Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The Award Winning Thread - Sub 10 IM Plan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 72, 73, 74  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
McC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big Willy wrote:
Forget the DIM - start training hard and smart and get a sub 9 nailed - don't set your sights so low Laughing

Good luck - I'll be watching...

BW

Thanks BW. Another leg of the journey starts here...... Cool
Tigger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See you in Lanza!

With some decent swimming lessons you should easily be able to take 20 minutes off the swim.

There are other people better qualified to talk about the rest.
leigh195

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there watching as well! I've got some things to think about before i set down any time plans like that!

As a tight git too if you come across some good sessions that you reckon will be beneficial then let me know Very Happy I'm working on my winter plan at the moment and getting together the key sessions if your looking for any suggestions. Then it's 24 weeks of hard training and resting to nail the outlaw properly next year!
McC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leigh195 wrote:
I'll be there watching as well! I've got some things to think about before i set down any time plans like that!

As a tight git too if you come across some good sessions that you reckon will be beneficial then let me know Very Happy I'm working on my winter plan at the moment and getting together the key sessions if your looking for any suggestions. Then it's 24 weeks of hard training and resting to nail the outlaw properly next year!

No worries fella. I bet you're not so tight as to use a honey/water 50/50 mix in your Aquacell for long rides....? Wink

PM on it's way Leigh.
leigh195

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McC wrote:
I bet you're not so tight as to use a honey/water 50/50 mix in your Aquacell for long rides....?

No, but not a bad idea!
McC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

leigh195 wrote:
No, but not a bad idea!

57p for the equivalent of 14 gels! Very Happy
leigh195

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are the Bargin Bin King Razz
lizzy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McC wrote:
The 21 hours is based on 4.15am starts and a couple of longer sessions at the weekend, and an evening at the gym for strength training. This minimises impact on the family and still enables a normal working week. However, that's what's available if I need it to reach my goal and I'm happy if people think less could work for me too.

When are you going to sleep? The more you train the more rest you need. If you're trying to stick to that you'll train yourself into the ground. But luckily those sort of hours are not necessary. Smile
tivmeistergeneral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizzie & BW. Without asking you to reveal your training secrets, what does a typical peak week look like for you guys? I did a handful of 21 hour weeks for France. which is pretty do able if you're organised enough and are prepared to get up early. Here's an example. I tried to take a day off at the weekend.

Monday: 1:30 swim, 1:30 turbo session
Tuesday: 2 hr swim, 1:30 run
Wednesday: 2 hr bike/30min run brick (am)
Thursday: 2:30 run into work
Friday: 2 hr swim
Saturday: 1hr swim, 5hr bike, 1hr run
Sunday: off
tivmeistergeneral

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And best session ever, especially if you're a weaker runner and hate doing long runs:

Morning: 1:30 run at Ironman pace
Evening: 1 hour ride (keep it easy) into 1:30 at Ironman pace

Build up to it, obviously. I alternated this session week to week with a 2:30 run. I blew up every time I did this session but blew up later and later every time I attempted it.
McC

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lizzy wrote:
When are you going to sleep?

Normally at 10pm or slightly earlier. I've found that a little over 6 hours has become enough, and sufficient to not need an alarm clock on most days. Weekend long sessions might even start at 3:15am but also require an afternoon doze for half an hour or so.
JB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

McC,

21hrs/week off 6hrs shut eye? Not sure that's a great protocol...

I would guess reign the training down to get consistent (as others have said this is the key) 12 - 15hrs weeks in and use the other hrs to put your feet up and recover properly from the training...in my experience you'll get more benefit from this strategy...

In run up to IM I'd only put in a couple of weeks (3-4 out from race) close to the 21hrs...otherwise I'd fry myself!

Oh...and get fast first...you can cover the distance...now you need (and want) the speed to do it faster...endurance lasts....speed takes longer to gain and disappears quicker...be brave - I was and for the working/family athlete it's a viable protocol.

Good luck!
McC

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JB wrote:
Oh...and get fast first...you can cover the distance...now you need (and want) the speed to do it faster...endurance lasts....speed takes longer to gain and disappears quicker...be brave - I was and for the working/family athlete it's a viable protocol. Good luck!

Thanks JB. Just so I'm clear here, are you proposing that I focus on getting fast over much shorter distances and then scaling up: e.g. 5k runs, 20k bike TT's, and 400m swims for example?
leigh195

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it worth bringing up quality V quantity?

At 21 hours it would seem too much but it's the maximum available. I imagine that your aiming to hit 21 hours in the 'peak phase' later on in the training and have a average 10-14 hours per week?

Based on what I've been reading up on training IE Joe Friel and Fink + numerous websites it's recommended to have an endurance, speedwork & technique session for each every week. Would you play with percentages as to how it worked. What I've put below is just an example but if you feel it should be different then please change it to read right.

Base phase 60% Endurance, 10% Speedwork, 30% Technique

Build phase 50% Endurance, 25% Speedwork, 25% Technique

Peak phase 40% Endurance, 40% Speedwork, 20% Technique

As someone chasing getting faster as well it would be helpful to know more about where I put in the hours to get there.

Winter Training
Is it worth having sport specific months over the next 4 months to get it all sorted. I personally am aiming at a month of
Strength/core training - This ties in with getting th OH down the gym so all the time in the world for this
Bike - It'll still be good enough weather to spend outside
Run - This will be XC based so plenty of hill action
Swim - The darker days when i don't want to be outside

Apologies if I haven't raised any valid points or wasted a post but a bit too much Beer last night Smile

Leigh
Russ C

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was working in London I used to train 20-25 hours a week, slept 6-7 hours a night at maximum and went sub-10 in all 4 Ironmans I raced in the 2 year period before I left my job. Your ability to sustain a particular training volume and intensity and the sleep you need to do so is going to be a personal thing. Even now I rarely sleep more than 7 hours a night and more likely around 6.

I did have the advantage that my work was very flexible and more significantly no family time to worry about when not working. On the other hand I also commuted from Reading so spent around 2.5 hours a day standing on trains. Fortunately I'd occasionally work from home to relieve that.

In terms of fitting that in I was up at 5 and generally in bed between 10-11 at night. To do the hours I did I also always trained a lot over the weekend (not so much of an option for those with family). Weekday volume would typically be in the order of 2 hours per day. Weekends typically 6 hours+ per day.

Schedule would be something like:

Monday am: Swim + gym
Monday pm: Run
Tuesday am: Swim + easy run
Tuesday pm: Bike - Threshold/Intervals on turbo, brick run
Wednesday am: Swim
Wednesday pm: Long run
Thursday am: Easy run + gym
Thursday pm: Off
Friday am: Easy run
Friday pm: Easy run + Masters swim
Saturday am: Open water swim, Long bike (5-6 hours)
Saturday pm: Easy run
Sunday am: Open water swim, Long bike (3-4 hours)
Sunday pm: Run/Masters swim

Most weeks 1 or 2 of the weekday sessions would be moved or skipped. I'd keep key things like the bike turbo session and long run in place though.

In terms of quality vs quantity as a percentage of total training volume then yes I probably spent a lower percentage in higher training zones than others due to higher overall volume. In terms of absolute time I probably spent a similar amount of time at those intensities and then just had more lower intensity stuff too.

In terms of results - no health issues, no significant injuries, kept my job and employer happy (missed out on redundancy when I'd have jumped at it!) and went sub-10 in every Ironman I did in the period. It would be fair to say my social life was entirely built around training though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 72, 73, 74  Next
Page 2 of 74

Jump to: