Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The sub-20 minute 5k run thread?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79, 80  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try doing the first km 15 seconds faster, and see how well you can hang on. It hurts a bit, but you might go quicker. You might not.
iwaters

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2017 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking to get back on this target. My fitness slipped over Xmas and I put weight back on. Getting back into the swing of things now. Interestingly last year I did 22:53 weighing 15 stone. Couple of weeks ago I did 22:52 weighing 16.

I'm trying to shed what I put on over the winter and then hopefully a bit more. I think if I can keep the fitness up and lose another couple of stone I should be pretty close to the 20 min mark.

I don't have any 5K races or TTs in my plan now for a while as it is nearing race season so it might be towards the end of the season I find out.

Also hoping to go sub 5:30 on my swim 400m towards the end of year too.
Jgav

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went out and ran 4.5km this lunch time at an average of 4.30min/km, more importantly my average HR was 148 which is much lower than it used to be when running this course. My threshold HR is about 175bpm. The other positive was that it was negative splits, so the paces towards the end were closing in on my target 5km race pace.

All looking good for my next 5km test on Monday. Let's see if I can get closer to that 20 minute mark.
Adcoulter1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks all. KingstonGraham I took your advice and managed to get a number of PB's. 4:00 1 k, 6:33 1 mile and 20:26 5k! I found that starting off quicker led me to try and maintain the faster pace rather than reverting to my slower normal pace. There is obv a very thin line to tred with maintaining the pace vs not blowing out too soon. Have a Parkrun this Saturday on a flatter course than my usual route, so hoping to creep closer to the 20:00 min mark!
KingstonGraham

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adcoulter1 wrote:
Thanks all. KingstonGraham I took your advice and managed to get a number of PB's. 4:00 1 k, 6:33 1 mile and 20:26 5k! I found that starting off quicker led me to try and maintain the faster pace rather than reverting to my slower normal pace. There is obv a very thin line to tred with maintaining the pace vs not blowing out too soon. Have a Parkrun this Saturday on a flatter course than my usual route, so hoping to creep closer to the 20:00 min mark!

Great stuff. There is a line to tread, but you don't know what you can hold on to unless you give it a go. And if it's a parkrun, there's always next time if it doesn't work for you.
Jgav

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did another good session today of 800m/400m reps (4 sets) at 3.10m and 1.30m.

Been out doing some longer runs than my normal stuff i.e. 6 and 9 mile runs last week. Feel like I'm getting closer to that 20min goal.
smitters

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Continuing my theme of a-grade lurking, I shall pop in to say I have done absolutely no specific 5km training, instead preparing myself for a solo 24 hour race in July by doing long slow running, including a 12 week MAF block with an hr limit of 139, then chucking in a weekly steady state run midweek from late Feb. I usually push my boy round parkrun in a buggy, in a respectable enough time of ~24 mins, given it's a grassy course, four laps and has plenty of corners, so imagine my delight when I went out for my first ever flat out parkrun effort and nicked a parkrun pb of 20.39. The game is truly on for 2017, once I get my A race out of the way.
Jgav

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2017 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

smitters wrote:
imagine my delight when I went out for my first ever flat out parkrun effort and nicked a parkrun pb of 20.39. The game is truly on for 2017, once I get my A race out of the way.

Good job on that run. Just a smidgen quicker and you'll be graduating from this thread to the sun-18 thread! Amazing to think it can be done with very little speed work.
smitters

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jgav wrote:
smitters wrote:
imagine my delight when I went out for my first ever flat out parkrun effort and nicked a parkrun pb of 20.39. The game is truly on for 2017, once I get my A race out of the way.

Good job on that run. Just a smidgen quicker and you'll be graduating from this thread to the sun-18 thread! Amazing to think it can be done with very little speed work.

Cheers! I suspect that it's a combo of the steady state run and pushing a buggy, which has developed some leg strength to be honest. Speedwork in disguise.
Jgav

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another attempt at a 5km PB last night. Set off on the normal route to find the path completely blocked, so had to run up stairs cross 3 roads and add 150m on to the total distance grrrr.

Completed in 5 seconds faster than normal, so pretty decent speed but I just can't compare to last time. Could be as much as a minute to 90 seconds quicker overall.
blindcider

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haven't really been specifically training for 5k but my times have consistently dropped to between 21:05 and 21:40 this year.

I then did a 20:45 last week in a flat out and back two days after a tough 4 mile trail race so whilst that last 46 seconds to break 20:00 is still a hefty chunk it now feels achievable if I properly target and train for it.

I have a 24hr race coming up in a month though so can't focus on it yet Mad
SGreg

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I have 3 weeks off my IM Wales training plan so perfect time to get this monkey off my back.

I have 3 <21 park runs and I'm pretty sure I have a sub 20 in me, Its just a case of putting it all together.

My problem is pacing I just always always always go out too fast. The Park run event I do starts on a big grassy down hill, and its almost impossible to not get off to a very hard start. The Stava segment is even called "you've gone off too fast" Laughing

So I guess my first task is learning to Settle quickly, Last time out it didn't feel overly hard however the first mile was all Sub 6 mm. Way too fast and I just couldn't hold it. So going by feel isn't enough.
gingerbongo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SGreg wrote:
Ok I have 3 weeks off my IM Wales training plan so perfect time to get this monkey off my back.

I have 3 <21 park runs and I'm pretty sure I have a sub 20 in me, Its just a case of putting it all together.

My problem is pacing I just always always always go out too fast. The Park run event I do starts on a big grassy down hill, and its almost impossible to not get off to a very hard start. The Stava segment is even called "you've gone off too fast" Laughing

So I guess my first task is learning to Settle quickly, Last time out it didn't feel overly hard however the first mile was all Sub 6 mm. Way too fast and I just couldn't hold it. So going by feel isn't enough.

I know this may sound obvious, but take a look over the last few month's worth of Parkrun results and look for a few names of people that consistently (like pretty much every time) finish in and around 20 mins. If you recognise any of them, find them at the start and just stick to them like glue. Resist the temptation to go off too fast and trust their pacing. I personally find that ladies and older runners tend to me much better at pacing, as opposed to younger males for example.

Obviously this isn't fool proof, as they may be having an off day or have other plans, but you can have a chat with them at the start if you feel confident, or look out for a couple of people.
Buzz_

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingerbongo wrote:
SGreg wrote:

I know this may sound obvious, but take a look over the last few month's worth of Parkrun results and look for a few names of people that consistently (like pretty much every time) finish in and around 20 mins. If you recognise any of them, find them at the start and just stick to them like glue. Resist the temptation to go off too fast and trust their pacing. I personally find that ladies and older runners tend to me much better at pacing, as opposed to younger males for example.

Obviously this isn't fool proof, as they may be having an off day or have other plans, but you can have a chat with them at the start if you feel confident, or look out for a couple of people.

Or you hitch on to a guy who is really an 18min 5K runner, but always goes off too fast and crawls in just under 20! A bit of Strava stalking you might be able to find the mile splits for a few of the front guys to see what they are running the first mile in. Or try a different parkrun!
SGreg

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure a different Parkrun will bring a sub 20. But to me that's not the point its about progress, once I have gone sub20 for MY Parkrun I can start looking for the faster courses. But at this stage it will feel like cheating.

As for finding an unofficial pacer yeah that was going to be my strategy. My rather aging Garmin (305) doesn't have quite give the necessary feedback, especially under trees and such.

Last time Out I noticed a girl runner was up near the front and when the horn went, she was like me off like a bullet, about 500m in she suddenly slowed drastically, I obviously dropped her, to try and hang on to the fast group. The thought went through my head she probably knew what she was doing and maybe I should match her pace. but as I said, at this stage it really didn't FEEL hard.

Mile 2ish as my body was failing and my run falling a part, she predictably came sailing past, and yes checking the results she was sub20. So clearly this theory is sound.

Think I will find another runner to stalk as intentionally stalking a young woman round the course may be a bit ...creepy Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 77, 78, 79, 80  Next
Page 78 of 80

Jump to: