Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Big Foots Rather late Triple IM Report

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Big Foot

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:22 am    Post subject: Big Foots Rather late Triple IM Report Reply with quote

Better late than never its the triple report I promised to write

Pre Race

First mistake signing up for the triple; second mistake reading the training updates on Tritalk where those doing the double where doing considerably more than me; third mistake letting it be known that I was doing the triple and the associated loss of face if I were to pull out before the race. Confidence was not very high for completion but I convinced myself I could complete the swim and possibly wing the bike so decided to go for it. For those who are married, have kids, work with long commute donít be put off by the big training numbers of some as my maximum week of training was 15:58hrs and that included Forestman . My longest swim was 5k, longest bike 124 miles and run 14.4 miles.

Met up with a lot of TTíers during registration and it was good to put faces to names. The pasta party was a bit short on the pasta bit and for a larger athlete like myself I was left needing more. With a 3:30 wake up call and a poor nights sleep I was not feeling to alive on the Saturday morning

The Swim - 11,400m

With more swimming training than I did for the Double I felt confident I could finish this and knew that the key would be eating and drinking plenty for me. With 4 in a lane it was not too crowded and we were around the same pace so had a good steady first 200 laps then things started to go wrong in that an old neck/shoulder injury started to cause problems affecting pace and turn arounds. Just after the 300 lap mark I was getting really fed up with the constant pain and to cap it all I developed and acute pain in my left knee when pushing off the wall forcing me to push off with only the other leg. About 40 laps later the right knee developed the same problem which left me unable to push off the wall all together. I suspect that the knee problem was due to lack of pool training as I donít like these chemical baths and did most of my training in open water. I now had serious doubts about completing not only the swim but stood no chance on the bike leg as I thought that my knees where shot. Not sure how I managed to complete the swim as this was a very miserable experience and I was half an hour down on my expected time.

The Bike - 336 miles

I was extremely cautious setting off on the bike due to the knee problems but soon realised that providing I didnít twist my knee in any way I could keep going, though made that mistake a few times which hurt like **** . I made good steady progress through out Saturday but made sure I ate and drank plenty as Iíve made that mistake before. Started to enjoy the bike and now felt part of a race again although I didnít know where I was in relation to the rest of the field and it became more confusing as the double cyclists joined the merry go round. The call from Steve to put on the night gear came round very quickly. During the Double in 2008 I had 1 lap in the dark and it was extremely scary as I had totally inadequate lighting. I prepared and tested properly the lights this time around but during the night cycle the biggest problem was being blinded by the other cyclists.. Did appreciate the nutter ringing the cow bell throughout the night and I bet his arm was sore the next day.

On one of my scheduled stops during the night I did though fall asleep for a few minutes in a chair but luckily fell off and powered by Red Bull and a banana my next 2 laps were very good. I was very glad I did a 2 hour night time bike ride in training as not only did it prove my lighting but also woke me up to how cold it would be on the bike at night and I was glad I put my full winter bike kit on. The morning came and ironically at the top of the bike loop we overlapped with the route of a sprint triathlon. Couldnít resist racing some of them and it felt really strange switching to sprint mode for a while after 200 plus miles in the legs being able to get the speed up. The 336 mile point arrived and I was very glad to get off the bike after in 23:52 hrs, just a little 78 mile something run to go!!

The Run - 78 miles

63 laps on a not so flat course and with running not a strong discipline, Iím Clydesdale build not whippet, this was going to be a real challenge. My strategy was to walk the up slopes and run/jog the rest, take on food regularly and never stop for more than 5 minutes. After a wobbly start I managed steady progress and it was good to speak to so many racers after the very lonely night on the road. The day dragged by but the superb marshals and support all round provided the encouragement to keep going. Developed some interesting strategies for getting up the Devils Staircase but luckily didnít resort to crawling. I was originally targeting about a 1:00am finish on the Monday morning but very soon realised this was way out and I would be continuing throughout the night. This night run drained the spirit and looking at some of the other it was doing the same to them but we all continued on. With dawn unexpectedly several runners seemed to pick up the pace and I was surprised to see so many of triplers still out on the course. This was the first time I started to think of where I was in relation to the others and not to be left behind I started to up the pace to . I did run one of the later laps with the legend Eddie where I did learn that only one person had finished so far which surprised me. The nearer I got to finish the faster I was running and it turned out that my last two laps were my quickest. My last lap in keeping with those ahead of me was run in reverse which was nice way of saying goodbye and thanks to the other competitors and marshals. After the high fiving on the finishing straight on the finish line I was congratulated by Steve, received the medal and finishers shirt and was in a bit of a daze as it was hard to believe Iím an IM/IM/IM.

On learning I was 8th and had finished ahead of the original 52hr deadline I was even more delighted as Iíve never been placed in the top 10 before. I made it back to the hotel in time for breakfast but didnít get to eat anything as I was too busy talking. Grabbed a bit of kip, slept through my 11:45am alarm and was woken by the cleaners. Struggled to get out of bed but was it worth it. Not surprisingly Iíve already signed up for another Enduroman event next year and for those that know me Iím sure you have already worked out which one..

Big thanks need to go to Steve and Eddie for putting on another fantastic race; the marshals and supporters who always greeted you with encouragement and my fellow competitors who helped in making the race what it was. Hope to meet up with a lot of you on the 16th October.
2016 C to C, ONER, Enduroman 100, ????
2 scheds

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Big Foot - that's a mind boglingly long race!!

Congrats! W00t

Also good to see you can do it off a (reasonably) sane amount of training time... hmmmmm.. no must resist......

Very Happy
Badger
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant stuff, especially doing the race without knees. Wierd Face You're doing the deca, aren't you? Shocked Very Happy
Toyota_Crown

Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big foot tastic Cool
85IM+11DIM+D+2Q+2T=133IM
UKIMGrandSlam04-16
Reverend Graham

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mate, it was great to race with you again.

JFT Graham

I'm a Double Ironman, me! no wait ! Triple Ironman !

I am the Reverend Graham, Commander of the Squirrel Army, third in line to the King of the Potato People !
Big Foot

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badger - Yes I'm doing the Deca so Rev G it looks as if we are in racing together again, thats if I get off my backside and do some proper training.
2016 C to C, ONER, Enduroman 100, ????
putt putt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done. Good to meet you there. P
Triple IM 09, DecaIron (137h- 4th) 09, GUCR 10, 2.46 Mara Apr 11, 9.38 Roth 11, 9.57 IMUK 11 (Q Kona). 2012 - 5th AG nat dua, 9.27 TBW (1st). 2013 Tampa Dble (24.13 - 3rd), Oct Mara 2.49 (1st) 2014 Gin Pit 2.58 (CR)/3.15, AG Gold GB Duo March15 (50-54)
knightlancer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for keeping you talking when you were trying to finally get some food into you!

Great report, great effort - well done again.
SJB

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done and congrats. Didn't really get to speak to you during the race but as I'm in the Deca we will have plenty of time next year Laughing

Amazing that you can do these events on such little training. Does get me thinking
Rob249

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well done!! triple just seems absolutely bonkers!!!!
Sue

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

great race to get into the top 10 with Wink
excellent work, well done

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was great to meet and race with you. Your run impressed me particularly - you didnt seem to be enjoting it much but you kept pushing on harder (and faster) than a lot of us through the night in particular.

And another thing - its your fault that my foot is still b*ggerd - you said i could do the triple on the training i had done and i believed you....

See you at the deca...

Leave all this misery behind"
Lainey

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report and fantastic achievement. Well done!
shazmegali

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're a looney. Fact. Cant believe you've gone in both feet for teh deca.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: