Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
RiRi's Single Iron Race Report
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RiRi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:25 pm    Post subject: RiRi's Single Iron Race Report Reply with quote

My First Iron Distance Race Report by Marie ‘RiRi’ Page

There’s a short version and a long version, but it was a long race, even though it was ‘only’ a single iron, so you’re getting the long version!
Two years ago, my dear husband, Big Ted, said after a quantity of alcohol, that he wanted to do an ironman one day. I started googling, and found that there was a local sprint tri about eight weeks away. A bit more googling and I found Barracuda Tri Club, saw that they had a club duathlon less than a week later, and said that I was going to do it. I knew that the sensible thing to do would be to lose the extra four stone of padding I was lugging around first, but I was too impatient. I’m glad I didn’t wait because it still hasn’t gone anywhere!

Now, the idea of triathlon wasn’t completely new to us. Ted has been cycling on and off since his teens, and we went through a big mountain biking spell from about 1995 to 1998. Then in 2002, a few months after getting married, we both fell asleep two nights in a row at 7pm in front of the TV. So on the Sunday I dragged our mountain bikes out of the shed, even though I HATE sheds and spiders, and insisted that we go for a ride. We cycled seven miles to the nearest village, emptied the village shop of pies and chocolate, and cycled back. Neither of us could walk the next day.

One thing very quickly led to another, and within a few weeks we both had Polar HRMs and I had gained a road bike. Ted already had one from his teens, so coped with this for at least a couple of months before buying something shinier. We joined the local gym and started swimming regularly, went back to running, which we had both done a bit of back in 1998 – 1999, and started cycling regularly. A triathlon was at the back of both our minds, and we started buying Tri220 to go with Cycling Weekly. Then we moved house, had no gym to go to, and so just carried on doing quite a lot of cycling. I then got pregnant for the first time, so didn’t run for nearly two and a half years, but I cycled until about 30 weeks in both pregnancies. We both continued to cycle after the girls arrived, and I was fitted up for my lovely pink Look 555 two weeks after giving birth to our second daughter.

So, going back to two years ago, I went to the local club duathlon, which involved me having to dig a bike roof rack out of the garage and fit it to the car, and use a step ladder, to be able to get my bike on the roof. I was absolutely determined to do this thing! I finished 15 minutes after everyone else, to cheering and clapping, and went home and entered my first sprint tri.

That was in October 2008. I did the sprint tri and went on my own, having no idea what I was doing, although I did lurk on TriTalk for a while, before finally joining in January 2009. Ted turned up with the kids when I was on the bike, which was an out-and-back, so they got to see me twice, then three times on the run. I burst out crying when I finished, and there was never any doubt that I would be back for more.
Still fairly ignorant about it all, I decided that I was going to do a half-ironman the next year, 2009, followed by a full ironman in 2010, because our younger daughter would have started preschool by then, giving me training time. Of course, life is never predictable. In my ignorance I entered IMUK70.3, which in hindsight, I would never have chosen for my first half, not understanding how it all worked at that point. Then I had an unexpectedly early return to work, quickly followed by two doses of flu, and both kids getting chicken pox, straight after each other, with the associated lack of sleep. This meant that I arrived at Wimbleball having cycled no further than 44 miles in one go, and those who’ve met me know that I’m not built for climbing. I DNFed Wimbleball, thanks to missing the bike cutoff, but still had a really fun year, finishing six sprint tris and two Olympics. I was last but one on three occasions, but never actually last, despite missing the exit from the dual carriageway at Ripon and doing an extra eight miles on the bike, which still makes me wonder if there is any truth in the rumour that race organisers pay someone to come last.

At some point over the winter of 2009/2010 some ‘single iron’ places were offered up at the madness that is Double/Triple Iron UK. Since I was going there with Big Ted anyway, while he did the Double, and the bike course didn’t seem to be Wimbleballesque, I entered.
I did what training I could to prepare for this. I built up my cycling doing one long ride a month - always with Ted, which obviously made all the rides that much nicer - until I did my first century in April. In order to go out cycling for seven and a half hours, two babysitters are required, and these things have to be planned in advance. Twenty miles into my first century my tri shorts started chafing. They got so bad that I cried from about 40 to 70 miles. The only thing that made me finish that ride was the knowledge that I may not get another opportunity to do a century. I was a very proud bunny when I did finish, though.

I had a good running patch, for me, in the winter, going up to ten miles, from six miles, but shin and ankle issues, not to mention a crash on my bike at my first ever time trial – leading to whiplash injuries - meant that I pretty much didn’t run after January.

Swimming-wise, although I rarely managed to fit in the two sessions a week I had been doing, I still knocked out seven iron distance swims, always within a minute of 1hr 30, so I wasn’t worried about the swim.
I went back to Wimbleball this year knowing that I could do the distance comfortably inside the cutoff where I live, but DNFed after one lap of the bike course this time, knowing that I wasn’t going to negative split it.
Desperate to do a half, I turned to the TriTalkers for help, and Lapsed Ringer suggested the Cowman, less than two weeks away. I entered Big Ted and myself that day.

The Cowman was absolutely fantastic. Brilliant, well-organised event, and I actually finished, in 7hrs 43mins. Last but one again... and beaten by a guy carrying a fridge, but I didn’t care. I’d done a half! Met TimmyG on the bike, and then ran with him on the run for a while, before he disappeared into the distance, and he really helped make the run more manageable. Ted ran the last lap with me, which was obviously the icing on the cake. (Yes, he had already finished and recovered by this point!) Met some other TTers for the first time that day too, including Dezzy Boy who slowed down for a chat before PBing, and the brilliant Slackos, whose cheering spurred me on no end.

Three weeks after Cowman, I cycled 112 miles with Ted, deliberately starting at 3.30pm to get a rough idea what it was going to be like at Enduroman. I didn’t enjoy it, I was freaked out by ‘night-creatures’, so thank God I had a remarkably chirpy Ted with me, but I was happy to have done it. It took me 8hrs 31 minutes, so I thought I’d be able to get that down to 8hours with race mojo.

I hadn’t done anywhere near the training I would have liked to, in fact I averaged slightly less than four hours a week, for the last sixteen, twenty and twenty six weeks, but I’d fitted in what I could, and done the sessions I felt I had to do – the full bike distance, and a half iron distance race, so I was ready!

Then, suddenly, Enduroman weekend was here!

In the week before the race, my focus was off me, and very much on Big Ted, who had had a last-minute change from the Double to the Triple. I say this with no resentment, in fact I can highly recommend it. When you are only focussing on the numbers, a single IM seems trivial compared with a triple, so you don’t dwell on it so much.

The night before the race was the Pasta Party, and I felt completely out of my depth, in a room full of double and triple ironmen, not to mention Steve and Eddie. But I felt much more relaxed after the Rev had showed me his nipple rings and Sally had discussed what Ted’s urine should look like during the triple. I got to meet several TTers at this point: the Slackos, who I’d previously only high fived at the Cowman, the Mashes, PSF, T_C who I’d met very briefly at the Big Woody last year, Repoman who was wearing a ‘Living the Dream’ T-shirt, and Knightlancer who turned out not to be the Dark Lord himself, but actually a really nice guy (sorry!) I did feel like I shouldn’t be there because I was ‘only’ doing a single, but found that everyone was really nice and supportive, and treated me like it was a big deal, which of course it is to me!

Owing to the unique nature of Enduroman, my swim started at 2.30pm. Ted got up at 3.30am to get ready for his 6.00am start, but I went back to sleep until 8.30, which was very strange, but rather lovely, for a race day. Our support crew, Ted’s brother Russell, collected me from the hotel at about 9.30 and I was able to see the last mile and a half or so of Ted’s swim, and cry my eyes out when he finished it, wave him off on the bike, and help put the tent up and get all the gear inside it. Then I had to rush to rack my bike and chuck my T1 kit into a binliner, turning round to Russell and saying something along the lines of ‘I’m doing a ****ing ironman and I don’t know what I’m supposed to be doing!’

He told me that I needed to swim, cycle and run, and that it’d be ok. Then he said that I could always tell Steve that I couldn’t be bothered, after all! Sally was much more comforting. I don’t actually remember what she said, she just has a gift for saying the right thing at the right time, which she did all weekend, to all of us. (Thanks Sal.)

Before I knew it, my name was being shouted as I walked down the side of the pool to my lane, number one, the same as Ted, which I liked. I was lucky that there were only three of us in our lane, being the only single starters. I knew Bob (DRB) was a much faster swimmer than me, and the other guy, Richard said that he was about a 1hr30 swimmer, same as me. Swim went fine, lost count three times, and I was only doing 152 laps not 456! But luckily the last time I lost count was the good way, because the float came down in front of me to say ‘two left’ when I thought I had four, so I was very happy. I finished about three strokes after Richard, Bob having finished ages before. I climbed out of the pool as quickly as I could, keen to get over the timing mat as fast as possible – I’d even left my T1 gear in the outside tent, rather than the changing room to keep my swim time down – how sad!

Turns out there wasn’t a ‘door’ as such to the change tent, so I had great fun squirming into cycling gear whilst holding a towel around myself. Managed to slap half a tub of Vaseline on too, then Lynn came to the rescue and helped me to finish dressing. Then I was off on the bike!

Having been hungry before the swim start, by now I was starving, so two Power Bar Ride bars had gone within twenty minutes, and as I got back after the first lap, in just under an hour which I’d been aiming for, Russell had a bag full of sandwiches from Tesco. I inhaled one and set off again. Another Power bar, and lap two’s done. I was aware that I was losing time by stopping every fourteen miles, so I wanted to go straight through between laps three and four, but it was vis-up time so I had to pull in for a quick pit stop. I never really found my bike legs, but I ploughed on, managing to go straight through between laps five and six. After lap six I told Russell that I didn’t think I was going to make the swim + bike cutoff of 10.5 hours. He said that I’d been doing one hour laps at the start and couldn’t I just go back to that? I thumped him and screamed ‘Don’t you think I’m trying?!’ before setting off for lap seven. This was the worst point of the race for me. I spent this whole lap trying to convince myself that I could do this, I could finish, and at the same time, that it was ok to get off now, I’d had a good go, I was just going to miss another bike cutoff. Who was I kidding? What made me think I could do an ironman? I thought that Steve would probably let me keep going even if I missed the cutoff, but I knew I couldn’t run fast enough to finish in seventeen hours if I took longer on the bike. Knightlancer pulled alongside me for a while singing the praises of the wonderful Mrs Mash and her lemon drizzle cake, telling me that I should stop in, clearly realising that I need cheering up. I told him that I thought I was going to miss the bike cutoff, so he told me not to stop for cake after all but to ‘put the hammer down’ instead. I bleated something about ‘trying to’ and thanked him for his support, then let the poor guy escape as he’d just lost about ten minutes with me!

I arrived back at the end of lap seven to find Russell insisting that I put on another layer (thanks Russ) but I was adamant that Steve was going to stop me going out for another lap as I haven’t got time to do one. Steve didn’t appear, and suddenly I’d been slapped on the back and pushed off for another lap. I cried like a baby for five minutes, because I didn’t want to carry on, but I wasn’t going to admit it. Someone else needed to stop me, but they didn’t! Then suddenly I was on a high as I realised that I was on the last lap of the bike and that I was going to make it to the run!

Got back in at the end of the bike to have Steve himself take my bike away and deal with it, and also tell me that the cutoff was 12.5 hours, not 10.5. I couldn’t believe I’d been so stupid, but it was actually a good thing I hadn’t realised, because I may have taken it easier on the bike, leaving less time for the run. I went back to our tent to change into my run gear, managing to put my top on inside out in the dark, which I didn’t realise until after. I had 5hrs54mins left at this point. I’d never done a marathon, and my only half marathon had taken me 3hrs04minutes, so my best guess was seven hours. I didn’t mention this to Steve. I figured if he wouldn’t let me continue after seventeen hours, I’d run around Lichfield with my Garmin until I’d done the distance, although I really hoped it wouldn’t come to that! The only thing that was going to stop me doing this was an injury which meant I couldn’t actually walk. I stuck to T_C’s run downhill, walk uphill pretty well. I found the woods really creepy on my own in the dark, and I’m sure I saw a white owl flying in the woods on lap two, and by lap three of twenty-one I was so tired I really wanted to lie down on the grass and go to sleep. I told Russell, and somehow ended up knocking back half a can of Red Bull. Wow – it really does give you wings! That turned out to be my nutrition for the run – six cans of Red Bull! I’ve never been able to eat when running, and knew this was going to be something of an issue, but I figured if I got this far, I’d get through somehow – I’ve tramped up and down Scottish mountains all day with a rucksack on, so I guessed I could walk if I had to. I went okay until about lap twelve or so, then a horrible pain appeared behind my right knee. It got worse and worse until I limped in after lap sixteen and Steve asked if I wanted to see the physio. I said that I didn’t have time, and he realised that I had exactly one hour left. I thought I had five laps to go, but I was told that I had four. I was a bit confused, and then Steve said that if I ran the last four laps I would finish. I wasn’t sure if he meant that I would finish inside the cutoff, or that I would get an official finish, even if I went over, just so long as I ran. My knee was really hurting, but Amberetta appeared from out of nowhere and ran the next lap with me. Somehow, she got a fourteen minute lap out of me, when all my others had been eighteen to twenty minutes! And she did it without appearing at all bossy, she just didn’t really give me any choice – thank you Amberetta , you helped so much. A lot of people got me through the next few laps – Amberetta, obviously, even though she was just starting off on her own run, with which she was going to win the Double(!), T_C and Knightlancer who both looked like they were dashing around a 5km, but still had time to encourage me every time they saw me, and the lovely marshals at the entrance to the Blair Witch woods, who encouraged me by name on every lap. A lovely moment for me was running, and I use the word loosely, down the hill at the side of the road, to see Ted and another Tripler go up the hill side-by-side on their bikes. Ted shouted to me that I was going to be an ironman, which obviously gave me a buzz, then I heard him tell the other cyclist that I was his wife, and he sounded as proud of me as I am of him.

I got through the next four laps, to be told that I had to do another one. I wasn’t surprised because of what had happened earlier, but Russell insisted on doing this lap with me, because, as he admitted later, he wasn’t sure what I might do when told I had another lap to go! I think I managed to run to the finish but it’s all a bit of a blur. I remember lots of cheering, and I know I cried, then I was wearing a medal, and it was all over.

Total time: 17hrs 33mins 52seconds.

I know this was technically outside the cutoff, and it does bother me more than I thought it would, because I’ve been telling myself that it wasn’t like a ‘normal’ iron distance race, since I had to go through the night, and I would say that I lost about twenty minutes because of unnecessary stops on the bike which I made simply because I could (lesson learned for next time!), and another twenty because of the dark. But those thirty four minutes are going to nag at me until the next time, when I WILL finish inside the cutoff.

I’m still going to wear my finisher’s t-shirt with pride though!

There are far too many people to thank on here, and I know I’d forget someone, having left an important part of my brain somewhere in a wood in Lichfield, although I hope I’ve already thanked most of them personally. So I‘ll just say ‘thank you’ to everyone who helped me to achieve this, you’re all brilliant, you are. See you next time!
SJB

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations RiRi- you should be very proud of that peformance. Due to the format/times etc it is a tough ironman to do in my opinion. Very well done
McC

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report RiRi. You'll be doing the Triple next year then? Laughing Wink
Bainsy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant - how you two managed to both do IM training with the kids is beyond me - 2 weeks into our first baby and me and the mrs are wondering how we will ever train again !!

WELL DONE

2006 IM CH, 2007 IMF, 2008 Norseman, 2009 100 hour Raid Pyrenees, 2010 Marazion, 2011 AXtri, 2012 - White Horse Challenge, Tonbridge, 2nd baby, 2013 - Aberdeen to Southampton bike, 2014 Gauntlet

2015 ?
LapsedRinger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So cool Cool

Well done!
Sue

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great report n great achievement
very well done Very Happy
youve strong determination, to do a du at such short notice, to carry on when in pain, to finish
funny both yourself n BT didnt do many hrs of training each week but both achieved a great challenge
think this shows its also what is in the mind not just what has gone into the body
excellent work, and you will go under 17hrs next time Wink

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congratulations RiRi! And 6cans of RedBull - that deserves some sort of award!
fimm

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was good to meet you in Lichfield. It must have been so hard to do that run, mostly on your own. Much respect from me, very well done.
superdaz

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inspirational stuff. I'm so impressed you both managed to do this and juggle your family life. We are expecting our second in November and I rather suspect this may put a hold on this endurance stuff for me...

Well done for running in the dark. I was lucky enough to have my run over before nightfall, I imagine those woods would get pretty spooky.
EnduranceUK.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW! - What a really great race report.

Love the casual nature of the build up - and the RESULT.

You WILL get that 33 mins and 52 seconds - but it doesn't really matter.

And - to top it all you supported your Triple Iron MAN - Big Ted (that must count for a couple of hour at least! Very Happy Very Happy )

RiRi - you is an IRON WOMAN!

2014 Blog http://www.briannew.com

"The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter."
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: RiRi's Single Iron Race Report Reply with quote

Marie Page - you are an Iron Laydeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee Party Very Happy Cool

so chuffed for you Very Happy

I think the funniest thing I ever read on TT was your post probably in response to some whinger who said they couldnt do it, and saying "This is me" <--------- pointing to your avatar Laughing

RiRi wrote:
There’s a short version and a long version
Wheres the other 4 pages Wink
RiRi wrote:
,I dragged our mountain bikes out of the shed, even though I HATE sheds and spiders, and insisted that we go for a ride. We cycled seven miles to the nearest village, emptied the village shop of pies and chocolate, and cycled back. Neither of us could walk the next day.
never ever disclose your weaknesses on TT. we might throw some sheds at you. oh, and some spiders. but not pies.
RiRi wrote:
I was last but one on three occasions, but never actually last, despite missing the exit from the dual carriageway at Ripon and doing an extra eight miles on the bike, which still makes me wonder if there is any truth in the rumour that race organisers pay someone to come last.
I think you have uncovered the Race Directors anti-feel-like-A-numpT conspiracy Smile
RiRi wrote:
In the week before the race, my focus was off me, and very much on Big Ted, who had had a last-minute change from the Double to the Triple. I say this with no resentment, in fact I can highly recommend it. When you are only focussing on the numbers, a single IM seems trivial compared with a triple, so you don’t dwell on it so much.
Same here. When i went to kip, I was still gobsmacked at what the triplers were going to attempt at 6am that morning rather than worrying too much bout my race. And being v pleased I wasnt one of em, altho I did ask Steve if there were any Tripler no-shows at Registration. If theres any race that could scare you off its the first UK Triple, but amazingly all 24 showed up. Probably an 100% unprecedented turn out for any race ever Question
RiRi wrote:
Knightlancer who turned out not to be the Dark Lord himself, but actually a really nice guy (sorry!)
right, every time KL is 'witty' aka mildly cutting to somebody, we need to quote this to show him up for the big mouthed but softie he really is Cool
RiRi wrote:
Then I had to rush to rack my bike and chuck my T1 kit into a binliner, turning round to Russell and saying something along the lines of ‘I’m doing a ****ing ironman and I don’t know what I’m supposed to be doing!’
I reckon the spiders are scared of you Razz
RiRi wrote:
Swim went fine, lost count three times, and I was only doing 152 laps not 456!
I cannot believe you even tried to keep count. Wow. Think thats more impressive than the IM Exclamation
RiRi wrote:
Russell had a bag full of sandwiches from Tesco. I inhaled one and set off again. Red Bull. Wow – it really does give you wings! That turned out to be my nutrition for the run – six cans of Red Bull!
You do know that flying is cheating dont you Wink
RiRi wrote:
. My knee was really hurting, but Amberetta appeared from out of nowhere and ran the next lap with me. Somehow, she got a fourteen minute lap out of me, when all my others had been eighteen to twenty minutes! And she did it without appearing at all bossy, she just didn’t really give me any choice – thank you Amberetta , you helped so much.
It's called peer pressure Wink
Look forward to seeing you at and Mr.RiRi at The Big or Little Woody, Aqua bike or Tri, whatever you choose Cool
85IM+11DIM+D+2Q+2T=133IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-16

Last edited by Toyota_Crown on Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
EnduranceUK.com

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Added to the EPIC race report thread!
http://www.tritalk.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?p=1106753&highlight=#1106753

2014 Blog http://www.briannew.com

"The difficulties of life are intended to make us better, not bitter."
knightlancer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely stuff. You were the only reason I needed sunglasses in that race - it was great to see your triumphant last lap. Both times. I've never heard the word 'B@stards' pronounced with such invective as on the second time around. Great work - we all willed you round and are delighted you did it.
FatPom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one RiRi, way to tough it out, and congratulations Cool
dr dre

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice one RiRi - a great result for you Ironlady Cool
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: