm even learning Lots of interesting stuff!...

He also wrote an excellent book called Winter in Madrid. I'd recommend that one as well.

I've just finished a book called Ghost Wars. It's written by an American journalist called Steve Coll. The book won a Pulitzer Prize. It was tough going at 600 pages but it was excellent/. It's all about the decade or so leading up to 9/11 - it charts how the CIA and US Govt dealt with the Soviet invasion of Afghanistan, then about the rise of the Taliban and bin Laden.
Some of the stuff in there - particularly the roles played by both Pakistan and Saudi - is a real eye-opener. I'd recommend it to anyone with an interest in knowing more about that sort of stuff.

He's soft and he's fat and he's wearing my clothes and he's getting too old and he was born on my birthday and I'm afraid if I stop running, he'll catch up with me
Bainsy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World without End by Ken Follett

Follow up to 'Pillars of the Earth' set in same town 100 years or so later but no real connection apart from that. Compelling, trashy, historical novel but at 1300 pages its a bit of doorstopper ! Well written though and certainly an insight into how life was in the mid 1300s. Deals with battles with the French (Crecy), Plague and day to day struggle to survive.....

Its no master piece but it was certainlly difficult to put down, so cant fault it !!

2006 IM CH, 2007 IMF, 2008 Norseman, 2009 100 hour Raid Pyrenees, 2010 Marazion, 2011 AXtri, 2012 - White Horse Challenge, Tonbridge, 2nd baby, 2013 - Aberdeen to Southampton bike, 2014 Gauntlet

2015 ?
Miz Mojo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just finished 'Wolf Hall' by Hilary Mantel...phew!

Bit of a trudge (about 650 pages), it covers Thomas Cromwell's life, focusing mainly on the years from 1527 to 1535 during which he played a big part in England's separation from Roman Catholicism to enable the marriage of Henry VIII to Anne Boleyn.

Having had little interest in history previously, I found this book fascinating in it's detail and how it brings the characters and places to life. I now feel like an expert on this part of Tudor history and would happily read more tomes like this if Hilary writes them!
Nath

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
I am reading some great books at the moment by CJ Sansom. The first is called Dissolution. They are crime/mystery books with Our Hero being a being a hunchback lasted working for Thomas Cromwell at the time Henry VIII was on the throne. I was sceptical when my wife suggested them but they are very enjoyable - and I'm even learning Lots of interesting stuff!

The Dragon Tatoo books are the next in my stack.

I love my Shardlake. I've been waiting about 2 years since the last one, Revelation was published. The next one is out in August I think. Shardlake is such a great character, intelligent, super-trustworthy, loyal. He could do with a bit of a dark side - but given the maelstrom about him, he does well just to be good! (BTW Maelstrom, that's a good name for a Shardlake novel).

Get stuck into them, the whole series. Dissolution, Dark Fire (about someone who has some oil and is burning things). Sovereign (about the progress to York) and Revelation (about a serial killer). Sovereign was the first one I read, and was hooked straight away, the feel for the environment is brilliant, the smells, the suspense, the threats!
lambertsimnel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nath wrote:
Fuzzy Dunlop wrote:
I am reading some great books at the moment by CJ Sansom. The first is called Dissolution. They are crime/mystery books with Our Hero being a being a hunchback lasted working for Thomas Cromwell at the time Henry VIII was on the throne. I was sceptical when my wife suggested them but they are very enjoyable - and I'm even learning Lots of interesting stuff!

The Dragon Tatoo books are the next in my stack.

I love my Shardlake. I've been waiting about 2 years since the last one, Revelation was published. The next one is out in August I think. Shardlake is such a great character, intelligent, super-trustworthy, loyal. He could do with a bit of a dark side - but given the maelstrom about him, he does well just to be good! (BTW Maelstrom, that's a good name for a Shardlake novel).

+1 The only one I wasn't that keen on was Revelation - a bit like Manhunter meets The Tudors.

Get stuck into them, the whole series. Dissolution, Dark Fire (about someone who has some oil and is burning things). Sovereign (about the progress to York) and Revelation (about a serial killer). Sovereign was the first one I read, and was hooked straight away, the feel for the environment is brilliant, the smells, the suspense, the threats!

First you need endurance
First you've got to last...
boondog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Hacienda - How not to run a club by Peter Hook

quite simply superb, kept laughing out loud at the f-ups they made. Stopped watching TV for the 3 evenings I was reading it, it took me back to the early 90's.
Bottom line, don't open a cluib with your mates !
Miz Mojo

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boondog wrote:
The Hacienda - How not to run a club by Peter Hook

quite simply superb, kept laughing out loud at the f-ups they made. Stopped watching TV for the 3 evenings I was reading it, it took me back to the early 90's.
Bottom line, don't open a cluib with your mates !

Have you seen 24 hour Party People?

I actually worked behind the bar of the Hacienda for a few months following the opening in May 1982, and was a regular attender until I left MCR in 1983, and I can tell you - it's all true!!
boondog

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tricicle wrote:

Have you seen 24 hour Party People?

I actually worked behind the bar of the Hacienda for a few months following the opening in May 1982, and was a regular attender until I left MCR in 1983, and I can tell you - it's all true!!

coooool, claim to fame ! I have seen the film, reminds me to watch it again.
sounds like you got out before it got too dangerous.
annamal

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just read the best book I think I'ver EVER read - started it Sunday afternoon and finished it last night...the fact I've been off training for 8 days with a chest infection has no doubt allowed me to read it so quickly though!! I've been at work the last two days but instead of training have been reading - a real luxury.

In the Heart of the Canyon by Elisabeth Hyde - brilliant. Unlike any others I've read as typically I go for thrillers but this was through the eyes of 13 people on a white water rafting trip in the Grand Canyon.

Now I need to to find the next one to absorb me..
Pompey

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

annamal wrote:
I have just read the best book I think I'ver EVER read - started it Sunday afternoon and finished it last night...the fact I've been off training for 8 days with a chest infection has no doubt allowed me to read it so quickly though!! I've been at work the last two days but instead of training have been reading - a real luxury.

In the Heart of the Canyon by Elisabeth Hyde - brilliant. Unlike any others I've read as typically I go for thrillers but this was through the eyes of 13 people on a white water rafting trip in the Grand Canyon.

Now I need to to find the next one to absorb me..

'blazing paddles' by brian wilson was recommended to me the other day, its about a kayaking trip round the scottish coast. get well soon!
annamal

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah thanks Pompey I'll have a look for that. Have read more books this year than the previous 2 put together....
Pompey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

we are all made of glue - marina lewycka. another great book by this lady - funny, sad, well-written. loved it and read it in two days. only annoying thing is that i paid bout 13 quid for it and it was on offer with some newspaper at the weekend for £2.50. grates on me that does....
_matt_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend me a good biography?

I've just finished Lance's 'It's Not About the Bike' and found it thoroughly inspiring. Is his second book, 'Every Second Counts' worth a read too? I'm not a massive cycling fan by any means and enjoyed it more for the story than the topic.
littleredhead

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nath wrote:
Lets talk Steig Larsson.

I've read the whole trilogy now. I picked up Dragon Tattoo in the summer and read it on hols. Amazing, vicious, nasty, clever. It's not a book you could really recommend to your mum, but stands alone as an excellent novel.
Played with fire... the Empire strikes back of the trilogy. A very different style from the first one, being more of a chase/quest than a detective story (which the first one is, really). Learning what you do about Salander's family, back story puts the character into context, it's still very difficult to actually empathise with her, but you start to sympathise.

Kicked the hornet's nest... A different style again, now we're into the Grisham -esque legal thriller with a bit of a spy/secret service angle. It feels like it's moving towards a foregone conclusion (you never feel that the baddies will actually win, given the ever growing and growing weight of evidence) but there are some good, but not great twists along the way.

It is a shame there were no more, it does feel like Blomquist is the person Larsson wanted to be (especially the podgy-but-irresistibly attractive to stunning women parts), salander is a bit too-talented-to -be -true (not being a hacker and knowing how feasible all this is) but all in all, a very good insight into how nasty things get covered up, and the impact on the people involved - both the originators and the victims. Excellent reading.

I'm part way through the second in this trilogy and completely and utterly addicted. I found the first one very hard to get into in the first place because there was a lot of what I thought was un-necessary chat about swedish economics/businesses and I very nearly gave up after a few attempts. Perserverance paid off though.

I heard at the weekend that they're making another film of the books - the rumour is Daniel Craig is play Blomkvist. Initial thoughts are noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo - soooo not the right actor to play him at all..!
Badger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

littleredhead wrote:
I heard at the weekend that they're making another film of the books - the rumour is Daniel Craig is play Blomkvist. Initial thoughts are noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo - soooo not the right actor to play him at all..!

That sounds like the John Hannah as Rebus mistake. Thankfully they later put it right with Ken Stott.

I'd prefer an unknown, frumpier actor that you grow into the story with.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 2 of 23

Jump to: