Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Zone3 wetsuit sizing and questions...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
gibson00

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:31 pm    Post subject: Zone3 wetsuit sizing and questions... Reply with quote

Hi all, thinking of trying a Zone3 wetsuit. Coming from a Desoto with very little shoulder restriction, so hoping to find the same freedom...

1. I am kind of between sizes on their chart, between a ML and L. I am 5'10, 180, somewhat broad shoulders for a triathlete... Should I go smaller or bigger?? I'm a MOP swimmer, IM swim time of about 1:14.

2. IF the price difference isn't a concern, is the Vanquish always a better choice over the Aspire, or is the Aspire actually a better choice for an MOP leg sinker?

Thanks!!!
FatPom

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Zone3 wetsuit sizing and questions... Reply with quote

gibson00 wrote:
Hi all, thinking of trying a Zone3 wetsuit. Coming from a Desoto with very little shoulder restriction, so hoping to find the same freedom...

1. I am kind of between sizes on their chart, between a ML and L. I am 5'10, 180, somewhat broad shoulders for a triathlete... Should I go smaller or bigger?? I'm a MOP swimmer, IM swim time of about 1:14.

2. IF the price difference isn't a concern, is the Vanquish always a better choice over the Aspire, or is the Aspire actually a better choice for an MOP leg sinker?

Thanks!!!

What's wrong with another DeSoto, availability?
Jgav

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're not dissimilar to size to me, I'm 5'10" and 78kg (so a bit lighter) but pretty broad for my size. I would recommend not going for the large. I sized up in a M or SM and went for the smaller size. I reckon a M would have been better as it's a bit tight around the knees. Based on your size I would have thought a M would work.
PhilleusPhogg

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the Vanquish and Aspire question, I tried both out at Shepperton by doing a 1500m test loop on each. For whatever reason I actually felt better in the Aspire (and went quicker) so it was a no-brainer for me. I'm also a MOP swimmer.

So, if you can, try them out, but definitely don't go for the Vanquish just because it's more expensive. The best wet-suit is the one you swim best in Smile
Doca

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PhilleusPhogg wrote:
On the Vanquish and Aspire question, I tried both out at Shepperton by doing a 1500m test loop on each. For whatever reason I actually felt better in the Aspire (and went quicker) so it was a no-brainer for me. I'm also a MOP swimmer.

So, if you can, try them out, but definitely don't go for the Vanquish just because it's more expensive. The best wet-suit is the one you swim best in Smile

I've had a similar experience, my 4 year old Aqua Sphere racer is getting a bit tired so after reading the reviews I bought the Zone3 Vanquish. Well, I'm faster in the Racer which is about twice as much material as the Vanquish.
TriSam

PostPosted: Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Zone3 wetsuits, I've found that weight is the most important measurement to get right for choosing your wetsuit size.

I would also suggest that the size you found more comfortable would depend on your swimming experience. If you're newish to swimming in a triathlon specific wetsuit, I would recommend the larger of the two suits so it feels less restrictive.
Muriel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2017 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi gibson00 - We're pretty similar. I'm 5'11 and hover around the 180 mark. I've tried so many suits over the years and I'll be honest never had a blooming clue what was right or wrong until this year. I've had these suits in this order..

2XU (approx. 5 years ago) the 100 squid jobby.
Speedo Elite thingy off a pal (4years ago)
Zone 3 Aspire (thought it worked a treat)
Tried a HUUB as I wasn't getting any faster in OW and I was in a pool.
Bought another zone 3 aspire because I thought that was the best model.

Then came the game changer. Having some swim lessons with a decent coach they pretty much said "I bet you're #@?# in open water". Which I am. I said I've always struggled with what feels like restriction in a suit but I've always put it down to that's what it feels like. They said to try the minimal suits up top. Such as Orca, Blueseventy and Zone 3. I tried the Vanquish purely because it was on sale and I've never felt more comfortable in open water.

That being said, any gains I make in the drink are taken away by trying to get the blooming thing off. Surprised

I'm sure with the Vanquish you get the same neoprene from the legs up to around the nipple area and then it becomes silly thin.

It's taken me around 5 years of tri to work this nonsense out. Muppet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Gear All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: