Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Starting from scratch...which bike

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gandalf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:47 pm    Post subject: Starting from scratch...which bike Reply with quote

Hi folks, I must be mad but I'm seriously thinking about trying this triahlon lark. I'm starting absolutely from scratch as an overweight and unfit 45 year old. I have made a start on the running and lost over a stone so far,but I need to get myself a bike. For initial training purposes I intend bringing my old Dawes Super Galaxy back from the dead. Obviously as a touring bike it hardly fits the bill. How much do I need to spend on a bike to get me started and what should I be looking for? Is there much of a difference between a "proper" tri bike and a standard road racer?

Thanks in anticipation and please don't laugh too much.
Sue

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome to TT Gandalf

if we smile its only becuase we can laugh at ourselves and all been there before --but it would be very discreetly Very Happy
If you have a bike and not too sure about tris then use that. Think we have all used day to day bikes, mountain bikes, etc and there are always some at tris so dont feel you'll be the only one and look odd.
There will be threads on this topic also if you trawl back.
Well done in loosing a stone already --lots of folk have done the same on here --hats off to all of you --I have a prob with a few pounds Embarassed
Any ideas which tri you are aiming for --doesnt say where you are based.
Just enjoy the training, enjoy loosing weight and toning up, enjoy feeling fitter and better than most other 45year olds, and enjoy TT Wink

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to TT, Gandalf. No one's going to laugh and you'll find a great percentage of people here are ex-lardies, myself included.

Your bike fits the bill perfectly. Many people use what ever bike they have available for their first tri's. If it's road worthy and safe then it's fine. The only time you need to consider a new bike is if you feel the one you have isn't fast enough or might be holding you back from your goals (to finish an Olympic in less than 2:30, for instance) or your bike falls to bits.

However, if you do choose to get something else, and I went against my own advice and bought a new bike, spending something in the region of 300 will get you something nice. Forget about tri bikes for the time being and stick with a road bike. What you get is down to you, that's personal taste.

What events are you thinking of racing?
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gandalf and a big welcome to TT.

Really you should use your old Dawes for your first couple of races just to make sure that triathlon is for you - it would be a shame to blow a wad of cash only to discover that you don't like it. People do triathlons on all sorts of bikes - mountain bikes are common and I've even seen a sit up and beg shopping bike!

However, part of the fun of taking up a new sport is the new toys you can buy! Choosing a bike is a very personal affair, it's just a matter of trying a few and seeing which one you like the best. It's been said many times before but the single most important factor is that the bike fits you properly.

In terms of costs, if you are buying brand new you can get something pretty good from about 400 upwards if you shop around. My opinion (and others may differ) is that if you are just starting out forget about a "proper" tri bike and get a normal road bike and fit tri bars onto it.
Gandalf

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all your replies and encouragement. I still don't think I could face turning up with my full length mudguards and luggage rack though! Embarassed
anna

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome . I agree about the luggage racks but dont worry about the bike, I did a couple of tris last year on my mountain bike ( I would suggest getting slick tires) and have spent the winter trying to learn to handle a new road bike. It is faster BUT I am still very hesitant around corners. If you are anything like me it takes ages to learn to ride a new bike and as for those tri bar things !!! well i cant even cope with the drops Embarassed

anna
dr dre

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gandalf
bring the old one back to life - no point sheling out 's til your hooked (which will probably will happen going on track records)

enjoy
Sue

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gandalf --you dont live too far away from me (lucky or what say the others Rolling Eyes )
so which tri are you thinking of doing, one of the closer by ones?????

(I could come and inspect your bike to see if i chuckle --then you could have a real laugh when I try to ride my newbie Very Happy -- I was actually thinking of resurecting my hybrid for tris Embarassed )

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue wrote:
I was actually thinking of resurecting my hybrid for tris Embarassed )

No Sue, don't do it! Want to plan a ride? I'll bring tools!
Robert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Gandalf!

I wouldn't worry about racing in a tourer - I've been cycling for yonks and only recently bought what could be called as a pure road racing bike. I was even too lazy to take off the rear rack for racing!

Like the others have said, spruce up the old Galaxy and see how hooked you get. I raced past one girl struggling with her MTB - beat her by about 20mins - only to see her pass me half way through the run! Embarassed
fast slow twitch

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Very Happy I would agree with waht people are saying. I've raced bikes for longer than I have not, and am in the process of buying a Dawes Galaxy for ultra training and hostel rides. My friend, current vets national 24hr champ (on standard), is contemplating this too.

Stick with what you have, move up when you get the bug - which is catching to say the least. See you around Smile
"Deep in my cells I know there's something bad at the end if I don't get through it. This keeps me honest. It keeps me scared. I am stronger because I know there is a consequence. I know I can't get away with slacking off. . Mark Twight, Ice Climber
Gandalf

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sue wrote:
Gandalf --you dont live too far away from me (lucky or what say the others Rolling Eyes )
so which tri are you thinking of doing, one of the closer by ones?????

(I could come and inspect your bike to see if i chuckle --then you could have a real laugh when I try to ride my newbie Very Happy -- I was actually thinking of resurecting my hybrid for tris Embarassed )

Sue,

To be honest I haven't gone so far as to actually find an event yet...very early days to say the least. I'm doing a 10K in Esher on May 2nd and I'm thinking about doing the 600m swim/6 mile run thingy in Morden Park a week later. The furthest I've run so far is 5 miles at a blistering 11.5 minute mile, last Sunday. I hope I've lost some more weight by May otherwise greenpeace will be picketing and consiscating harpoons. Rolling Eyes

Thanks to everyone for making me welcome.
AndyS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gandalf wrote:
I hope I've lost some more weight by May otherwise greenpeace will be picketing and consiscating harpoons. Rolling Eyes

I hope you don't find this at all insulting but as you're new I'll say it anyway! You do know the easiest and most effective way to loose weight is to take things nice and easy? A nice easy ride or swim is just the ticket. I find running raises my heart rate too high to be a good weight loss programme.

As a double bonus, nice easy training is exactly what you should be doing early in the season, building your aerobic base and endurance.

Last edited by AndyS on Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Robert

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here here! I've found that I'm shedding the Kgs by...going long! An hour-long run at HR150 is easy enough, even for someone like me, burns approx 40% fat from the cals lost. Whereas a mad spin sesh only loses 15% fat.

The lower the HR the better....but prob is you have to do it for longer!
Big Bopper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Gandalf!

To be honest, apart from a keen minority, we all use road bikes, with aerobars bolted afterwards.

What I would add to what everyone has has said is get measured up properly, so the bike fits you exactly. This is available at several places (TriandRun, Sigma Sports), but usually only when you get your super-duper lovelyboy bike (ie, costs at least 600-700 and can be oh-so-much more).

BB
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: