Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
ZeroPace Multi Heart Rate View

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ZeroPaceCraig

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:15 pm    Post subject: ZeroPace Multi Heart Rate View Reply with quote

Probably a question for people who train with a HRM, but I'm after some comments and suggestions about comparing HR profiles side by side.

I've heard from others that it would be useful to compare heart rate profiles for a certain protocol you perform, eg 5k treadmill run every week, to see any fitness improvements etc.

You can see a screen shot of what I have so far (its only a prototype at the moment) at http://www.zeropace.com/zp_multi_heart.jpg . The example shows the HR curve from 6 2000m swims over 2 weeks recorded using a Polar s720i.

Also, since the Training Log was reviewed last year on this site, we have a new version which can be accessed online and using a WAP phone aswell. See http://www.zeropace.com for more details.

Welcome any feedback, and if you want to know more just let me know.

Cheers

Craig
Daz

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZPC,

Be careful! Look what happened to Ivan Drago when he tried to fight Rocky Balboa in Russia after being connecting to all sorts of machines and computers in their gym/lab! You have to learn from these things.

Whats that!? Fiction you say? Don't be silly, it was on TV the other day.

I hope Lennox is prepared.
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that this would be something that the Polar software would allow you to do anyway?
ZeroPaceCraig

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would have thought so wouldn't you? The standard Polar software doesn't seem to do it, not sure if the more expensive coaching version does it though.

I think thats why a number of people have asked me for it!
Stealth Attack

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can certainly do it using the Polar S410! Just open the relevant HRM files one by one and they will all overlay each other. When you try to open successive files, you will be prompted with the question "Do you want to close previous exercise files?" Just say "No" and the original ones will remain on screen. A very handy tool.

Giantman

See my blog at : http://www.tri247.com/columns/rob_holloway.html
fast slow twitch

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question for Giantman or any other Polar users in the know.

I understand that the S410 can be downloaded using infra red. Something I do not have. I know Polar do an interface that I could plug in, but could I then use it with a 410 - or does it have to be one of their other models. Confused

Cant understand what they say on their site.
"Deep in my cells I know there's something bad at the end if I don't get through it. This keeps me honest. It keeps me scared. I am stronger because I know there is a consequence. I know I can't get away with slacking off. . Mark Twight, Ice Climber
ZeroPaceCraig

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the s410 had sonic link so you don't have to use the IR dongle. If your pc has speakers and a microphone it can talk to the s410 using a "spectrum 48K loading a game" type noise.
ZeroPaceCraig

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right giantman! Didn't work for me at first but then I found a little checkbox in the bottom left that says "Exercise Comparison". Now when I open each exercise it overlays the previous.
cheers
Stealth Attack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, the POlar S410 has a sonic link, not infra-red. But provided that you have the microphone sensitivity set at a pretty high level, the link works almost every time. Every now and again you do get a "test failed" message but increasing either the sensitivity or holding the watch closer to the mike nearly always does the trick. I've got my first race on Sunday - a nice XC over at Farley Heath near Shere, Surrey, so can't wait to see what my profile is like under race conditions. On Tuesday night, I abandoned my cautionary, no more 150bpm endurance runs, in favour of an eye balls out 6.2 mile run, including a particularly nasty hill. I finished in 35m 15s and recorded a max of 170 at the top of the hill. I reckon 175 might be on for Sunday!

Giantman

ZeroPaceCraig

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good 10k time Giantman, thats one thing I've got to work on this year, if I kept that pace my HR would have averaged 203! Good luck with the race on Sunday
ZeroPaceCraig

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giantman do you have any tips for improving my 10K time? I currently do about 45 but want to get it down to 40. What should I be concentrating on? I'm currently doing slow runs of an hour or so twice a week, next month I'll be adding some higher pace work eg 1k just above race pace, 1k slow, & repeat. Would shorter sprint work help aswell?
Stealth Attack

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Craig

I've covered this somewhere before on this site, but to save you the bother of sifting through the archives, I'll briefly re-cap my philosophy on faster running. Its quite simple really. Run faster, and your body will adapt, provided of course that there is no physical impediment to running at a faster pace. So, you can run 45 mins at the moment but want to get down to 40 mins. Try this. Work out your minute/mile pace for a 40 min 10km (6m 45s). Now, plan to run a 10km run or a little longer and after a good warm up, start the run at 6m 45s pace. Hold on to that pace until you begin sto struggle to hold it. My guess is that you might be able to hold on for a mile or two. When you can take no more, slow down/jog until you have recovered (if you have an HRM, wait for the heart rate to settle to something like 100/120 - but keep moving. After this recovery period, start running again at the 6m 45s pace and gain, slow down when it starts to hurt. Continue like this until the end of the run and warm down. Immediately afterwards, take a mental picture of the percentage time you were able to hold the faster pace. This will give you some indication of how far you are away from running the whole 6.2 miles at that pace. If the recovery periods are relatively short, then simply rpeating these "fartlek" runs each week will improve your ability to hold a faster pace. Over time, your recovery times will reduce and before long, you'll be able to hold that faster pace for the whole distance. But if the recovery times are long, you may need to consider separate training over long intervals, ie, 5 x one mile @ 6 min mile pace with almost complete recovery between each rep. If you can manage three runs a week, then this would end up with one long endurance run, one fartlek run and one long interval run. This is pretty intensive stuff so do allow an easy day ot two between each session - you don't have to cram them all into one week! Anyway, give it a go and let me know how you get on.

Giantman

ZeroPaceCraig

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Giantman, I kind of started something similar towards the end of last season, but didn't give myself enough time to see the benefits. I'll give it a go and let you know how I get on! Doing the Kingston Breakfast Run in March so I'll see if I beat last years time.
Robert

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks G-man - you anticipated my question, now that I'm getting back into running.

I find one of the programs on the Technogym treadmills quite useful - 2 units of fast run, 2 units recovery, repeating. I'm gradually notching up so that I can now run 12kph for 5Km without stopping or 14kph with rest periods.

I'll get there eventually!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: