Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
My attempt at an excuse free IMA report
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wonderboy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:27 pm    Post subject: My attempt at an excuse free IMA report Reply with quote

I went to Austria feeling good. I knew I was fitter than last year and knowing the Austrian course and what an Ironman feels like would be advantageous. Last year was easy. Meticulous planning and sensible riding meant I cruised round in 9:41. This year I simply swim, bike and run a bit quicker, take some painkillers and 9:15 would be on the cards. Not easy but very do-able!

Swim

This year I started waaaay right, at the front. It was the cleanest 1400m I've ever swum. I got in a good bunch and found some good feet. At the first turn the group split and I was caught leading the second pack. Having taken it easy till now, I decided to break away and catch up the group in front, which had grown to 20 meters and I caught this up by half way along the 400m strech across the lake. Safely back in the group we made our way to the canal - where I decided I wanted to move from the back and middle to up the front. Once in the canal you are stuck to that position. I kicked and immediately cramped in my calf. This carried on and I decided to stretch it out as we entered the canal. It was shallow and I spent a minute massaging it. Quick check of the watch - 43 mins. Back to the swim and felt better but protected the leg. I exited in 57 mins, 2 mins quicker than last year and 2 mins slower than this year's best case scenario.

T1 was ok, with long runs it;s never going to be quick. I decided on road shoes and an aero helmet.

Bike

The plan was to ride a 200-210 watt first lap and 210-220 watt second lap. Which should have been about a 2:35/2:30 split. First lap was comfy. Got into a good group and paced well got round in 2:34 at 203watts. Nutrition was going well - plan was 3 gels with water an hour and drink infinit when I wanted/needed it. It seemed to be working.
I picked up the rest of my gels at special needs and the group was moving well. At the first mini climb I found myself at the back of the group and it split. Before long the mini group split too and I found myself riding alone trying to catch up - an impossible task but I carried on pushing the pace. I was starting to suffer with the change of pace and at the top of the first big climb I was shagged. The downhill section was a nice respite and I sat up and stretch the legs and waited for the group behind to catch up. Which they did, and then completely blew me out the back!
Looking at 160 watts and not be able to do anything is a humbling experience. Groups would catch me up at the foot of a hill and then leave me as we started the climb.
The final result wasn't as bad as it could have been. 5:15 but it all went wrong at 140km with the pace dropping rapidly.

T2 again was not an issue, under 3 mins again and I was on my way.

Run

In prep I ran a 2:02 20 mile road race with no prep or specific training. I am capable of running a 2:40 marathon fresh. I should be able to run a 3:10 IM marathon I thought which would give me a 9:25. But I was massively dehydrated. Rough calculations show I only drank 1 litre of infinit on the bike, but had got 15 gels and water in. But it wasn't enough. I hadn't pee'd - last year I did 3 on the bike. I felt all the coke just sloshing around my stomach.
Up to ten km I was ok. Taking coke and running around 7:15-7:30 min/mile but then the power source was stopped. The lights were switched off and there really was no one home. Long stints of walking interspersed with running (at 7:15-7:20 min/mile) which felt fine. a 5 minute stop for emptying my stomach of all coke and water and I felt better. But with nothing in my system it was only a matter of time before my body failed. I thought I'd push as hard as I could and made the half way in about 1:42. A 3:30 was possibly on the cards and if a miracle happened I could beat last years time. With no nutrition staying in I decided to just run through the aid stations and just chuck water and sponges over me to keep me cool.
The walking bits became longer than the running bits and I was so close to giving up. It was too easy to stop there though. I wanted to cry but there was no water in me! I felt lonely and tired, sick and shaking. My thoughts had gone from a time to just finish. With 5k or so to go I thought I could just about scrape under 10 hours. I had turned my watch off and it showed I said about 4:30pm. If I finished before 5pm I would be under ten. At 16:57 I got to 42km and heard the commentator count down from ten. I got round the corner and saw 10:00:55. My heart sank. I stood still for 30seconds head in my hands before walking over the line, letting a man and his child enjoy the finish chute alone! They didn't want me ruining their photo!
I was taken to the med tent and had a couple drips because I hadn't been to the loo all day and had done the marathon taking nothing in.
My finish time was 10:01:25 which isn't bad at all but nowhere near my capabilities or what my fitness hints at.

I know where it went wrong but I can only blame myself for changing nutrition strategies from one that worked last year.
runtilyoudrop

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough day out!

I think the heat probably had a lot to do with it too!
putt putt

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

interesting report! sounds tough. dont beat yourself up for trying something different - its all trial and error and nothing in training quite replicates the race itself.
Triple IM 09, DecaIron (137h- 4th) 09, GUCR 10, 2.46 Mara Apr 11, 9.38 Roth 11, 9.57 IMUK 11 (Q Kona). 2012 - 5th AG nat dua, 9.27 TBW (1st). 2013 Tampa Dble (24.13 - 3rd), Oct Mara 2.49 (1st) 2014 Gin Pit 2.58 (CR)/3.15, AG Gold GB Duo March15 (50-54)
WhittleFit

PostPosted: Tue Jul 13, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough day at the office. Don't sweat it, there are other races.
SmallAngryMan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tough day Sad

Any idea what went wrong? Sounds like something funky happened with your nutrition on the bike (I assume it's unlikely you just blew up!) and then carried into the run?

Not really so angry these days!
2 scheds

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hard lines. Sad

Take lessons from the experience and come back quicker and stronger. Smile
fatirishman

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm still in awe of you guys.

It's a race plan like I only read about in magazines, and I can't imagine how you do it. Hopefully it will come off next time.
p00key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a wiseman said to me "Ironman can be a heartbreaker" . Still a very respectable time .
robspot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I notice that nowhere in your report do you mention that you ride a PX Stealth. It is almost certainly that which ~#*$ up your nutrition Very Happy

Seriously though, as I said, 10 hours is WELL out of the reach of mere mortals and to do that with the problems you had is awesome. Next time, don't get it wrong and do go sub 9.

tunney

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: My attempt at an excuse free IMA report Reply with quote

wonderboy wrote:

Bike

The plan was to ride a 200-210 watt first lap and 210-220 watt second lap. Which should have been about a 2:35/2:30 split. First lap was comfy. Got into a good group and paced well got round in 2:34 at 203watts. Nutrition was going well - plan was 3 gels with water an hour and drink infinit when I wanted/needed it. It seemed to be working.
I picked up the rest of my gels at special needs and the group was moving well. At the first mini climb I found myself at the back of the group and it split. Before long the mini group split too and I found myself riding alone trying to catch up - an impossible task but I carried on pushing the pace. I was starting to suffer with the change of pace and at the top of the first big climb I was shagged. The downhill section was a nice respite and I sat up and stretch the legs and waited for the group behind to catch up. Which they did, and then completely blew me out the back!
Looking at 160 watts and not be able to do anything is a humbling experience. Groups would catch me up at the foot of a hill and then leave me as we started the climb.
The final result wasn't as bad as it could have been. 5:15 but it all went wrong at 140km with the pace dropping rapidly.

The groups in Austria were sickening and mind numbingly stupid.

I swam 1:06 and then rode 200 watts average (217 normalised) for the first 80km groups pinged past me on the hills, descended like old grannies and for large groups rode on the flat like aload of pussies. By 80km the groups stopped pinging past me on the hills as they had blown their loads being macho on the hills and a constant and steady output meant I caught and past group after group after group to ride the easiest 180km I've ever ridden in 4:59

Given your swim time and bike time and mine I would have past and dropped you on the bike. I remember the names some of the english lads that pinged past me on the hills and I would be very curious as to your first name as some of them rode like utter utter tools.

All went fantastically for me until I hit the run when I decided i no longer needed to drink water. 27km my world ended and I had to walked until I get fluids back on board and manged to run/jog the end to finish in 9:51

Great race, shameful drafting on the bike.
JimboP

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: My attempt at an excuse free IMA report Reply with quote

wonderboy wrote:
Bike

Got into a good group and paced well got round in 2:34 at 203watts.

At the first mini climb I found myself at the back of the group and it split.

Before long the mini group split too and I found myself riding alone trying to catch up

I sat up and stretch the legs and waited for the group behind to catch up. Which they did, and then completely blew me out the back!

Perhaps I'm being pedantic but isn't Ironman a non-drafting format race where you're supposed to ride alone? I know at races such as Austria groups do form but it's frowned upon, against the rules and with any luck the draft busters card those guilty.

Sounds to me like you were in a road race! Only saying like..

Other than that, I'm sorry to hear it didn't go completely to plan. From my experience, none of the IMs following the first did either. Getting around an IM is easy peasy but actually trying to race it is another ball game altogether. Good luck for the next one. Smile
SmallAngryMan

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2010 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was assuming wonderboy was in a legal pace line rather than a peleton.

I saw plenty of both on race day. Sad

But I'm not sure the race report thread is the place to head off into drafting discussion.

Not really so angry these days!
wonderboy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Throughout the day so many people around me got pinged for drafting. I was completely legal for as much of it as possible. Up the climbs the group bunched up sure, but I used the groups to pace off.

If you are calling me a tool and a #@?# cyclist then fair enough! You are entitled to your opinion based of the facts available to you.

My name is Will
tunney

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wonderboy wrote:
Throughout the day so many people around me got pinged for drafting. I was completely legal for as much of it as possible. Up the climbs the group bunched up sure, but I used the groups to pace off.

If you are calling me a tool and a #@?# cyclist then fair enough! You are entitled to your opinion based of the facts available to you.

My name is Will

Didn't see ya then - Greg, Mike and Scott from GBR were the ones I was thinking off Smile
Whisk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunney wrote:
wonderboy wrote:

My name is Will

Didn't see ya then - Greg, Mike and Scott from GBR were the ones I was thinking off Smile

That's a relief - does that mean that Wonderboy isn't a tool and a #@?# cyclist after all Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: