Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Cobbie's Ö Till Ö Report - How mad?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message

Joined: 02 Aug 2005
Posts: 7447
Location: Chester

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:40 pm    Post subject: Cobbie's Ö Till Ö Report - How mad? Reply with quote

Ö TILL Ö - 2010

A simple concept – teams of two run and swim, continuously, during the hours of daylight, from the northern end of the Stockholm archipelago to the south, encompassing 22 islands from Sandhamm to Üto.
Total distance is over 66km; 57km running and 9.3km swimming

Detailed route maps are included in the text, higher resolution images and precise stage-by-stage distances are on the race website

In the beginning...
I first heard about the race around Christmas 2008, just after the first running of the event that followed multisport rather than adventure racing principles – previously teams needed buoyancy aids and additional safety equipment and barely anybody finished. Those who know me won’t be surprised to learn that I wanted to do it as soon as I read about it, as it ticked so many of my race preferences – end-to-end, scenic, remote, off-road, adventurous in principle and largely unsupported.
I was already signed up for Norseman 2009 but this immediately jumped to the top of my wish list for 2010...if I could find a partner. I started asking around at the Chester Tri Christmas bash that year and a couple of people seemed interested, with Dan agreeing to partner me after remarkably little persuasion. Sadly, he then picked up a leg injury that prevented him from running for much of the year and so reluctantly he pulled out in time for me to search elsewhere before the entries opened. I had no doubt where to head first as Dave Copland (Spike) had expressed an interest and he replied straight away that yes, he would join up with what soon became “Team Spibe Cobke”.

Training & Kit
For those who are interested read on, or skip to the race report itself.

This event requires fairly unusual kit and if I’m honest, I never really felt comfortable when testing it in Chester – there’s no doubt I got a lot of strange looks diving into the river with my running shoes on and running down the river bank in wetsuit and swim hat!
It's worth bearing in mind that flotation aids up to 1m long are allowed - a Finnish mixed team propelled themselves on lilos rather than swim and did very well. For me this was never an option, the whole point seemed to be to do it as a run/swim event.

Shoes – This was the hardest choice to make. The race winner from 2008 & 2009, Jonas Colting, was very helpful when I e-mailed him and suggested a lightweight racing flat with a decent patterned sole, such as the Saucony A2. This is what I used for the race, despite the lack of cushioning. It was generally secure on the many varied surfaces, very light and low profile/drag when swimming & fitted well. I did, however, procrastinate somewhat over whether to use my Salomon Speedcross fell shoes which are heavier but also low profile and much better cushioned. Both types of shoe were popular with competitors.
Socks – One of my main worries was blisters from salt water chaffing so I decided very early on to use compression socks since they would not slip or rub against my skin. These worked a dream, never giving me a moment of trouble. I went with the Asics variety, which have softer material than most around the foot for a little comfort.
Compression – Calf guards outside the socks helped with streamlining in the swims and protected against brambles etc on the wooded run sections
Shorts – I used swim shorts rather than tri shorts as fewer seams
Base layer – Spike and I both used Tess long sleeve ‘meaglight’ base layers which are very tight fitting and sheer, again helping with streamlining for forearms. This is one item that I would definitely change in future; ideally for a tight fitting merino wool top, perhaps with a lycra blend if one exists (my pure merino tops are all too baggy). I did get quite cold towards the end.
Wetsuit – I had my Snugg cut down to knee and elbow length. Running in a full length wetsuit you would overheat and it’s very restrictive around the knees. Getting full length arms back on when wet is also very difficult. One word of caution, mine ended up too short as although I measured it carefully, once chopped the reduced friction between suit and skin meant it effectively shrank by 2 or 3 inches more than expected, meaning it was somewhat tight around the crutch ( a problem suffered by many). I think it best to cut just below the elbows and knees and that should leave the length about right when worn.
Neoprene gloves – I used BlueSeventy webbed gloves on the basis that they would help keep my hands warm whilst being reasonably tight fitting for swimming and providing additional grip for slippery swim exits. They worked well but looking at other teams, hand paddles predominated at the top end of the field, so clearly seen as a performance aid rather than my approach of predominantly aiming to keep warm and help with grip when exiting the swims.
Bumbag – I bought the Inov8 bumbag with horizontal bladder; it worked well and proved easy enough to refill during the race – however, the main belt clip partially broke during the race and the retaining clip for the drinking hose came adrift once (Spike’s also came loose). I also needed to punch a few holes in the bottom so that the water drained out. It worked OK but I might try swimming in a small camelback if I were to race again as this seemed to work for many of the Swedish teams.

So, overall the race kit was lightweight, aimed at minimising drag whilst regulating temperature and with the ability to carry some food, water and safety kit in a relatively lightweight & streamlined manner. If overly hot, my wetsuit could be dropped to the waist easily and if very warm, sleeves of base layer could be rolled up. If cold, the long sleeves and neoprene gloves should help keep me warm.

For training, I essentially dropped cycling and substituted additional run and swim sessions, typically 4-5 of each per week. With a month to go, I made the decision to focus running on many 7 – 10 mile sessions rather than increasingly long runs and would do this again. Swimming I kept up some degree of intensity with pool sessions whilst adding 2-3km river swims. In general, I think I would have benefitted from swimming more than I did as I never really got above 10km in any single week.

I also did several run/swim sessions in race kit which helped refine it and got me used to managing transitions efficiently. Apart from getting used to the rubbery legged feeling on exiting the water, I’m not sure that I got a huge amount of additional benefit as the muddy footpaths and exits on the river Dee are very different to those in the event itself. My two longest sessions were approximately 9 miles total running and 3500m swimming – roughly ⅓ race distance and in my opinion, easily enough in terms of specific training.

The Race
The Stockholm archipelago is a truly beautiful place, obvious almost before we left the mainland. I think all the first time competitors were awed by the boat trip out to the start, even myself who’d been in Stockholm a few days with Lynn, my wife, and already done one boat trip. The weather was wonderful, blue skies and azure seas, the many islands (some 30,000 in total) tree covered in their centre with bare granite shorelines. Our starting point on the island of Sandhamm was especially idyllic, with a pretty village and harbour and beautiful tree-lined trails. Walking over to check out the first swim, the longest on the course at 1650m, we found the water pretty calm, warm (at least 15°C) and much less salty than most sea water, which boded well on the honking / seasickness front.

Spike, Harvey, myself, Matt - waiting for the boat to the start

Spike and La Marquise and I had met up after dropping Lynn off to travel home, before ourselves catching a train to the coast where we had a chance to meet the Ladyboys who had 3 teams racing, including Matt and Harvey who we knew from Norseman in 2009. La Marquise was marshalling and equally as excited as ourselves. The only fly in the ointment was that Spike had picked up a shoulder injury the weekend before. Whilst he was confident of finishing, my conservative expectation of swimming at 2 mins / 100m now looked like an optimistic target.

With no transition to set up, preparing kit was relatively leisurely. We collected the race bibs, timing dibbers and emergency mobile phones, showed our mandatory safety gear (bandage, wetsuit, waterproof map case, Bumbag, compass & whistle) and that was about it – just wait for the very good evening meal and head off to bed for an early night. The one thing Spike and I did do was quickly talk through a couple of race scenarios, fast and slow. Since there was relatively little (if any) elevation gain, I estimated 10 minute miles for running over rough ground and 2 mins per 100m swimming which adds up to roughly 9½ hours for the whole event – since this was the expected winning time I knew that something wasn’t right but (wrongly) thought it was the complexity of getting in and out of the water so many times. In fact the running was much rougher than I bargained for.
We knew that if we split the race up into thirds that we had roughly 19km run / 5km swim to the 12:30 cut-off; 18km run / 3km swim to the 16:00 cut-off and 23km run / 1200m swim from there to the finish. From that it’s clear that the event is heavily front end loaded for the swimming and we reckoned that 10:30 was a reasonable estimate for the 12:30 cut-off point, 10am being as fast as we thought we might reasonably go and 11 would be on the slow side. As it was, Spike’s shoulder injury slowed him up considerably more than anticipated.

On race morning we were up at 4am, rather late by my standards for a 6am start. With a long queue for breakfast, I didn’t get to eat before 4:45. More pertinently for me, my usual ritual of coffee to assist with *ahem* morning ablutions came rather too late and led to me having to take a dump during the race. Some of the Swedes were tucking into ham sandwiches and lumps of cheese which I found rather surprising but it seemed to work OK for them. After that we dropped our bags off, picked up the race tracking transponder and took a couple of photos before the gun went just on 6am. We were off...well sort of, as the whole field were kept in a bunch behind a quad bike for the mile down to the first beach where we started racing for real.

I dived in and swam a few strokes before looking back, the first of many times in a long day and knew straight away that Spike wasn’t going to be swimming fast at all. We entered the water near the front of the field but after only 400m had been spat out the back. We also had a navigational problem, only a few teams were swimming directly towards the obvious marker, most bearing significantly rightwards. Initially, I gave it no thought as I often swim a more direct line than most but by half way we had diverged so much that Dave and I had a quick chat and since it was the only marker we could see, agreed to carry on. I kept on looking over to the right but couldn’t see anybody exiting the water and no boats pushed us to the right so I reasoned we must be OK. Finally, nearly level with the exit, I made out people running along the coast – damn, damn, damn. It wasn’t so much the error that hurt but (literally) that Spike’s shoulder did and we were unnecessarily swimming an extra 300m (careful observation of a map later revealed that we had been heading towards a shipping marker – you can see it on the map below, marked Vindalso), over 10 minutes at Spike’s pace. To both our credit I think, we didn’t dwell on this at all but just got on with the job of swimming to shore. As we exited, I could see that there were no more than 10 teams behind us, though a large bunch had exited just ahead.

Any thoughts that we might have had a tough start to the race were immediately banished as we slimed our way onto dry land and tried to find our running legs. At odds with the drunken weaving was the necessity for immediate stability as we got our first taste of why 10 minute mile pace was somewhat optimistic – the first island consisted wholly of boulder hopping along the coast. It was less than 1km but required total concentration on slightly slippery rocks. That the colours and coastal scenery were superb barely registered.

Myself and Spike closing in on Skarp-Runmaro; the swim exit at Skarp-Runmaro

Finally we reached the water’s edge again and a short second swim. An aid station was set up on the far side and soon we heard Susannah’s whoops as she recognised us. By now I was somewhat worried about Dave being able to make it through the race but to his great credit he soldiered on through obvious pain without ever complaining. I got a drink and the marshal addressed me rather formally:
“You are in 69th place”
“Is that good?” I asked – he missed the sarcasm
“Yes” he replied, “the leader came past 44 minutes ago”
“Thanks for telling me that, I really needed to know” – this time he spotted the sarcasm and we shared a smile.

La Marquise's photos from the transition area on Skarp-Runmaro

By now Dave was out of the water and we trotted off towards our first taste of the true event; rough forest with an, at best, intermittent path. We were following yellow/red/blue tape which had been put up with great care along the whole course and I doubt many teams would have finished had this not been present. Faint trails seemed to start and end between pillow-like granite mounds which were sometimes wooded, generally mossy, often slippery and dotted with fallen trees and other obstacles and undergrowth. There was no alternative but to focus completely on every step and on route finding at the same time. This island (Skarp-Runmaro) was 3km long and was slow going as we adapted to the approach needed to run with greatest efficiency. As we reached the far side of the island, we ran through some boggy ground before reaching the coastal rocks and I fell over twice in quick succession, presumably through having something slimy on my shoes. There was no damage apart from pride and a slightly sore elbow but I knew I needed to be somewhat more careful – there were still 20 islands to go after all.
By the time we reached the sea again, we knew we were in for a long and demanding day out. After just two islands we had encountered very different types of terrain, both challenging. It was a relief to jump back into the water for a short swim-run-swim across a very small island and then finally reach the first of the larger islands, Runmaro.

Finally, we were running on wide trails and we quickly settled into a good, easy, all-day rhythm. We relaxed, probably for the first time and started chatting. It was obvious already that this was going to be a tremendous day out and we were determined to enjoy it; I can’t remember much of what we talked about but “Born to Run” took us through several km.
Soon enough we started to see teams ahead and I had to hold Dave back as he instinctively got the scent of the hunt in his nostrils – we would pass them all soon enough without having to exert ourselves any more than necessary, especially since 36 miles is a long way on easy terrain, let alone what we were covering.

I recall that we passed about 10 teams on Runmaro and we held onto those places, despite me needing to take a dump. It was a steep, rocky descent to the swim across a short, silty stretch of water that felt like an estuary and I remember the next 1km swim which came soon after – Spike started strongly but tired noticeably in the second half and a couple of teams came back past.

The next major island was Namdo and once again we were out of the woods and onto decent trails, running past some pretty open pasture before reaching a rather long out-and-back to the 12:00 cut-off point. We reached it at 11:20, 40 minutes in hand and 20 slower than our ‘slow’ estimate but both in good shape and high spirits. We had done more than half the swimming and were passing teams regularly in the runs so I think we both felt confident of gradually working our way up the field. The weather was fantastic; bright and sunny and the water was calm and ever so blue, very inviting.

Much of the middle section of the race has blurred into one memory, of running through woods, dodging round trees and bushes, over dead branches, taking care on mossy rocks, glimpses of the sea, jumps off rocky outcrops, short coastal sections of boulder hopping and then swimming leisurely through beautifully calm, blue water, barely salty, with the sun shining and the islands looking like paradise lost. A few specifics remain – one tiny stretch of water that I swam, whilst Spike walked next to me – an island where we missed the landing point, along with a couple of other teams and had to scout around before finding the route – one crossing where we had to swim into a small natural harbour, not visible until the last minute. The one nagging fear in the back of our minds now was the rapidly approaching ‘Hell Swim’; at 1400m this was the second longest swim and, by all accounts, the most challenging due to cross currents and very choppy water; on the map below you can see that there is no shelter at all.

I have no doubt that we encountered the Hell Swim on a very easy day and for me it was the nicest swim of them all – anybody thinking that was hell has never been to Bala when it’s windy! There was a gentle swell but other than that it was a dream. Marshals on a boat told us where to point ourselves and after that it was just a case of getting to the other side. Of course this wasn’t in any way fast but I had now managed to find a way of swimming that didn’t involve constantly stopping and so just had to check that I was going in the right direction and that Spike was still with me.

By now we had developed a system which involved Spike going ahead in the runs, with me maybe 10m behind. Spike would sometimes pull ahead further so that he could do some run/walking against my more evenly paced approach. If at any time he lost the path, Spike would let me know and almost invariably I was able to immediately spot where he needed to head, just from having a slightly different angle to see the tape. When we got to the coast, Spike would get in first and swim off as it didn’t take me more than a minute or two to catch back up, even if I’d got to pull my wetsuit back on. On the far side of the swim, I would scout out what looked like the best exit point and generally get out and wait.
Getting out was something that developed as the race went on. There was always algae and it was always slippery. The question in general was whether you could stand up below the waterline or whether you needed to get your foot up onto a higher ledge at or above the surface.

As in the photos below, the approach varied with each individual and island. I recall once grabbing a handhold and slowly pulling my way upwards like a slug exiting the primeval ooze. Often, it was a case of determining how steep the exit was and whether I could stand or needed to get onto my knees. As the race went on we worked out that small beaches offered the most secure exit.

Once onto flat rock it was easy to imagine that the worst was over. However, now was the time when wobbly legs kicked in and often the rocks were still very slippery; care was constantly needed until back into the forest, when the problem became one of tripping, slipping on moss and route finding. I thought back to the race briefing where the message “always keep moving” was repeated several times.

After the hell swim we had a longish island, where Spike took a dump himself whilst I walked on through completely silent woodland on a good trail with time to munch an energy bar. It was beautiful and very tranquil.
At the far end of the island we reached the 14:30 cutoff with 45 mins to spare and then used up the 5 mins we had gained getting Spike’s wetsuit back on. Thankfully this was the only time he dropped it to the waist as he’d made the decision to keep warmer and hadn’t chopped the arms – some serious pulling was needed to get us on the move and again I think this showed us to be a sound team as we just worked together to do what needed to be done.

Soon enough we were past the last long swim, just under 1km and it felt like a weight off our shoulders. There were a couple of teams we were playing leapfrog with, easily faster on the run but then somewhat slower in the water. I think Spike and I both thought the race was in the bag at this point with so little swimming left but the reality couldn’t have been more different. I also slightly lost our race bearings at this point, missing out the island of Kymmendo in my mind – I asked another team whether we had reached Orno after exiting a swim and they said yes, which didn’t help. We thought we had over 2 hours to do the 11km to the final cut-off.

I do remember being surprised that the terrain was so rough, as Orno was where the bike took place last year on obviously good trails – this was very waterlogged ground, at one point through head high reeds. Then Spike asked about the 16:00 cut-off which should have raised alarm bells but I thought we must have missed it by mistake. Of course we hadn’t and eventually popped out onto a proper waterfront with La Marquise cheering and the feeling that the aid station team were having a great time. We were still pretty relaxed but now got to meet some of the teams who had already been pulled after failing to meet earlier cut-offs, including the very friendly sisters from New York and a UK team of adventure racers who we’d chatted to previously. We were 30 minutes inside the cut-off so no doubt took the aid station at too leisurely a pace but it was a wrench to leave such an idyllic spot.

Dave and myself at the Kymmendo aid station - courtesy of La Marquise again

The swim to Orno was 300m and the only one where I did a time check – it took us 15 minutes and left us 75 minutes to run 11km. At first we were on good trails, then suddenly we lost the tape and spent a minute or two scouting round before retracing our steps to a junction where we’d not been careful enough. It was as though now we didn’t have to concentrate 100% on route finding that we’d stopped thinking completely. Soon after, we made another error, missing the fork where we needed to leave the main trail for some more off-road action over some lovely granite rocks. I was starting to get slightly worried and knew we couldn’t afford to lose any more time, especially with this section of slower terrain.

Once back on a major trail, Spike and I had a talk about how long we thought it would take – I reckoned we would be 20 mins inside the cut-off, Spike reckoned 15. In any event that was closer than we wanted so I pushed on, upping the pace as much as I could sustain after 20+ miles of tough running. I knew Spike was starting to struggle and wanted to keep with him at his comfortable pace but I just couldn’t bear the thought of not making it, not finishing such a wonderful event. We passed some ramshackle barns and then, finally, some houses appeared. I hoped this was it but no, a chap mowing his lawn (how incongruous) told me we had 2km to go. Spike’s watch gave us 20 minutes so we knew we were going to make it but I still felt the need to keep the effort up in case anything else went wrong; there was no sense of relief just yet.

We reached a paved road for the first time and climbed up a slight rise, over which, very suddenly, I could see the aid station. I wanted to jump for joy, hug Spike, anything to show my relief but luckily for him, Spike was too far behind and so I walked into the aid station with a big grin on my face and just 7 minutes to go before the cut-off. There were a few teams there, including Irish brothers who were loving every minute and we all waited with anticipation as the time ticked down. I recall that 4 more teams made it in, the last a mixed team with 20 seconds to spare; the lady threw herself to the ground with relief as she passed the dibbing point. It was somewhat humbling for both of us, neither Spike nor myself have ever been close to a cut-off before.

The passing of the cut-off woke me from a bit of a trance and I was keen to get going – 11 hours gone and just 12km in total to the finish. We left a bit of a party atmosphere behind and agreed to walk the next 3km which were on tarmac. It was warm and scenic but soon enough I wanted to push on. Spike, however, was getting tired now so we carried on walking. For a long while there was nobody ahead and we never did see anybody behind us on what was a long straight road in the main. We eventually left the tarmac at an impromptu aid station manned by the Swedish equivalent of the WI, a lovely group of old ladies who were very encouraging. Spike still didn’t want to run but as we got back into woodland I started to get quite cold and so we picked up the pace a bit, soon catching a team that we had been trading places with for several hours.

The remainder of the race was something of a tired blur; lots of little islands, separated by short swims and made ever so beautiful by a colourful sunset that lit up the granite with glinting light. Towards the end my phone rang and I had a quick chat with Lynn who was a bit worried that I’d not called (I had given her a somewhat optimistic estimated finishing time). I took a quick picture of Spike, through a waterproof bag so a bit blurred but actually, it’s of the roughest terrain shown in any of the race photos – and nowhere near the roughest we encountered. The low sun shows that time was becoming more of a pressing issue so we didn’t linger.

Swim, jog, swim, jog – we kept thinking we must be reaching the last stretch of water – but no, there always seemed to be another. Somewhere here we met twix lady – I’m sure that she was quite attractive but all I wanted was her chocolate, even if the crumbs brought me out in a fit of coughing – my EIA had kicked in long before but I was coping with it well on this occasion; I’d taken a puff of ventolin at the final cut-off and I think that worked a treat to keep my airways properly open towards the end. Finally, we started on a steep drop to what we knew was the final swim and I ran hard into a dead branch which I didn’t see in the failing light. I don’t bruise easily but this left a large one on my right thigh and led to a loud expletive. Even so, there was a degree of excitement over the pain – we were finally finishing, though it was a longish walk-run (mostly walk) in the twilight across Uto to the village and finally, up a hill to the finish line. The prize giving was going on but was interrupted by somebody (guess who?) calling Spike a sexy beast very loudly. Proceedings then paused as the other racers gave us a tremendous cheer as we crossed the line.
I was very cold now as you can see in the photo so we got straight back to the room, La Marquise had kindly taken my bag down and so all I needed to do was jump in the shower and warm up for several minutes under the hot water. We had been given the race t-shirt before starting but of course now was the first time I could wear it (100% merino wool – take note, this is a class event in every way). Spike and I was both exhausted, managing just a single beer with our race banquet and a quick chat with the other Brits – Matt and Harvey had both finished close to an hour ahead of us, great work. I gave my thanks to the marshals and race organisers and then went to bed; body spent, mind spinning with the events of an incredible day.

We finished in 14:19; 47th of 51 male teams. A further 11 male teams failed to finish, that’s 1 team in 5 for an event that is hardly likely to attract the casual athlete; an incredibly high attrition rate and testament to the difficulty of the event. It was a similar story for the women where only 2 of 4 teams finished and in the mixed pairs, where 6 of 10 finished. This is not a race to take lightly.

Before ending, I have to say a big thank you to Spike for partnering me. We shared a tremendous day together without a cross word, working through the issues that are bound to arise in an event like this as they happened and racing as I like to, with a smile. Of course there were moments in the swim when I got frustrated at our slow speed but as I’ve said already, I have nothing but admiration for the guts it took to swim nearly 10km, a significant achievement in its own right, let alone with a damaged shoulder. Differences in speed between team mates are unavoidable, whatever their cause, and an ability to cope with that positively is part and parcel of any team event. I had a great day out and now have another black t-shirt to add to my collection.

ÖtillÖ is a very challenging event, as hard as Norseman for sure and totally unique. The ankle flexibility required for fast swimming clearly doesn’t sit neatly with the stability needed for ultra running on rough ground so I don’t think it is ever likely to attract mainstream triathletes.
It is those looking for a bit of adventure, in beautiful surroundings who will take on the challenge – in terms of concept and execution, ÖtillÖ is every bit as good as anything I have ever done.

There is a lot more that I could write but this feels like the right point to stop.
Almost back to being an athlete in 2016 Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 01 Sep 2006
Posts: 95
Location: Oxfordshire

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic report Cobbie. Great to read over breakfast, really evocative of the whole day. Well done to you both for finishing, I don't think any of us realised quite how hard this race would be but it was beautiful all the same. So what will be the next adventure I wonder?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 21 Apr 2008
Posts: 167
Location: NZ

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. Congratulations. I read Gordo's report and they got lost too. You describe the day so well and [whispers quietly] make it sound like a really good fun, if slightly nuts, event to do. Chapeau!
2008: PZ Tri, N.Cornwall Tor, Plymouth 1/2, Falmouth Aquthln, Durty Tri, Hayle Sprint, Exmoor Beast
2009, Stinger du, Ex&Sidmouth aquthlns. Hayle Std, Lake Hayes Sprint
2010 Wanaka Half, Xterra NZ Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 11 Jan 2006
Posts: 2314
Location: TUnbridge Wells

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

report worth waiting for

Just gutted i couldnt be there to do it

one year when the lad is a little older !!!

and yes - what is next ???
Life is free - take it in big chunks.....

2006 IM CH, 2007 IMF, 2008 Norseman, 2009 100 hour Raid Pyrenees, 2010 Marazion, 2011 AXtri, 2012 - White Horse Challenge, Tonbridge, 2nd baby, 2013 - Aberdeen to Southampton bike, 2014 Gauntlet

2015 ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 15 Sep 2006
Posts: 4216
Location: There or thereabouts

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant Cobbie, a really enjoyable read. Smile

Bainsey, let me know when you're ready ... Wink
Follow me on Twitter!
BLOG - Slackbladder Goes Forth
My JustGiving page for the Alzheimer's Society
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 07 Mar 2005
Posts: 15974
Location: Lincoln / Scarborough (Algerino-Land) / Fircombe-on-Sea. sandbagging for daveM

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cobbie-tastic Cool Party
24-7? Wink
EnduroManChamp:Euro2010-12,Deca12, Quin11,D10
HH1x2 HM30 1&3 SRock1 BelC2 GP2 VLM2h58 FellsM
Ard2 D2 FMan-11 TT2 Out16 10.15 CDS5 Ang3 IMUK-11 Jx1 Ult6 BW3 Stap1 Hel23 IMW11 Hx6 BxD1 Wx9 RR8
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website

Joined: 24 Aug 2005
Posts: 17405
Location: St Leonards, East Sussex

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brilliant. Mad and brilliant. Cool
Focus on easy, because if that's all you get, that ain't so bad. - Caballo Blanco
We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children. - Native American proverb
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 09 Jun 2005
Posts: 8709
Location: London

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Completely bonkers!

What a fantastic race Cool
2019: Just riding my bike....
Hot Chillee ride captain (sponsored by Specialized, Sigma Sports, Kalas, Wahoo, One Pro Cycle Insurance)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 29 Aug 2007
Posts: 7060
Location: London

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

11/10 on the bonkers scale Twisted Evil Truly Epic Cool
Swim smart, Bike strong, Run tough
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 02 Aug 2005
Posts: 7447
Location: Chester

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everybody.

Bainsy wrote:
and yes - what is next ???

Hmmm, Cobbette wants me to finish with the mad stuff but I'm sure I'll talk her round Wink

I would like to do this again but only if somebody of a similar swim ability wants to race with me (c 60mins IM speed). If not, I think AdH long course will be my big race, I've wanted to do that for a long time.
I'd like to do more long distance fell running but working away from home, time constraints are a significant issue, one race a quarter is about as much as I can contemplate without being unfair Smile
Almost back to being an athlete in 2016 Shocked
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 28 Oct 2007
Posts: 683
Location: Edinburgh

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report Cobbie, thank you and well done!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 12 Aug 2009
Posts: 905

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great report, looks like an amazing event!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
2 scheds

Joined: 28 Jun 2006
Posts: 24938
Location: The comeback trail

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done guys!

People in compression socks shouldn't throw stones - Icehockeyhair 22/10/2013
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 11 Jan 2006
Posts: 2314
Location: TUnbridge Wells

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cobbie wrote:
Thanks everybody.

[. If not, I think AdH long course will be my big race, I've wanted to do that for a long time.

may just see you there !!!
Life is free - take it in big chunks.....

2006 IM CH, 2007 IMF, 2008 Norseman, 2009 100 hour Raid Pyrenees, 2010 Marazion, 2011 AXtri, 2012 - White Horse Challenge, Tonbridge, 2nd baby, 2013 - Aberdeen to Southampton bike, 2014 Gauntlet

2015 ?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message

Joined: 16 Jan 2006
Posts: 1435
Location: London

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote


And sounds like an amazing race to do.

Not really so angry these days!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

Home | About TT | Privacy Policy | Terms and Conditions | Advertising | Contact TT
Copyright ©2003-2015 TriTalk® All rights reserved.