Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Race Report - FIM IM Austria 2010
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
fatirishman

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Race Report - FIM IM Austria 2010 Reply with quote

Ironman Austria - 2010 Race Report.

My third Ironman, but my first WTC race, the buzz is still as big as ever for me. I still get the butterflies at the start, still worry like crazy about it all going wrong, still am getting that thrill to cross the line, and am still sitting here after the race not believing I’ve done it. The minute the thrill wears off I suppose is time to pack it in, as the training won’t be worth it, but having sworn three years ago I was only doing the one I don’t honestly think I can say I feel I’m close to packing my bike bag away. I had a bit of a review at the start of the year, looking back over old posts, being apprehensive about my first Vitruvian, being in a panic about Roth, and blubbing at Barcelona it’s been a hell of a road and there’still plenty of it to come.

Austria was suggested to me by Toddy, JonOB and backed up by the reports here I’d read by AndyS, Pip, P00key and others as being a dammed fine race. Scenery, organization, support and not too hilly. Not too hilly in the alps? I was cursing you guys going up the Rupertsberg on the second lap. The location is fantastic, and the turquoise waters of the Woerthersee ensured it was the best open water swim venue I’d ever experienced. It’s clean, it’s beautiful and any worries I had about my first mass start swim were quelled when I went for a test swim with the TriTalk crew on the Friday morning. KiwiBrad however has a different idea of a leisurely swim to me, for goodness sake mate admit you were pushing it on the way back!

Great Location!

TriTalk representation wasn’t in the numbers we’d had at Barcelona, but it was great to put a face to some new names. There were some of the regulars too including our new Kona star KP very well done indeed madam, seeing a Tripey on a podium is fantastic, and to come into Ironman and qualify for the world championships in your first year is just incredible. We are in awe. Her other half Small Angry Man, produced a fantastic bike split – ooops that’s the same as mine, Henley JP kept me company on the run for a bit, I kept bumping in Nevin and Mitten on the “run” too… actually to be fair I saw everyone on the run but was only afforded a glimpse of the speeding KP who seemed to be out of sight within seconds! The endurance award for the race however has to go to Dallas. Her first Ironman and she showed what it was about, digging in, finishing and buying lots of stuff (?). Seriously well done. You really should do Regensburg next year with the rest of the “get value for money by racing longer” team.

The boring stuff: I stayed at Hotel Dermuth http://www.hotel-dermuth.at/hotel-klagenfurt-deutsch/ cheap, relatively (2km) from the start, and very clean. Excellent breakfast, lovely restaurant, and they have a pool, sauna and bikes to borrow. No problems there. I didn’t book my flight early enough to fly to Klagenfurt directly, and was dammed if I was paying Ryanair £80 for a bike anyhow.. so flew to Munich. Bit of a drive…. Oh and speeding costs 87 Euros!

I’d only done Challenge races until now, so wasn’t quite sure what to expect from a dot M race. Was there any difference? Well yes…. A little. Challenge is definitely more chilled, a little more family friendly and athlete orientated. The cut offs are the cut offs, the rules will be applied even for the strugglers. I knew I was a marketing opportunity too in Austria, yip they managed to squeeze another 10,000 Euros out of the competitors by charging to use a chip (what?), and I fell for all the usual nonsense at the expo. But hey if I was running the business I’d squeeze it, maybe not so obviously though as starting to charge for the “free beer” at the athletes party after the presentations!

The pasta party was well worth going to. It’d been a bit of a flop at Barcelona, but the pasta was good, atmosphere fantastic and even the entertainment from the Danish gymnasts was worth seeing. Go!

Saturday bike check in very efficient, chips on all the bikes cross referenced to your picture so they can’t be pinched. Very well done. Transition bags were let’s face it rubbish. We closed them with a zip tie – so you try getting that off in T1. Drawstring canvas bags would have been so much better. They admitted they slipped up mind you.

Race Day

Deep water start? The hooter went as I was walking into the water on the slow start side of the pier. The scrapping began immediately. Fortuantely I’m larger than your average triathlete, and as soon as the guys swimming around me realised that punching the black mass beside them had some serious consequences they soon stopped. Finding clear water was an issue, but I really enjoyed the swim and hung onto feet all way round. As we entered the final 800 metres the canal you could see and hear the support on both sides. You never hear support on a swim I thought, a great experience. I got out of the swim in 1:05, and was well pleased. There were masses behind me and I seem to have got to T1 with some good people! Oh well they would all pass me on the bike.

A smooth transition led to a steady start to the bike. Get some fluids into me, and start the fuelling. Fantastically smooth roads and stunning views for the first 30km of the bike. Support started to build throughout the morning and unlike in Barcelona I never felt alone on the bike. There were people in pointy helmets riding very tasty looking bikes flying past me. Stuff ‘em I thougt, they can’t swim and anyhow I’m riding my own race. It’s a long old day to come, and I need to keep to the plan.

First of the hills came just after I saw Marino Vanhoenacker flying in the opposite direction on his way to post the fourth fastest Ironman time ever. He was looking a little better than me, but I gave him a shout out anyhow! He seems a very modest and approachable chap, the sort that deserve to win. Back to my hills, I don’t like hills and some bugger seems to have put them in Austria. I should know this, I go skiing there enough and it really ought not to have taken me surprise. Chair lifts were not available on this occasion, nor was my hip flask to hand. The support on the two hills was fantastic. We had a devil with a trident, and a tour de France type atmosphere on the first one. Great, I’m a tart and people yelling support at me really keeps me going. I’m going to make as much noise at the Outlaw as I can when I drag my corpse out of the swim. I have to go buy a vuvuzella and shout like Cleo because it really really helps! The first lap petered out into Klagenfurt and I hit the turnaround pretty much on race schedule (I had one of those). Lap 2 didn’t go so well.

The Ironman Gods had been smiling on me so far. PB swim, nice first lap on the bike and hey I felt good. Sure it was only a bit of a Sunday ride until now. I ripped open a bag of sports beans and got them into me as per my nutrition plan. Hmm, that didn’t go down well and my stomach started to cramp. Bang went the nutrition plan until the cramps past putting nothing but isotonic drink into held me through, but this I think effected my energy levels for the second bash at the Rupertsberg. Anyhow half way into the second lap the distant sound of thunder materialized into a rain storm, wind and everything. I merrily took the rise out of the “Ironmen” stopped huddling under bus shelters whilst those of us used to cycling in the rain pressed on. See there are some advantages although not many to training in the UK! Just after the rain finished the sun returned and mechanical problems appeared. I’d had a new chain ring fitted, and somehow now I couldn’t engage it. Not a real problem as everything else was fine so I pushed on round to the end of the bike.

T2. I hate T2. In T2 all I could think of was damn it’s running time. I forced myself out onto the course in the now tropical sunshine on the run. I started slowly but then got into my stride. Catching up with HenleyJP I ran the first 10km with him, walking as planned the aid stations to hydrate. His feet were giving him hell, and I eventually left him just after 10km when he could run no more. Whoosh KP then past me on her second lap…. OK keep going. As yet I’d seen none of my endurance group colleagues in Nevin, Dallas or Liztri. I just caught Nevin however slipping out of T1 as I passed it… I had to pass Lou, Dallas’ supporter who was absolutely amazing all day, the amount of nonsense that poor woman had to listen to from paranoid triathletes was incredible. I always asked how everyone was going.. it was an excuse for a few minute breather and I wanted to know everyone was still on the road. The remainder of the run takes you into Klagenfurt, past lucky buggers drinking beer and having fun. God was it hot! Hosepipes from gardens are nice from time to time, but it was really hot! I could have done with one of those cold beers. I got to the half way mark. At least I’d run the half marathon, then run walk started, With hindsight I should have and could have HTFU’d and kept going but started chatting to a Canadian girl who had similar IM times to me and we ran walked together for 7km. I then got a grip and started a shuffle again pushing on to the 10km to go. Note to self do not be distracted by pretty girls on the run, Run walk started again. The last 10km were hell. They were always going to be, but that’s the deal with Ironman. We sign up to fight those demons, and to train our mind to tell our body to keep going. Thanks to the Brits that made me run the last few km to get me to the line, you’re stars guys. I crossed the line in a disappointing 13:56, but to be honest it was all that was in me on the day. I’m still happy with my finish, still pleased with my performance but know I can do better.

I need to sort out my nutrition, train harder, lose weight and run more. I also have to hit the hills on the bike and be more consistent in my training. I will do some weights too. I must not be scared of the meat head area in the gym. We all know our own weaknesses, Ironman exposes them, and I know where I need to put the effort in.

<object><param></param><param></param><param></param></object>

On returning to my hotel I collapsed, slept the sleep of the righteous, and awoke to read the most fantastic comments on this board from those watching the race online. I was genuinely touched, but slightly concerned that my musings about entering IM Regensburg had been firmed up by Barnetrose in my absence.

Next day foot massage and athletes party…. Both were worth doing! But great to see KP up there with the pros. Not so sure about the thigh slapping Austrian dancing mind you. What was particularly good was to get that first beer into me. I’d been denying myself for three months, and had been fantasizing about it on the run whilst running through Klagenfurt.

I’ve entered Regensburg, of course I have. “Just one Ironman…… I’m only doing one honestly….” Did I really say that? Looking forward to racing with the older and bolder next year!
dr dre

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice report FIM and great time Cool
Slacker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cracking report Paul, well done pal - 3rd IM!, you should be rightly proud of yourself for doing 3 yrs in a row, i did 1 IM and had to have a year off and slack about Smile

Good man yerself.
Slacko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report FIM! Already looking forward to Regensberg next year! Very Happy
adrian73

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great race and report Paul!!! You might not be happy with your time, but an IM finish is an IM finish. And that's 3 now!!
p00key

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Report Paul , saw you coming over the finish line . Now I need at least a 7 hour bike split next year , so I need to join you on Sunday rides .
savaloy

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love it. Cracking report Cool
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another one in der Tasche Cool

I wonder how many people each year, swim in to the metal signs they have about 15m in to the water - they don't pad them or anything Rolling Eyes Mad
theprawn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice report. helped pass monday morning in the office. Smile
sesel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats on a great race and a great report. A good read!
Mrs Slacko

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Austria is a tad hillier than it's talked about! Welldone, good result, nothing wrong with a 13 something!! Roll on Regensberg Clap
Dallas

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Austria is a tad hillier than it's talked about!

+1

flat my ar*e
Navin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report Paul.

That's my name you're running on in the photo, or are you trying to erase it?

I stopped off in Regensburg on the way home, that's going to be a scenic route, the run goes right through the old part of town. Seriously tempted myself but I'm going to have to do some proper run training before then.
Papa Razzi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic race and report Paul - great effort....again.

How do you rate the bike course compared to Barca now you've done both?

Is hilly easier than pan flat?

Regards,

PR

Road To Roth
tribaby

PostPosted: Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That just sent shivers down my spine...... Very Happy

Am hoping to do Roth this weekend......if i ever get my head straight!

Well done!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: