Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Swim Smooth Stroke Correction Clinics: June 2010
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
merrowman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swim Smooth wrote:

Have you read through the program yet if not done the drills?

Cheers

Paul

Yep and will start to introduce some drills in the next few sessions.

JonW wrote:
Some feedback for you swimsmooth guys from a frustrated Arnie from Windsor!

Been practising on slowing it down and avoiding crossover and focusing on my catch and pull.

Did a 400m set today where I was just concentrating on technique and not pushing at all. The first length a young guy pushed off just as I was, and was going hard! This would have been a red rag to the old arnie, but I just thought to myself, he's probably only doing a few lengths (he did 2), so just stuck to my pace.

Did my 400 and checked my watch (I only had it only to measure strokes per length), and I was with about 5 secs of my previous pb! and not even out of breath!

Thanks again guys for pointing me in the right direction.

That sounds so familiar!! I get the same when someone starts in a lane nearby and looks to be pushing it. Old Arnie me would have tried to push it (not focussing on technique), whereas now I keep on with my technique and seem to go as fast but without running out of steam. And like you say generally they run out of puff within a few lengths... Interesting how as a "trying to quit Arnie" it's very easy to spot other Arnies.... Smile
JonW

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gym I go to has treadmills looking down onto the pool, so I do spend time trying to working out what type people are. Arnies must be the easiest to spot Smile
JamesBoH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally done my two CSS time trials today. Actually I did the 200 a while ago then forgot what time I'd got! So a CSS pace of 1:32 apparently. Time for some longer sessions. The longest on my swim types booklet is 3800m. Not sure I've ever done that far in a session except for the Swimathon.

8 week to the Vit at 2.5-3hrs of "Mr Smooth" swimming per week compared to my current 1 hour of Masters (i.e short reps) swimming should make some improvments, especially if I can sort my catch and not drop the elbow and wrist when reaching forwards.

Quite excited about this!
Swim Smooth

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesBoH wrote:
Quite excited about this!

Well done James - you're right, using the CSS calculator as a guide to your threshold pace really does help motivate you for where you're at right now. I think you'll find that 1:32 per 100m (for yourself) is quite easy on a shorter set of say 8-12 x 100m on 1:50 turn-around time, but for 15-20 reps it will push you along nicely and certainly for intervals of 200, 300, 400 and 600m it will feel quite taxing after a total of ~1000m have been swum.

Keep us posted!

Cheers

Paul
JamesBoH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a shortened version of my "Development Session 2" last night. Shortened it partly due to time - only had 1hour in the pool and partly coz 3.8km scared me a little!

Main hard swims were 600 @ CSS pace which turned out to be suprisingly easy on the first couple of hundred. I only did 450 and it was deffo getting harder but not as much as I expected. Used the wetronome and got it to bleep every length for this.

The other hard swim was 600 pull @ CSS pace. I was never really on top of the pace despite not having a band round my ankles. I found I couldn't increase the pace to catch up at all and although it felt like I was swimming as hard as possible I wasn't tired at the end, just slow. I hardly ever do pull so maybe that's why.

Anyone know where do you get something to use as a band round the ankles? Pleased to have done 2.8km in an hour without it feeling hard.

Open water tomorrow morning.
TA

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2011 11:05 am    Post subject: Any clinics coming to the UK? Reply with quote

Hi , any clinics coming to the UK please??
younggun

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TA!

Things here in SS land are extremely busy right now! We're working on several large projects, including one with the BTF, which are taking up lots of time. The good news is that in the long term we'll be able to offer you a lot of coaching in the UK but in the short term it does mean we're unlikely to run any clinics for the rest of this year. Sad

This is a small possibility that we may be able to run some at extremely short notice in the UK in September Ė Paul Newsome is swimming the English Channel (see www.channeldare.com) and depending exactly when he swims in that window we may be able to run some clinics immediately afterwards if we have a few days spare. Swimming the channel is very weather dependant so keep your fingers crossed for an Indian summer in September!

As always we'll announce clinics through our blog www.feelforthewater.com so if you're not subscribed already then please join the email list!

Iím sorry that we canít offer you anything more concrete than that at this stage but I wish you all the best with your swimming in the meantime.

Cheers!

Adam Young
Swim Smooth
AndyS..

PostPosted: Sat Aug 27, 2011 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

younggun wrote:
... Paul Newsome is swimming the English Channel (see www.channeldare.com)...

I thought I'd missed that. I got word from a customer of mine that Mark Bayliss had swim the Channel a couple of weeks ago, then Rachel Cadman had and I wondered if these were part of the group Paul was swimming with. Had to do some investigation but seems I've not missed it.

Congrats to Mark Bayliss though, good stuff.
drekkly

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2011 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the SW? Always forgotten Sad
younggun

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

drekkly wrote:
What about the SW? Always forgotten Sad
Hi Drekkly, we're always keen on coming to Bath or Bristol but it's v.hard to get in decent pools there.

We do get lots of people travel up from the south west to see us elsewhere. It's certainly not ideal but I think they recognise we're coming all the way from Australia and seem happy to drive for an hour or two for a fantastic day's coaching! Smile
drekkly

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I appreciate you guys are making the big trip over and thanks for the reply. Just wish it was an hour or two trip - but it's probably a four hour trip for me. Shame as I would love to have a session.
AndyS..

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck Paul (Swimsmooth), hope the weather holds for you and the crossing isn't too rough.

Thumbs Up
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: