Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
The Award Winning Thread - Sub 10 IM Plan
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 70, 71, 72  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nobbie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rooney wrote:
Iv not gone sub 10 yet .....this year 😄 I'm going #allin

If you take all that on board then sub 10 should be yours if you can survive the scorching sun of Nottingham (worse than any Euro IM Wink )
Rooney

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobbie wrote:
Rooney wrote:

If you take all that on board then sub 10 should be yours if you can survive the scorching sun of Nottingham (worse than any Euro IM Wink )

I like the sun Very Happy I'm ginger but solar powered Twisted Evil
Rooney

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to bump this up to page one
Wink

Where are all the fast guys with good tips?
John251288

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought I'd drag this classic thread back up....

I went 10.11 at Forestman on Sunday in my first IM. Got me wondering how fast I could go on a kinder course. So what races are good for fast times? My swimming and running are pretty solid but reckon with some hard work my bike could still improve.

Cheers
ironchimp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Euro: Barca, Copenhagen, outlaw, Kalmar, maybe Klag, Roth

USA: Florida, Arizona, maybe some others

Pacifica: Melbourne, Cairns, maybe Taupo
hillwall

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IM Germany, IM Austria. There's probably a load of small events as well that could be quick. Cologne 226 always looks good to me. Search through on https://www.k226.com/events/events.aspx

But you need to also get the right weather - if it is really windy or you suffer in the heat then that could be a problem if you are chasing times.

What were your splits for Forestman and how do these compare to your stand alone times for distances. How did your nutrition go on the day?

At a guess I would say you might be about 30 minutes faster on a kinder course (based on having done Forestman a couple of times and some other IM races when of a similar fitness).

Dunno why I am commenting on this thread since I am some way off 10h mark.
MTriton

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John251288 wrote:
Thought I'd drag this classic thread back up....

I went 10.11 at Forestman on Sunday in my first IM. Got me wondering how fast I could go on a kinder course. So what races are good for fast times? My swimming and running are pretty solid but reckon with some hard work my bike could still improve.

Cheers

John - I was just in front of you with 10.05. However, I was not racing fresh. Perhaps I would have had a sub-10 in me on the day had I been treating it as an A-race.

For comparison I have done 9.25 (Switzerland), 9.26 (Austria), 9.29 & 9.31 (Barcelona) and 10.00 (Roth - my first one which was with a puncture and a lot of rain). I'm now focusing on beyond Iron-distance (stupid as that sounds!) but I reckon I might have pushed on a bit and could do a little better than those times if I went for it on a fast course. However, that is easy to say and much harder to actually do! The proof is in the pudding.

Given the comparison and the fact that it was your first Iron-distance I think you should be looking for sub 9.45 on a kinder course with no relative improvement in your ability (save perhaps eating more salt on the run). With improvements on the bike and general improvement the times may come down substantially more beyond that. It depends at what stage along your athletic potential you have already reached . . . Let's hope the Forestman was not the pinnacle!
John251288

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies guys. I was thinking about 9.45. With the difference mainly coming on the bike. Reason being I've been swimming and running my whole life but only took up cycling in the last 2 years. Copenhagen looks good for a shot. Would you recommend training specifically for long flat sections? As you would train for specific gradients on hilly courses? I'm thinking the lack of change in cadence/position could be a different kind of exhausting!
doug

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not at your level (best time is 10:45), but yes I would train for long flat sections spent down in the aero bars. Flat races do put specific stresses on your body from holding the same position for several hours. You need to get used to this.

That being said, Copenhagen (assuming the same course as what I did in 2011 when it was a Challenge race) is not totally flat, there are a few rolling sections with some shortish hills (and some cobbles !) which helps break things up a little, all big ring stuff though.
MTriton

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rooney wrote:

So, Rooney, how did it go with your "All in" approach? Have you raced an Iron distance this year?
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MTriton wrote:
Rooney wrote:
Iv not gone sub 10 yet .....this year �� I'm going #allin

So, Rooney, how did it go with your "All in" approach? Have you raced an Iron distance this year?

I was just thinking that looking down the thread from the top of the page Very Happy

Don't be scared btw, I've 'failed' 4 times now; missing by seconds once and twice by single digit minutes and one 'blow-up'.
mikeaver

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
MTriton wrote:
Rooney wrote:

I was just thinking that looking down the thread from the top of the page Very Happy

Don't be scared btw, I've 'failed' 4 times now; missing by seconds once and twice by single digit minutes and one 'blow-up'.

Oh really? I dont think you have ever mentioned it before? Laughing
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikeslow wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
MTriton wrote:
Rooney wrote:

...and you keep reading it, loser Wink
Rooney

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
MTriton wrote:
Rooney wrote:

I don't want to talk about it Evil or Very Mad DNF due to faulty continental tyre at 94 mile! That is all !

Ok poor swim 67 mins out on bike and feeling great looking at a negative split and roughly 5:20-25. At 94 mile I was cruising feeling good and thinking about transition and how I'd run. Then bang.....Kevlar ripped out the tyre sidewall .....

I might have I might not have but I now know what's possible ...... Thinking of celtman next year so no sub 10 shout but then again is 4 weeks enough recovery time for unfinished business at outlaw?
mikeaver

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
mikeslow wrote:
Jorgan wrote:
MTriton wrote:
Rooney wrote:

...and you keep reading it, loser Wink

Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 70, 71, 72  Next
Page 71 of 72

Jump to: