Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
knee pain and knee supports

View previous topic :: View next topic  
P-Dog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: knee pain and knee supports Reply with quote

Hi all,

I have a recurring knee problem... When I run, it feels fine for the first mile or two and then starts to hurt. The pain feels the same as when the knee is jarred sideways. For example, like when receiving a hard tackle from the side in football, so that the knee is forced to bend sideways slightly. So my question is: will a knee support help? My thinking is that it won't, as it isn't muscular, but people keep telling me to get one, but I don't want to waste money.

Any advice will be appreciated.
BW

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My twopenneth...

Sounds like it could be ITB syndrome or 'ruuner's knee' - 'Google' it and see if the symptoms match yours.

If it is, you'll need to get a foam roller and use it regularly on the IT bands - it works - honest.

You may get some relief from a knee support but personally I'd try and get to the route of the problem.
P-Dog

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that. It sounds exactly like what I have. I think it is probably down to me not warming up enough. Also, I recently noticed that the trainers I have (Asics) are designed for people with high-arches, whereas I have flat feet. Could this also have an impact? Or is that over-analysing?
BEEF

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From experience knee supports do very little.......well maybe psychologically but if there is an actual issue with ligaments/tendons/cartilage etc it'll do bugger all.

Get it looked at by a good physio.......

STARTING WEIGHT: 19st9lb
CURRENT WEIGHT:17st13lb
BW

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foam roller = about 20 quid - you can use it for treating all sorts of injuries/conditions/general conditioning

One session with a 'decent physio' (if you can find one) = anything from 30 to 50 quid - may or may not give a correct diagnosis and will prolly want to sign you up for several more (expensive) treatment sessions

I've nothing against physio's but, personally I've seen many, many over the years and nowadays would always try a self-diagnosis/self-treatment plan before spending money I can't afford.

Again, just my experience and opinion...

BW
IronMike

PostPosted: Fri Sep 02, 2011 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have flat feet then you will be prone to knee issues anyway. The arch acts as a shock absorber to an extent, and also you will quite possible pronate more than most, which again can stress the knee. Going forward you might need to consider some sort of orthoses as just foam rolling the ITB might not cure you per se, just manage the symptoms. Bit of free advice from a physio student Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: