Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
bricks for olympic distance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ld10k

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:07 pm    Post subject: bricks for olympic distance Reply with quote

hi everybody
Thanks for the swimming tips. Its slowly getting better. I do not know what I am doing right but I have a fair idea of what I am doing wrong.
Concerning bricks ,reading several articles, I am a bit lost.
Some people suggest to do a ride 20/30 miles hard followed by a run 2/3 miles fast.
Others go for a long cycle (50miles) and then run 5/7 miles but slow.
What do you think?

thanks

laurent
Question
Captain Fat

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I belive a brick can be anything you want, as long as the both legs are done, well. if you get my meaning

no point in hammering the bike if you are going to die in the first 100m of the run, make sure both legs are of quality.

Sue

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooerrr, I jus do my own thing
after a cycle ride -which always seems hard because of the hills /inclines Rolling Eyes I go for a short run sometimes only a couple of miles. Suppose it depends on which distance you are doing in the tri as well. I think of the brick sessions for me, being a novice really, is to get used to running off the bike. Get used to the jellyleg feeling, as if they dont belong to you. Worked ok for me last year, didnt take long into the run before my legs felt ok (maybe I didnt push myself in teh bike hard enough, oh dear Embarassed )

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can get your legs used to the run by doing a turbo session then leaping out the front door and going for a short run. Neighbours may call the police, but I am sure they will get used to it. Start off gently - say a mile or so...and progess slowly. Its early days
"Deep in my cells I know there's something bad at the end if I don't get through it. This keeps me honest. It keeps me scared. I am stronger because I know there is a consequence. I know I can't get away with slacking off. . Mark Twight, Ice Climber
swift_sam

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2004 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my new style of training....yet to start - 1 more week to let stitchs recover! I run a minimum of 30mins off the bike (when bike is longer than 90 minutes..) as this will slowly develop run efficiency..

also because my coach feels triathletes are training too short...an olympic triathlon should be considered as a marathon - or close to in effort/time etc. (I havent done a marathon btw, im far too young for such rubbish - tho im tempted for one in september before packing off to uni..)
Therefore, your run training should consider the fact that your bodys been working for 75-80mins...and isnt fresh as a daisy.

Some bricks we did for Olymp here in Brisbane are: 20k Bike, 5k run x 2
or 8k hard, 1k all out - 2mins rest x 5....but you can do any old variation..provided you get a good run off the bike.
ld10k

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you for the tips.
I started training last year and only completed a half marathon and a short duathlon in september (5k/20k/5k).
My bricks were 30/40k followed by 6k run.
I was thinking about doing a bit more for an olympic race.
Doing shorter distance at higher tempo is probably very good but to be honest after 90mn on the bike cycling easy as soon as I start running, i am in red zone. It takes me 25mn to complete 5k which is not supersonic speed.
Do you think, things will improve as you develop stamina and running efficiency.

laurent
AndyS

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swift_sam wrote:
1 more week to let stitchs recover!

So it's all feeling a lot better, Sam? Although you say "im far too young for such rubbish" about the marathon, you do have IM ambitions for later? How old is sensible to run such a race. Not that I'm anywhere young enough to worry about it, just wondered.

Laurent, 25 mins sounds fine to me, especially if that's after 30/40k bike. I'm still yet to do a proper brick session. Should have a go really.
thelongerthebetter

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2004 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've got access to gym that does spinning classes - try 2 or 3 miles before class, spinning class then 2 or 3 miles after.

or if there are double spinning classes
2 or 3 run/spin/2 or 3 run - depends on time between classes/spin/then 2 or 3 afterwards!!!!
swift_sam

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When i say another week..thats till i can swim..doh...another 3 before running!

so decided to scrap waiting for 10 days and going backpacking to fiji...

Ironman - Ironman is triathlon - less of the sprint rubbish Wink
Seriously though, I'v always loved all the long distance and slightly maso side to it...

As for age - if Im fit il do the Sherbourne half this summer??

I'm not going to touch full ironman till alteast 21/22?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: