Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The sub-20 minute 5k run thread?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79  Next
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1171

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
I would love to go under 20min, currently at 21:30. A year ago I was struggling to get below 27mins, so made good progress, although 15kg weight loss has contributed.

I find that I cannot get past a certain time, suddenly I take 30second - 1min off that time. The reason is that I push myself really hard at the start, then slow down on the second and third mile, then suddenly I am able to maintain my pace on the second mile - If I can keep the pace on the second mile, I can maintain it for the third, it is always the second mile that kills me.

Currently I am pushing 4:10/km for the first mile, but then dropping to 4:30/km for mile 2 and 3.

I have tried running constantly at 4:15/km and 4:20/km, but I still get hit on mile 2

I can run at a constant pace and can pace myself at 4:35/km for a half marathon. It is a surprise (and disappointment) that my half marathon pace is so close to my 5k pace, i feel that my 5k pace should be quicker

I am trying to lose 6kg more, to get to my ideal weight - I am hoping that will be enough to take me sub 20mins

That must be the post with the most metric / imperial crossover I've ever read!

I do think of long runs in miles in the context of how far I want to cover (i.e. 10 miles, 15 miles, 20 miles etc), but all my splits are in km and as I'm running, everything is thought about in that context.

Do you actually have things lapping in miles on the watch, out of interest? I know it is possible to have pace displayed in metric yet have autolap set for every 1.61km, but I've never actually known anyone do it!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mattsurf




Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Posts: 154
Location: salisbury

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:

Do you actually have things lapping in miles on the watch, out of interest? I know it is possible to have pace displayed in metric yet have autolap set for every 1.61km, but I've never actually known anyone do it!


Yes that is me Smile The reason is that one lap of parkrun is exactly 1 mile, so my autolap is set a 1.61km.

As a result of this setup I know my pace in mins/mile and mins/km, however, I use min/km pretty much exclusively now and it probably makes much more sense to switch my autolap to 1km as well
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1171

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
stenard wrote:

Do you actually have things lapping in miles on the watch, out of interest? I know it is possible to have pace displayed in metric yet have autolap set for every 1.61km, but I've never actually known anyone do it!


Yes that is me Smile The reason is that one lap of parkrun is exactly 1 mile, so my autolap is set a 1.61km.

As a result of this setup I know my pace in mins/mile and mins/km, however, I use min/km pretty much exclusively now and it probably makes much more sense to switch my autolap to 1km as well

So is your parkrun quite a bit short then?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mattsurf




Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Posts: 154
Location: salisbury

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:


So is your parkrun quite a bit short then?


No, it has an extra leg at the end to the finish line
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14088
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
I would love to go under 20min, currently at 21:30. A year ago I was struggling to get below 27mins, so made good progress, although 15kg weight loss has contributed.

I find that I cannot get past a certain time, suddenly I take 30second - 1min off that time. The reason is that I push myself really hard at the start, then slow down on the second and third mile, then suddenly I am able to maintain my pace on the second mile - If I can keep the pace on the second mile, I can maintain it for the third, it is always the second mile that kills me.

Currently I am pushing 4:10/km for the first mile, but then dropping to 4:30/km for mile 2 and 3.

I have tried running constantly at 4:15/km and 4:20/km, but I still get hit on mile 2

I can run at a constant pace and can pace myself at 4:35/km for a half marathon. It is a surprise (and disappointment) that my half marathon pace is so close to my 5k pace, i feel that my 5k pace should be quicker

I am trying to lose 6kg more, to get to my ideal weight - I am hoping that will be enough to take me sub 20mins it!


What do you do for your warm up?
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mattsurf




Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Posts: 154
Location: salisbury

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live 1 mile away from my local parkrun, so warm up is a slow jog there while doing some dynamic stretches and drills. When I arrive I do a 400m run at 8m/mile pace, followed by some stretching
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14088
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2016 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
I live 1 mile away from my local parkrun, so warm up is a slow jog there while doing some dynamic stretches and drills. When I arrive I do a 400m run at 8m/mile pace, followed by some stretching


you could try getting your HR closer to your target pace during your warm up...

How often have you been racing every week?
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
Wheezy




Joined: 10 Oct 2007
Posts: 1510
Location: Sub 3 (elect)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
I would love to go under 20min, currently at 21:30. A year ago I was struggling to get below 27mins, so made good progress, although 15kg weight loss has contributed.

I find that I cannot get past a certain time, suddenly I take 30second - 1min off that time. The reason is that I push myself really hard at the start, then slow down on the second and third mile, then suddenly I am able to maintain my pace on the second mile - If I can keep the pace on the second mile, I can maintain it for the third, it is always the second mile that kills me.

Currently I am pushing 4:10/km for the first mile, but then dropping to 4:30/km for mile 2 and 3.

I have tried running constantly at 4:15/km and 4:20/km, but I still get hit on mile 2

I can run at a constant pace and can pace myself at 4:35/km for a half marathon. It is a surprise (and disappointment) that my half marathon pace is so close to my 5k pace, i feel that my 5k pace should be quicker

I am trying to lose 6kg more, to get to my ideal weight - I am hoping that will be enough to take me sub 20mins


Do you do any sort of speed work or all steady running?
_________________
If it was easy, everyone would do it.
My Blog
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
stenard




Joined: 04 Sep 2013
Posts: 1171

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2016 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
I live 1 mile away from my local parkrun, so warm up is a slow jog there while doing some dynamic stretches and drills. When I arrive I do a 400m run at 8m/mile pace, followed by some stretching

Stretching before exercise (if static) is bad for you. You actually weaken the tendons ability to transfer muscle power to the limbs
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
mattsurf




Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Posts: 154
Location: salisbury

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stenard wrote:
mattsurf wrote:
I live 1 mile away from my local parkrun, so warm up is a slow jog there while doing some dynamic stretches and drills. When I arrive I do a 400m run at 8m/mile pace, followed by some stretching

Stretching before exercise (if static) is bad for you. You actually weaken the tendons ability to transfer muscle power to the limbs


I have read this as well, however, I find that if I don't do some stretches, I am prone to injury.

I think that there is lots of conflicting information about stretching before exercise, so hard to know what is the right thing to do
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KingstonGraham




Joined: 21 Mar 2008
Posts: 7559

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are doing the parkrun every week, why not try mixing it up - try to do it increasing pace for each lap, so start at 4:30 then 4:20 then 4:10 rather than the other way around. Or deliberately drop the pace on lap 2 one week, and then pick it up again on lap 3. See what works for you to increase the endurance at the higher pace.

21:30 is not about the same pace as 4:35 per km for a half marathon. There's about 6 minutes difference over a HM. If you are training over longer distances and not doing any training at quicker than 5k pace, then that makes sense.
_________________
I don't need an attitude
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14088
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
stenard wrote:
mattsurf wrote:
I live 1 mile away from my local parkrun, so warm up is a slow jog there while doing some dynamic stretches and drills. When I arrive I do a 400m run at 8m/mile pace, followed by some stretching

Stretching before exercise (if static) is bad for you. You actually weaken the tendons ability to transfer muscle power to the limbs


I have read this as well, however, I find that if I don't do some stretches, I am prone to injury.

I think that there is lots of conflicting information about stretching before exercise, so hard to know what is the right thing to do


do you stretch afterwards?
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mattsurf




Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Posts: 154
Location: salisbury

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:


do you stretch afterwards?


Yes

I am interested to understand what works for people in terms of stretching. I did try to exercise without stretching beforehand after reading about it, however, I found that my calf muscle is too tight and I pulled it a couple of times. Maybe I could just stretch my calf before running.

I do not stretch before swimming or cycling, only running.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
explorerJC




Joined: 20 Oct 2005
Posts: 14088
Location: Farthingstone

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
explorerJC wrote:


do you stretch afterwards?


Yes

I am interested to understand what works for people in terms of stretching. I did try to exercise without stretching beforehand after reading about it, however, I found that my calf muscle is too tight and I pulled it a couple of times. Maybe I could just stretch my calf before running.

I do not stretch before swimming or cycling, only running.


What mobilisation exercises do you do before running for your calf muscles?
_________________
www.appliedtri.co.uk Tri and Du coaching

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website
mattsurf




Joined: 28 Sep 2016
Posts: 154
Location: salisbury

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I typically do 2 sets of Gastrocnemius Stretches for 30 seconds.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 74, 75, 76, 77, 78, 79  Next
Page 75 of 79
  Share
 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum





Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk®.co.uk. All rights reserved.