Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Stroke recovery
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Stroke recovery Reply with quote

I'm interested to know how many people here adopt a front crawl stroke with effort going into the pull+push phase before relaxing the arm for the recovery phase?

I still have a slightly tense arm during recovery and sure I waste a bit of energy over the longer distances from this.
AndyS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean the catch/pull/follow through bit? Swim coach told me to keep the elbow high in the water, swim with the fore arm as well as the hand and push the follow through as hard as poss. But also to draw the letter 'S' with the stroke to avoid pushing low pressure water you've already pushed, making the stroke more efficient.

I'm not bad with recovery, I was told at a very early stage to swim with a 'chicken wing' during recover and bring the hand to the arm pit. I've not been corrected on it so I guess it's alright.

I still haven't worked out the two beat kick yet, seems too slow to me.
Daz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just mean the recovery. You're told to totally relax the arm (elbows high) and flick forward with the brew technique a few inches above the water. But during my swim session today, and paying a lot of attention to how my arm flet during recovery.....it was still quite tense.
Delboy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darryl, the best drill to improve the recovery part of your stroke is to do loads and loads of finger trail i.e elbow comes out of water first , keeping the whole of your arm relaxed and just dragging your fingers through the surface of the water until entry. For the start of the pull part you want to turn your hand towards you straight away, this means that you will catch as much water as possible and propel you through the water faster with little effort. Another point to add is thatif you do not stay relaxed througout the whole strioke you will tire a lot quicker. As I am a sprint freestyler (24.00 for 50M) it is important to stay relaxed. The best analogy I have heard about staying in relaxed in the water is:

'Sprinting 50m is like taking a dump. If you don't relax it ain't gonna happen!'

It took a lot of practice, but it is well worth it as a few corrections in your stroke make you a lot more efficent in the water
Daz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers. I must admit I do find I glide a lot better. The finger -trailing drill is one I forgot about doing so will give it a go.
AndyS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We did a catch-up drill a couple of weeks ago and although I didn't really get what they were on about I played along with it. I found that by leaving my hand out in front as much as possible I glided much further. I've tried to incorporate that into my regular stroke and there's only a very breif moment as I start the pull and my other hand enteres the water that there isn't a hand out in front.

Last night we did a load of 50's with 30 seconds recover and I set off on the half-past sweep of the second hand each time. I figure that means I'm swimming 30 second 50's. Quite pleased with that. Very Happy
Daz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh catch-up drills are good. I always try and do 100 every sesh of those. also one-armed drills and a few hundred on the pull buoy.
AndyS

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't do that one armed stuff, totally threw me off balance but I did 1600m just pulling last Sunday! Can't manage much more than 250m just kicking though. Embarassed
Daz

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I cant even do +15m kicking. I go nowhere! I obv dont have th etechnique right despite kicking from the hip/knees straight, toes out and body as streamlined and high in water as possible.
Tumble turns is something else trying to work on. I'm ok at beginning of training session when I have strong lungs, but as session goes on I can't cope.
Sue

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soooo pleased when i finally got the nerve to open this thread, see coming from a medical background "stroke recovery" initially meant something completely different, thought something awful had happened Embarassed
------feel all silly now --but relieved Rolling Eyes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2004 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, I never thought of that Rolling Eyes
Gandalf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blimey, I knew I would have a lot to learn but this thread has left me totally baffled. They didn't mention any of this when I was getting my mum to sew my 25m badge on. Crying or Very sad On a slightly sensible note, I have seen a book on Amazon called "Total immersion" does anybody know if its wort getting? When I attempt front crawl it looks like something out of Jaws with all the thrasing around and getting nowhere.
AndyS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Total Immersion is brilliant and totally improved my swimming. I'd been swimming on my own for about 6 months before getting the book and my speed increaded dramatically after reading the first four chapters of TI (quite litereally from one day to the next). It's a much easier way to swim too, more elegant. All the info you need is in the first four chapters and the rest of the book explains how you can achieve the correct swim stroke so, if like me, your attention span is about three seconds, you'll still gain a lot from the book.

Definately get it. They do a DVD too and run swim camps if you want to be taught by a coach. I have no info on either though!
WildWill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ihave been on the TI swim weekend - they are great (i went from 20strokes per length staed to now 11)

And the DVD explains much easyer than a book
AndyS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

11, blimey! I thought I was going well with 17. Shocked
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: