Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The sub-20 minute 5k run thread?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
TriSam

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Need to improve endurance a bit and speed endurance

Quote:
but I was on for under 21 until 4km when I blew.

I would agree Smile What type of racing is your A goal this year?
Jgav

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TriSam wrote:
Quote:
Need to improve endurance a bit and speed endurance

Quote:
but I was on for under 21 until 4km when I blew.

I would agree Smile What type of racing is your A goal this year?

Main races are sprint distance tri in May, Olympic (London Tri) in July then the royal parks half marathon in October.

My other goal is sub 45min 10k and 20min 5k but they're not race targets, just goals to achieve. I would like to think I could do a 1h45 half in October with a stretch target of 1h40.
Adcoulter1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found being paced makes life much easier. Have gone from a c.24min 5k Im now at 21.07 (PB) three weeks later though be that with a pacer! Not sure if I was just being lazy to now but want to now get it below the 20min mark. Due to the rapid decrease over the past few weeks I think my expectations may be too high - wanting to get under the 20 asap but feel I will need to train harder to do so.

Are sprint sessions worth while or should I be doing longer runs so to increase my endurance?
PCP

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adcoulter1 wrote:
I've found being paced makes life much easier. Have gone from a c.24min 5k Im now at 21.07 (PB) three weeks later though be that with a pacer! Not sure if I was just being lazy to now but want to now get it below the 20min mark. Due to the rapid decrease over the past few weeks I think my expectations may be too high - wanting to get under the 20 asap but feel I will need to train harder to do so.

Are sprint sessions worth while or should I be doing longer runs so to increase my endurance?

I would say both. The best way to run faster is to run faster.
I find that 1 min max efforts and 1k efforts have made a big difference to me recently but so have 10 mile runs with tempo efforts in.
twhat

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adcoulter1 wrote:

More than one way to skin a cat, just regular consistent running will get you there eventually. As PCP says you should be doing both but a weekly intervals session will be very helpful...
I find 6x1k off 1min30 recovery a good session... Plenty of other session structures but 'sprinting' isnt necessary (assuming you mean 100-200m). The rule of thumb for intervals is keep the pace as high as possible but make sure it is consistent across the session. Try and run 6-7k at the pace and make your recoveries a bit less than 50% of the rep time, depending onn the interval distance (you will wnat longer between 1.5k reps than between 400m reps). NO point running so fast you cut the session short. I have always found the 6x1k a good indicator for 5k pace... if you can manage 6 in 4 mins off 90s recovery you should be around/just under 20 mins in a 5k race situation..

This site is great for training ideas
http://www.runningforfitness.org/calc/training/pace?metres=5000&hr=0&min=20&sec=0&age=40&gender=M&Submit=Calculate
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally managed sub 20 Parkrun 5k.... it is actually 5.05k. Went from previous PB of 20:24 set 2 weeks ago to 19:51. It was salisbury's 100th Parkrun and I was determined to get sub 20. Next challenge sub 19 5k and sub 40 10k

Last edited by mattsurf on Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
jibberjim

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Finally managed sub 20 Parkrun 5k.... it is actually 5.05k. Went from previous PB of 20:24 set 2 weeks ago to 19:51. It was some salisbury's 100th Parkrun and I was determined to get sub 20.

Great!

mattsurf wrote:
Next challenge sub 19 5k and sub 40 10k

Break the other collarbone, if sports science papers have told me anything, then there's clearly a strong correlation there for you?
Wheezy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mattsurf wrote:
Finally managed sub 20 Parkrun 5k.... it is actually 5.05k. Went from previous PB of 20:24 set 2 weeks ago to 19:51. It was some salisbury's 100th Parkrun and I was determined to get sub 20. Next challenge sub 19 5k and sub 40 10k

Nice one.
Mungo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great run matt.

Hows the broken shoulder?

I think 5 k stand alones are just about how much pain you can endure whilst still keeping good run form.
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jibberjim wrote:
mattsurf wrote:
Finally managed sub 20 Parkrun 5k.... it is actually 5.05k. Went from previous PB of 20:24 set 2 weeks ago to 19:51. It was some salisbury's 100th Parkrun and I was determined to get sub 20.

Great!

mattsurf wrote:
Next challenge sub 19 5k and sub 40 10k

Break the other collarbone, if sports science papers have told me anything, then there's clearly a strong correlation there for you?

I think that there may be a fault in your logic, however, if you can provide evidence that 2 broken collarbones are faster than one....
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mungo wrote:
Great run matt.

Hows the broken shoulder?

I think 5 k stand alones are just about how much pain you can endure whilst still keeping good run form.

I am not in any pain while running (other than would normally be expected while pushing as hard as possible for 5k), and running form feels good

Collarbone is remarkably pain free, shoulder feels stiff, especially first thing in the morning and Pectoral muscle feels tight.

19 mins feels like a big challenge, I ran 3:49, 3:50, 4:08, 4:04, 3:53, 0:07
I would like to think that I can be more consistent in the 2 slow KM's in the middle, but running 3:48/km seems like a big jump.
Mungo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from one long run outside, which was encouraging and two brick sessions, im still mostly treadmill.

With two 70.3"s as my main target this year my 5k run speed is not paramount.

As already suggested intervals and track sessions are probably the fastest route for you to a 19 min 5k. However they can exhaust you and lead to niggles.

The 10 k is simple.... do what you've just done.......twice.

Personally I'd go 19:30 then 19:00.

What is your A race this year?
mattsurf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mungo wrote:

What is your A race this year?

Tenby

Most of my running is 15-20km at less than 150bpm in preparation, however, I do like my weekly 5k parkrun, where I put in max effort. I realise that the way to improve would be track sessions, but they don't really fit in with my plan, so I will continue with Parkrun and try to stretch my PBs as a bit of fun
Mungo

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2017 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hardly call 5 k flat out fun but it all helps I guess.
Please tell me IM Wales with 7000 ft of climbing is not your first full distance?!

70.3?
mattsurf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mungo wrote:
I hardly call 5 k flat out fun but it all helps I guess.
Please tell me IM Wales with 7000 ft of climbing is not your first full distance?!

70.3?

Wales will be my second full distance, I am entered into the Ultimate Triathlon in Shropshire on 11 June

Not too worried about hills, I feel that I am pretty good at hills, both cycling and running
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 76, 77, 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 77 of 80

Jump to: