Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The sub-20 minute 5k run thread?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80

View previous topic :: View next topic  
twhat

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
I've run a couple of 19s off the bike this season. The way I train to gain speed is to run 3, then 4 then 5 km at the goal pace (off the bike in my case when I'm training). Simple progression of distance; just keep holding-on for longer.

I 'bandited' our local PR last weekend as I switched to a Saturday long run and it's on my usual route where I stash a bottle and do some laps; I kept wanting to tell anyone who overtook me that I'd already 22km Rolling Eyes My splits may have sped-up a little at one point Very Happy

19 mins off the bike in training sounds pretty darn tidy Jorgan, especially if you are focusing on Ironman ? Do you find the swimming and cycling let the running take care of itself to some extent ? I was always lucky enough for this to work for me.. I'm planning on spending the next 9 months/ 1yr to focus on the running still but will hopefully get back involved in tri next year.... i dread to think what my bike numbers look like after 3 years off...
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I've focused on longer events for the last 10 years now. But I do a lot of shorter speed work during the winter to keep the interest up, and to prepare for early season races. It's the long solo rides I'm doing now that I loathe!
Jgav

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
Jgav wrote:
twhat wrote:
The pacing thing...I find it such a hard thing to do. Invariably, 5k or 10k, my fastest splits are km 1,2 and the last one. I always think i need to slow the first two and build into it..but never manage it.
The thing is, my last 10k race, i did the same, and came 12th in 38.10. Turns out though... looking at the 11 guys ahead of me... with the winner clocking 33mins... they all did the same....

I have my first standalone 10k this Sunday since September. Using it as a pacing test before the London Triathlon at the end of July. I have no idea what pace to start off at but I've been running 400/800m interval sets at 3.55m/km so I reckon start at 4.15 and see how it goes.

Are you going to cycle to the start?

I didn't for this one but I have been doing some bike run sessions recently. 46min 10k pace off a 1 hour hard (for me) bike.

So the race went pretty well. My plan of starting at 4.15 held for the first half but then felt I was a bit over the line and dropped off a bit. Came in at 43.40 for a new PB (previous standalone 10k was over 48min back in September '16). Strangely average heartrate using my wrist based HR reader was 151 with a max of 160. Based on my training runs that is far too low and I suspect that it was misreading. I normally run tempo runs at 165+ and threshold is 175.

Splits

Now onto London Tri for my first Oly distance race.
blindcider

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another step towards sub 20 last night.

Ran somewhere around 20:30 (exact time waiting on results) taking circa 15 seconds off my PB and down from 21:06 at the start of the year. Same race as last month where I bought it down to 20:45. Flattish out and back along a railway path, Started to die in the last km and needed to drop the pace for 5-10 seconds before picking up the pace again. 9:51 at the turn around but it is very slightly uphill on the way back so hard to evenly pace it. Used another runner to pace me on the way out but he slowed after the turn so ended up on my own on the way back which I found tough as the faster runners continued to stretch the gap in front

Beginning to believe I can do it now - 6ish seconds per km feels achievable.

Still not actually training for 5km so the gains are coming from my normal training and consistency without injuries which is a positive
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 78, 79, 80
Page 80 of 80

Jump to: