Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Aaronb1985 Double Iron UK Race Report - With Pictures
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aaronb1985

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:56 am    Post subject: Aaronb1985 Double Iron UK Race Report - With Pictures Reply with quote

I might be slow on the course but I got my report up fast!

The pre-pre-race
So in May 2009, after 6 months in triathlon, 6 sprints and an Olympic in 2008, 1 week before my 1st ½ IM, and 3 months before my 1st IM, I decided to enter the Enduroman DIUK. Can’t be that hard can it I thought. Ah, the charm of the optimistic 23 year old.
2009 came and went, Ironman completed, Druid Ultra DNF’d on day 3 but still on a high, within 18 months I’d gone from unable to run 3k to Ironman, and running 70 miles in 3 days.
3 months of “rest” and putting on weight came and left, and it was time to commence on my Double Iron Journey

I entered Forestman, 6 weeks before the double and planned the usual training. Of course I chose to maximise cycle time and make efficiencies elsewhere (we all know where this is heading).

So in March I had my first swim of the year, and did 1 swim a month at most, running was going well. A 1 hour run, a 2 hour and an increasing length run up to 5 hours. Cycling ticked along nicely.
In late April I had a twinge in my knee after 4 weekends of 27+ mile runs so did the sensible thing and stopped running for a few weeks and switched focus to cycling.
At this point I won a free entry into chester marathon so took that up. 2 5k runs and a 7k run in the week before after 3 weeks off would be plenty. Sometime before that I did Tewkesbury Sprint to remind me why I prefer endurance events (I like the ability to breathe).
So I pootled round my 1st marathon in 3.50.
Did forestman in a PB off 13:59:59.95 went on a drip. Things going well Wink Noticed a swelling on my shin. The next day it went down so I thought I’d been bitten by a horsefly or something.

Rest of training was uneventful. I decided the week before to do a swim (1st since FM).

Pre-Race
Arrived, tent up, briefing, ate, panicked, slept 12-3.30.
Cried the moment I'd walked into the field. Met Rev Graham who askd if I'd puked yet. No i hadn't, and didn't throughout. Stomach of steel you see, pity my eyes don't work the same.
Got to the race site at 8.30 racked up. Lay down til 10

Race

Swim (4.8mile, 304 lengths)
11am and we are off, and I slotted into the back. Good job too as I would soon learn. They were fast. Well they weren’t. I was just going much slower than planned. I knew I’d missed out a big part of the training plan! Through 1st IM in 1.28.

After 6k shoulder really aching, so plodded on slowly to the end. Out in 3.15 down on 2.50-3 target. But out. Changed and on the bike.

You know you’ve been swimming a long time when goggles do that to your eyes…

Bike (224mile, 16 x14mile lap)
Set off aiming for a 14 hour split. Optimistic but aim high. So 52.5 minute lap average. Aiming for 45 mins and 2 minute foodstops as long as possible.
1st few laps, loving it, taking over people, smiling, chatting. Eating well, flapjacks, cocktail sausages, fridge raiders, special k mini bites, kelloggs special k mini bites, in pre packed aluminium foil packets of 250-300cals to drop in my bento box. Salt tab every 2 laps, 500ml water in aero and a new 500ml bike bottle each lap. Have I thanked my support crew yet?
Bit of rain, so put on my gilet to keep warm. 7pm and it’s Hi-Viz time. WTF! For some reason I was really downed by this, struck a blow to me. So next lap shook myself together.
Come 8.30 and 98 miles clocked. I wanted to do another lap before changing clothes and stopping for hot food, but Jen (Have I thanked my support crew yet?) talked sense into me and I came in. at the next lap it went dark and cold so I was relieved to be wearing leg warmers, fresh socks, gilet, etc. The next laps ticked down until I was at about 1am, and I had 4 laps to go. I’d stopped eating too much when biking and was eating a muller rice at each stop, having tea in my bike bottle and water in aero. Still loving it. At the 2.30-3.30 am lap I went from 50 minute laps to a 1 hour lap. I felt dizzy, had blurred vision, was wobbling across the road. The few laps before that when I’d stopped I felt dizzy, but had always been fine on the bike. I hadn’t realised you could get motion sickness cycling! So I decided to make it to the end of that lap and come in. In a came, wrapped in sleeping bag eating warm food in 3 layers of clothes I was shivering. In August. At this point I got in the bag and declared I was out. Thankfully Jen and Vic had gone to bed at this point. 20 minutes later Luke and Dan had dragged me back out. Dizziness gone, vision back, 3 laps to go. Livin the dream. Happiness – 10! (Have I thanked my support crew yet?). The last 3 laps were slow and my knees were hurting, about 1 hour a lap. Last lap I stopped at the right turn for cake from Mrs Mash (what a wonderful woman!).Lost some time on that lap but cheered me up a bit. So I came in just before 8am, after a 17 hour bike time. I dropped off the bike and broke down into tears. That had taken a lot out of me. I now had 14 hours to make the cutoff. It wasn’t possible I was telling myself. My knees were killing so I wouldn’t be running. It’d be a long walk and I might not make the cutoff, it was over. Jen and Vic (Have I thanked my support crew yet?) dragged me back to my tent, hugging me and wiping away my tears along the way. The next bit went like this.
“Get changed into your clothes, it’ll use different muscles”
“But my knees kill and I’m fecked, it’s over”
“Just give it a go”
“this isn’t a race, this is a survival punishment”
“get changed!”
So I went put on my ¾ lengths and my tri vest, and jen taped my feet and put on my socks and trainers whilst someone else wiped my face. (Have I thanked my support crew yet?)

Run (52mile double marathon, 42 1.24mile laps)
Pre race aim was to go under 32 so I had 11 hours to do that. But I didn’t care any more, I wanted it all to be over.
I set off anyway, and miraculously the sun shone and I walked the ups and ran the flats and downs. I was lapping each 2k in 12-13 mins, 50 minute 4 laps, then a 5 minute rest for a muller rice, suncream, and calf massage (Have I thanked my support crew yet?). I decided the 4 laps and a rest for under n hour was a good tactic and I was relatively flying, I got told I was 5th fastest runner. After 16 laps my knee was hurting. I decided to do 5 laps and come in after a marathon to see the physio. Through 1st mara in ~5:10. Bit of a wait at physio but got seen to, knee looser and off I went. Within a few laps it was tightening again. I decided to drop down to 3 laps and rest. Each lap was now taking 15 minutes. Still not too bad. After a while I went back to the physio. Worked again, on I shuffled. Carried on like this until 11 laps to go. By this point it was tightening again. I stopped each lap to check if physio was free, he was with 9 laps to go. I’d had the woman physio the past 2 times and it had helped, this time it was different. It didn’t help. 18k to walk with a limp, it was doable. I was trying to march the uphills and run less to minimise time lost. Throughout the course people had their support walking/shuffling with them. With 5 laps to go I needed mine. So Jen came with me (Have I thanked my support crew yet?) for a lap. I struggled that lap and one lap on my own. 3 laps to go. Dan came out with me (Have I thanked my support crew yet?). He sped me up a bit and I knew I’d get back with 4k left. Confirmed by the lovely half way marshalls. Except I get back to the finish/checkpoint timing mat and they announce 3 laps to go. I stood their, smile gone, pain worse. I couldn’t do it. I hate this. I spoke to Steve, they confirmed 3 laps. It was over. Dan said he’s run them all with me now. That lap was bad, worse for him or me I don’t know. I just bitched the entire way around. We got to the halfway marshall spoke to them, they confirmed this one should be my 2nd to last lap, so 1 walked down with me and Dan to fight my cause. These laps were eating up a lot of time, plus I had an extra lap to do. So I got back, limping, the other 2 went ahead to speak to Steve, announced over the tannoy that timing chip stood. So off I went for lap 42/42 or lap 42/43…
Dan still in tow, every competitor saying last lap with my response getting worse and sadder each time. Up the steps and into the woods. But then came the final lift, I got chased and told my team (Have I thanked my support crew yet?) had showed them my run splits and they agreed it was my last lap! Now I was confused. You are supposed to do the last lap in reverse, but I was already in the woods. So I was told to run to the marshall and turn around and run back down the steps. This was bad now my knee had locked and was limping, no shuffle left, body seizing, but about 1k left. Hugging rev G and Big Ted (the legends, both VFM triplers!), I crawled down the steps, just in time to see the lovely marshall, I thanked her and the 2 road marshalls. 5 minutes later I was going into the finish, no run, just a walk. I had made it. Stopped briefly to thank the lovely MrsMash and other TriTalkers. Crossed the line, Steve there to give me the medal I’d earned. Crew came to congratulate me, now my eyes were very dry so despite all the tears through the race, but I think there were tears from the crew (Have I thanked my support crew yet?)

Ready to be consoled

And Fed

Nearly at turnaround for the 30011th time

Post Race
Into the tent, struggling to change. I put a pair of trousers on, then got my socks, shoes put on for me. Got picked up and off I went. The journey was over. I was in pieces. I was never to go through this hell again.

Post-post race
I got fed, watered, clothes washed and treated like a king for 2 days at Vic and Luke’s house, then taken home. Then Jen and Dan came round to do my shopping. Shared a few laughs over pizza, it turned out I hadn’t dreamt a lot of the strange things I couldn’t be sure if I’d seen or not (sumo wrestlers, cowbell man In field, yoga at 4am, talk of wombles, reggae music)
Then I got taken to the hospital for X-rays. The “horsefly bite” from forestman had returned…
Suspected stress fracture.
Bone in one piece (now) but likely stress fractured recently (Chester marathon), then tendon held it together while the bone repaired. Poor tendon took a beating for 8 weeks. So time to rest it. Plenty of time for Jen to do a plan to strengthen the ligaments and tendons ready for the future Quintuple or doubles Very Happy Shocked . That might be after a year of getting a few more Ironman under my belt though.

Thank yous
I will now officially thank my crew!
Jen, Dan, Vic & Luke executed everything brilliantly. They sacrificed a week between them to get me to, through and recover from the race, and all said they loved it. How dressing your friend is fun I don’t know, they must have issues… They were there to wipe my tears, warm me, feed me, change me, motivate me, celebrate with me, and nurse me better. They are truly amazing. I now realise the best thing about this race is seeing how good these friends are to me. Love them all.

Tritalkers racing
Hell, these guys are awesome, from the freaks like TC who can actually race these things, to ScottG, Big Ted, Rev G who survive them with a good attitude. Slackos – to go through a DNF and then carry on supporting must be tough, that’s a win for you both.
Congrats to all to many to list. Apologies for missing people off.

Tritalkers supporting
Putt Putt, the mashes, too many to list…

The woman who kept on shouting come on smiler, the pain goes if you smile. You were mad!

Steve and Eddie. You are sick for running this. But in a wonderful way.

Food consumed From memory
20 muller rice
100 cocktail sausages
5 Packets Fridge Raiders
4 Mini peperami
5 Flapjacks
5 Brunch Bars
10 packets special k mini bites
~300g Jelly Beans
150g Haribo
1 Super Noodle To Go
2 Asda Mash potato with crouton pots
1 Penguin Cake Bar
16 Electrolyte Tablets
24l Water
2.5l Tea
2l Hot Blackcurrant Juice
6 Capri Sun
12 Innocent Squeezy Smoothies
2010-ChesterMara3:50|FM13:59:59|DIUK33:29|BW13:43
2011-GinPitMaras8.47|FM13.10|Outlaw12.40|HOTH|BW13.50
2012-Crawley12-54mi|Duk40-7:45|Enduro100-26.49|Outlaw12:57|TR24
2013-Gin Pit Maras|Lightning12Hr|FM|Outlaw|Steelman|ROF131Mi

Last edited by aaronb1985 on Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:01 am; edited 6 times in total
SJB

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good effort matey, you were looking good on the run and what do you mean we wern't fast in the swim Wink
Reverend Graham

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate, it was an honour to race with you, you have a good attitude to Enduro racing, keep it up, just cos your young don't think you've got nothing to offer, you have loads.
I'm sure I see you at another race, you may be in pain at the moment, but, you have the bug now !

JFT Graham

I'm a Double Ironman, me! no wait ! Triple Ironman !

I am the Reverend Graham, Commander of the Squirrel Army, third in line to the King of the Potato People !
veggieboy

Location: Wearing Hokas/Altras/Sketchers and Ashmei - looking good is more important than running fast

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report there

But even my 3 kids between them can't eat that many cocktail sausages without throwing up Very Happy

But I'm still not going to swim
p00key

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Cool Cool great report well done Cool
aaronb1985

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reverend Graham wrote:
Mate, it was an honour to race with you, you have a good attitude to Enduro racing, keep it up, just cos your young don't think you've got nothing to offer, you have loads.
I'm sure I see you at another race, you may be in pain at the moment, but, you have the bug now !

JFT Graham

Likewise with you. I'm just glad I was racing so never got to see you at base camp in the pain that people have described to me. your mental toughness is on a whole new level.
Yes I will be back. Looking at how to strengthen the tendons in my knees and ankles now. I will be there in June for something, and if the talk of bringing Lichfield back pans out I will definitely be there!

veggieboy wrote:
Great report there

But even my 3 kids between them can't eat that many cocktail sausages without throwing up Very Happy

I think that's what made me cry so much. It gets emotional when those sausages don't want to be eaten any more... Smile
Bainsy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done mate - good report and fantastic racing

2006 IM CH, 2007 IMF, 2008 Norseman, 2009 100 hour Raid Pyrenees, 2010 Marazion, 2011 AXtri, 2012 - White Horse Challenge, Tonbridge, 2nd baby, 2013 - Aberdeen to Southampton bike, 2014 Gauntlet

2015 ?
Mrs Mash

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron, for a mere youngster, you showed such courage, tenacity and sheer bl00dy detemination!

I didn't know how you had wanted to DNF or how low you had gone so even more respect to you for overcoming that.

You are just FAB and I was positively thrilled to see you finish.

Hug

Mich
X
Reverend Graham

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aaron, some of us are meeting up at the Vitruvian on the 4th Sept, if your not doing owt that weekend come and join us, you have to wear your intimidation Tshirt for the whole weekend Very Happy Very Happy

JFT Graham

I'm a Double Ironman, me! no wait ! Triple Ironman !

I am the Reverend Graham, Commander of the Squirrel Army, third in line to the King of the Potato People !
aaronb1985

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs Mash wrote:
Aaron, for a mere youngster, you showed such courage, tenacity and sheer bl00dy detemination!

I didn't know how you had wanted to DNF or how low you had gone so even more respect to you for overcoming that.

You are just FAB and I was positively thrilled to see you finish.

Hug

Mich
X

Thank you!
Your lemon drizzle cake was wonderful too, anyone who bakes cakes that good and stays awake for 2 days must be an angel!
One day I will marshall at a race you're doing and attempt to repay the favour

Reverend Graham wrote:
Aaron, some of us are meeting up at the Vitruvian on the 4th Sept, if your not doing owt that weekend come and join us, you have to wear your intimidation Tshirt for the whole weekend Very Happy Very Happy

JFT Graham

I'll see, at the moment I have to figure out when my next rest will be. Edinburgh next week, then Big Woody. Then the 6th is my sisters birthday and my friend has suggested a post double party that weekend too. But I would love to meet up again in a non race panic
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-a-aaron-tastic

heal strong for the Big Woody or AquaBike Cool

YOU ARE A DOUBLE IRONMAN Party
88IM+11DIM+D+3Q+3T=144IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-17
aaronb1985

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After BW my season is over. Then to a long off season of strengthening. The main thing people said to me was how the top guys look thin and have smallish muscles but the muscle etc around the joints are immense. That's what I need to get to be able to keep going
Poet

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report aaronb1985 Very Happy

Really good read! I don't know how you manage those mash potato pots, though :yuck:

I've been waiting for these to trickle through after following the thread - so, the DIUK lot are either doing The Vit, or TBW, right?

Is Deke doing his Vit/Helvellyn weekender again Wink
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet wrote:
Is Deke doing his Vit/Helvellyn weekender again Wink
good question and well reminded, i need to kick that showoff for out-showing-me-off last yr Laughing
88IM+11DIM+D+3Q+3T=144IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-17
aaronb1985

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poet wrote:
Great report aaronb1985 Very Happy

Really good read! I don't know how you manage those mash potato pots, though :yuck:

I've been waiting for these to trickle through after following the thread - so, the DIUK lot are either doing The Vit, or TBW, right?

Well they went down well during the race. I had one left so thought I'd have it last night. It was disgusting. TBH my stomach stood up to the race really well but today isn't feeling great. Not sure if that's side effect or not.

Yea it's all about TBW! if recovery works
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: