Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
What's the best way to measure body fat percentage??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
leigh195

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:22 pm    Post subject: What's the best way to measure body fat percentage?? Reply with quote

I generally use those funky machines in boots that tell me I'm too fat because some idiot come up with the BMI side of things Confused

At 6'1 and being 14stone when last weighed i was coming in at 24% bodyfat which seems to be a little too much. So what I'm trying to do is lose weight in accordance with my bodyfat percentage and get it down to 15%ish.

Are there tried and tested ways or shall i just put my 70p in to be told I'm 'unfit'

Leigh
mwep

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, you need to find a gym that can measure your bodyfat using a machine like Bodystat or Maltron. the problem with the sort of bf readers that you stand on or hold in your hand is that electricity will always take the shortest route and you only get a reading of one half of your body.
15% can of course be done but get ready for some VERY hard work and a VERY good diet
andygates

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use skinfold measurements and a Formula (oh noes, science!).

This is a handy site with a 4-site skinfold calculator: http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/skinfold4Site.php

You'd need a skinfold caliper to do the measuring. They're readily available on fleabay: cheap ones are less than a tenner, spendy ones are more.
2010: Burnham 1:26:11; Bristol Harbourside
Free Garmin UK Maps: www.ravenfamily.org/andyg/maps
triathlonwho?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mwep wrote:
Hi there, you need to find a gym that can measure your bodyfat using a machine like Bodystat or Maltron. the problem with the sort of bf readers that you stand on or hold in your hand is that electricity will always take the shortest route and you only get a reading of one half of your body.
15% can of course be done but get ready for some VERY hard work and a VERY good diet

I wouldn't say 15% requires VERY hard work, more like NOT eating CR@P.

Those analysis machines, I want to call them electrolysis but Im certain thats the wrong word, are absolute garbage. Ignore them. Skin fold callipers are the only way to do it properly. Unless you know a Uni with a 'bod pod' or can get you hydrostatically weighed.
TransitionTed

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

andygates wrote:
You can use skinfold measurements and a Formula (oh noes, science!).

This is a handy site with a 4-site skinfold calculator: http://www.dietandfitnesstoday.com/skinfold4Site.php

You'd need a skinfold caliper to do the measuring. They're readily available on fleabay: cheap ones are less than a tenner, spendy ones are more.

problem with skinfold measuring is that

a. its quite a skill actually. theres an art to 'pinch and shake'
b. all instructors measure it slightly differently, even though the fold sites are well documented

so if your going down the skinfold route make sure you get someone with a bit of experience in the skill to do it.

salt may be required
Smile
DRB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Support most of the stuff written above - to give you an idea of how difficult it is to measure body fat (without an MRI anyway) look at this site that gives a variety of ways to measure body fat:

http://www.linear-software.com/online.html

You will find the various methods vary considerably and on top of that you need a certain amount of experience to take skin folds accurately. As an example try grabbing some fat in the suprailiac region (your side just above the bony bit of your hip) try various positions anterior and posterior to your initial position and you will probably find some significant differences.

Saying that, as long as you get the same person to measure you each time you can get a good indication of of whether you are losing fat in a consistent and controlled manor.

Remember however if you are a long distance athlete a bit of fat "reserve" can make a lot of difference if you get your nutrition wrong Wink
2 scheds

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone know BMI is the way to go.

Wink
BEEF

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The key thing with skinfold measurements is continuity.....

Taking them yourself isn't a great way of doing it as any rotation in the body will naturally have an effect on skin tension, thus limiting a true reading.

Get in touch with a good trainer, or a university where students on Sports Science courses are usually taught how to correctly perform 4 point or 7 point skinfold testing.

IMHO

STARTING WEIGHT: 19st9lb
CURRENT WEIGHT:17st13lb
grumpyoldgit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the problems with measuring body fat using an electrical resistance machine of some sort is that, apart from other shortcomings, they appear to measure fat at the point of the body where it is greatest then applying that measurement to the whole body. I have an Omron weight/body composition machine and when I checked my body fat 3 months or so ago it showed just over 31%! Now I'm no lightweight but 31%....! Shortly after that I did a VO2 max test with my coach who also did a calliper measurement for body fat (he's experienced in this and knows what he is doing). The readings from different parts of the body varied but the overall result was 21% (cue, sighs of relief!). Since then I've used the Omron purely as a guide to show whether body composition is changing. So far it shows fat down by 2% so it will be interesting to see if another calliper test (in 2 weeks time) confirms this.
notmilk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my bathroom scales measure body fat - allegedly.
Now I know that it isn't the BEST way of doing it - but if i use the same scales each month, then relatively it will tell me if i've gone up or down won't it?
2011: San Dom 20 (2:30); Llanelli Marathon (3:15); Brecon Beacons Ultra 40 (8:30); New Forest Marathon
2012: Wye 50
nivagh

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 scheds wrote:
Everyone know BMI is the way to go.
Wink

Have a look at the statistics of 100m sprinters - their BMIs often show up as obese due to their muscle mass Laughing
DRB

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notmilk wrote:
my bathroom scales measure body fat - allegedly.
Now I know that it isn't the BEST way of doing it - but if i use the same scales each month, then relatively it will tell me if i've gone up or down won't it?

Yes as long as the conditions are exactly the same e.g. (here is a recommended protocol)

1. No eating or drinking within 4 hours of the test
2. No exercise within 12 hours of the test
3. Urinate within 30 minutes of the test
4. No alcohol consumption within 48 hours of the test
5. No diuretics within 7 days of the test
billy.fish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DEXA if you want to include visceral fat.

Trained person with body fat callipers, just find out if they are using certain sites (ISAK or ACSM) as this will change if they are doing it for a clinical or trained population. Or even lightweight population.

Try and get the same person to take the measures repeatedly!

Bio-impedance is just wrong. Very variable. BMI....well less said the better.

"That'll be ATP" says the barman
doubletriple

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DIY method......works every time.

Full length mirror...strip off, tense as many muscles as you can and jump up and down on the spot; wobbly bits are fat.
Repeat on a weekly basis until all wobbly bits gone.

Requires no kit, no tools, no inaccuracy either.

BF ....as is the tool BMI....are just numbers. If you are totally honest you do not require numbers.....the wobble test, and the (..oh sh@t, my clothes are tight..) test work well! Wink
Bonk

PostPosted: Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can pinch an inch, you should be eating special K. So the advert told me. Must be true!

If you can't see your feet, or your 'ding-a-ling' you need to slim down. Otherwise, enjoy the comfy ride. My ass is all hard and boney, makes sitting on hard chairs for any length of time a type of torture.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: