Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Wetherby Tri
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarlowDude

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:24 pm    Post subject: A bit nippy Reply with quote

Was a bit cold.

The event was well-organised and also don't forget about the hoards of volunteers standing out in the wind and the rain.

Every year the swim is always 'about 13deg', but this is Yorkshire and not the south of Spain. Unless you install heaters in Malham Tarn the temperature all year round will be much the same. The other way is to drink a lot before the swim then use your inbuilt central heating system... What was noticable today was the current with 34:24 being my slowest swim for a couple of years when I was expecting to do it in 28-29min. Have to say the last 100m took forever!

Bike (1:14:51) was wet, dark and windy, but on previous years the sun has shone and I could see where I was going. After 2 weeks in Lanzarote it's good to have some proper weather!

Same with the helmet strap, by hands were sooo cold I couldn't undo it and had to pull it off over my face. Then comedy as I cursed not transferring my lock-laces from my old trainers and must have added a minute in T2 trying to tie my shoe laces.

The run went well for me (43:00) and was the first time I've run without sunglasses... Finished after a sort of sprint to the end in 2:37:02, not bad for me.

It's my first standard distance tri this year and good to blow some of the cobwebs off. Next up is Ripon in 6 weeks and hopefully a much better time.

PS. And I very pleased the organisers (or at least a kind passer-by) have found my sunglasses after I dropped them between transition and the carpark!
Slow swimmer

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done Marlow. I'm really pleased to hear that others were well off their swim target. Mine was about 38/39 mins.

I'm used to cold weather and after doing Snowdonia Triathlon last weekend in 10 degrees water and the Etape Du Dales the previous weekend which was 110 miles of pure hell in cold, high wind and rain, I thought I was prepared for anything.

You are right about the marshalls and I did manage to thank every single one as I always do. For some reason today, I thought that I would be OK and as an Olympic distance, I just went off without adding any extra top after the swim and did not put gloves on. I thought that I would warm up but just could not generate the heat. The cold is never an issue to me normally which was why I was so surprised.

I managed a 1:10 for the bike and a 39:30 (ish) 10K which I was pleased with. I managed to get through without being overtaken on bike/run.

It was good to see E-J who had a cracking 2:24 given the conditions.

It's all about getting the black T-shirt !
drdjpower

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done to everybody, competitors, organisers, marshalls, spectators - it was a bit grim, but I think I enjoyed it. Cliff Richard once said how great it was to get old because all the things you used to get wrong, you don't any more. I am now old enough to have become Sir Cliff. He'd beat me in a sprint finish, mind.

The swim has been colder (or I have been thinner). I'm too slow at swimming to realise how strong the current was on the upstream leg, but the downhill section was magic - I felt like a real swimmer! Extra top, armwarmers, big gloves, overshoes and sweeties in T1 cost lots of time, kept most of it on for the run, too. I thought the bike and run conditions were fine, the least windy day for ages.

2:thirtysomething, forgot to stop the watch because I was trying not to heave blue Powerade and bananas over the spectators. Sir Cliff never mentioned that bit.
JW

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EPIC DNF for me, I was off the bike and hauled straight into a piping hot shower by one of the medics... It's all very well getting lean for Alpe D'Huez Triathlon and the longer stuff but it has turned me into a serious wuss when there is a bit of a chill... i've never been so cold in my life (and I was brought up in Yorkshire).
2012 Targets: Sub-75min Half Marathon Sub-9:30hr Outlaw (9:26hr).
pkdo75

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow swimmer wrote:
Well done Marlow. I'm really pleased to hear that others were well off their swim target. Mine was about 38/39 mins.

I'm used to cold weather and after doing Snowdonia Triathlon last weekend in 10 degrees water and the Etape Du Dales the previous weekend which was 110 miles of pure hell in cold, high wind and rain, I thought I was prepared for anything.

You are right about the marshalls and I did manage to thank every single one as I always do. For some reason today, I thought that I would be OK and as an Olympic distance, I just went off without adding any extra top after the swim and did not put gloves on. I thought that I would warm up but just could not generate the heat. The cold is never an issue to me normally which was why I was so surprised.

Slow Swimmer,

I did Etape du Dales and reckon this was worse as I too underestimated the conditions. Rode in tri suit minus gloves and also lost my drinks bottle due to frostbitten fingers. Had to ask for help to undo my chin strap in T2 and it took until the turn for the feeling to return to my feet. Swim time of 38 mins compared to usual 28-30 so it was either slightly long or that current was stronger than expected!! Hated every minute and convinced myself that I'm not suited to shorter distances. Bring on ADIL and Outlaw and let's hope the sun comes out to play!!

I managed a 1:10 for the bike and a 39:30 (ish) 10K which I was pleased with. I managed to get through without being overtaken on bike/run.

It was good to see E-J who had a cracking 2:24 given the conditions.
sportsunday

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:29 pm    Post subject: Wetherby Triathlon... Reply with quote

Pics from to day at www.sportsunday.co.uk
Another stunning location for one of Paul Drinkwater Sports events.
Rizzla

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a bit chilly in the water!!

My swim time was also about 7 mins slower than usual, mainly due to the current and cold. Bike was good and really enjoyed the run, it reminded me of school cross sountry days getting caked in mud!

Just glad its been a lovely sunny afternoon and evening in Wetherby, can't believe its the same day as this morning! Smile
e-j

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as per above. blooming cold.

messed up the start by trying to reposition myself just before the gun and ending up right at the very back Rolling Eyes cue the biggest bun fight i've ever had. several people seemed to try and draft me half way up to the turn by simply holding onto my feet Evil or Very Mad still, good practice to the IM start trying to get through all the breast-strokers and newbies (there were quite a few folk in baggy shortie wetsuits, wonder if they survived the swim Shocked ). Cracking swim back down, bridged it to what looked like the chase pack, but that last 100m to the exit took forever Exclamation was questioning my ability to get there.

out the water no bother, then down the bank, legs go from under me and I land flat on my back Rolling Eyes lie there for a moment with all the spectators asking if i'm alright (through the giggles), but pick myself up and SLOWLY jog back to transition. with it raining and being blooming cold I tried to put a jersey on, but in the process got tangled and broke the zip, so then proceeded to take it off again. That probably cost me 30-40seconds. out to the mount line, rubber band trick...... nope, messed that up and nearly took out a poor girl going past me.

Got going on the bike, and thankfully the past week of training in the lakes and Yorkshire dales hadn't deadened my legs too much. Made up a fair bit. had an argument with one bloke who deliberately threw his gel wrapper to the verge. no need Evil or Very Mad But on the way back I started to slip a little... so cold. couldn't operate fingers to squeeze gel, probably got about half into my mouth. hey ho, it was only an Oly Wink

T2 went fine, stopped to ask the marshalls for a cup of tea but they wouldn't hand over theirs Rolling Eyes

Run was painful with blocks of ice until the turn around, but made up more places, realised i was in front of my mate Ian who has beaten me in every race we've ever done.... so I then really put my foot down. coming down those steps a wakefield tri bloke got on my shoulder and we had a bit of a tussle to the sprint finish but I managed to hold him off- although running in my Newtons was not the most sensible footwear choice as I was again close to doing the splits or landing flat on my face Rolling Eyes

awaiting formal results but by my watch I finished in 2:24. so considering I'm focussed on long slow steady IM training, happy with that.

Phil Wilson- "EJ... He's an injury rehab ninja."
esox.flucius- "The man that Sport & Exercise doctors turn to for help"
jamewah

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was fearing the swim as I'm a 'wuss' when it comes to cold water ( grew up in Hertfordshire now live in Yorkshire)
However, I didn't think it was too bad, must be getting more Yorkshire Smile

But had an absolute dogs dinner of a swim! Completely miss timed the start, got stuck behind a rolling road block - my own fault though, one goggle let in water and my wetsuit was crushing my plums in a rush to get suited up. Anyway,
Bike was good though, glad the wind had finally subsided otherwise it really could have been hellish out there.
T2,
Really struggled with my shoes, hands were numb! thank god I put elastic laces in on Saturday.
Started to feel my feet about 3 miles into the run, and ended up having a good one.
Hats off to the marshals
Not one of my best experiences but definitely not my worst,
Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
JW

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jamewah wrote:
I was fearing the swim as I'm a 'wuss' when it comes to cold water ( grew up in Hertfordshire now live in Yorkshire)

I grew up in Yorkshire but now live in Hertfordshire, I couldn't hack the cold... I must be getting more Southern hehe.
2012 Targets: Sub-75min Half Marathon Sub-9:30hr Outlaw (9:26hr).
jamewah

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JW wrote:
jamewah wrote:

I grew up in Yorkshire but now live in Hertfordshire, I couldn't hack the cold... I must be getting more Southern hehe.

Born in Hemel Hempstead, now living just outside Hull in a small village called Welton just on the Wolds, some great rides here, beats the sh!t out of the Chilterns. Wink
Jane

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first OW swim this year, and it seemed I picked a tough one... it also didn't help that I keep missing pool swimming sessions too. Like everyone else, found it a bit cold, and then I forgot which side it was recommended to swim to get the slower current - ended up on the left of the pack and from what my bf tells me it took 25 mins to reach the bridge, and 15 mins getting back (official swim split was 41:19 I think - usually 1500m for me is 27/2Cool.

After that struggled to get motivated to hurry transition, and with very cold hands slowly pulled off wetsuit & hat, and added arm warmers, track gloves, shoes & helmet. Took about 3.5 mins!! Ride was OK, but feet & hands froze - at least it wasn't windy... Had to take a pit-stop during the return after 1:00 of cycling, and was bit worried when a pick-up drove into the lay-by I'd picked whilst I was still behind the trees - managed to get back to my bike before they did... Swapped places with a few of the other tail end cyclists on the return which finally gave me some motivation to push on, and finished in 1:32 ish (I think?) - could do better!!

Like everyone else, T2 was just plain difficult with incapacitated fingers (2 mins), and it was at least 1 mile into the run before I felt my feet again. Again I lacked the motivation to really push on, and the wheels fell off for a while around mile 4, but managed to pick it up for the last 2 miles, and nearly overtook somebody close to the finish line... 58 mins - not too bad for me (standalone 10k PB 53:49 when a stone lighter).

3:17 is probably my slowest ever Oly - but was a good training race, and will hopefully give me the kick I need to do some proper training in the build up for Bala, Outlaw & Elbaman...

Well done to everybody who raced, and thanks to the organisers, marshalls and spectators for putting on and supporting a great event, and standing out in the cold for all that time... My only criticism would be the litter - at the least, the race briefing needs to tell competitors not to discard gel/bar wrappers, and ideally littering should be penalised if caught... If you can carry stuff out, you can carry it back - the Yorkshire countryside doesn't need a load more non-biodegradeable waste in it's hedgerows on account of our sport...

I'm not sure it was an enjoyable race??? But I'll probably be back to do it properly next time - glutton for punishment Wink , Jane
jamewah

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.pdsportsmanagement.co.uk/results/Wetherby11.xls

Results are in

24th, can't really Grumble after such a diabolical swim Rolling Eyes
skunk

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a bit wet and cold wasnt it. lol. But to be honest it didnt bother me, and i think i race better in those type of conditions. The only tricky bit was getting my wetsuit off over my feet with cold hands.

Swim - looked at watch as i was getting out and saw 31.20. thought id swam well and would easy go under 30mins but by the sounds of it everybody found it tough. What do we reckon it it added to the swim?
Bike - ok but couldnt get going for first 25mins
Run - 42.xx - i should have gone quicker but have been suffering with cramps and just wanted to finish. I need to sort this asap as im more than capable of sub 40mins.

Finished 31st but dont know my actual swim and bike splits! grrrr!

It was a great race and i would do it again as it was well organised, etc.
murraymonster

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

skunk wrote:
It was a bit wet and cold wasnt it. lol. But to be honest it didnt bother me, and i think i race better in those type of conditions. The only tricky bit was getting my wetsuit off over my feet with cold hands.

Swim - looked at watch as i was getting out and saw 31.20. thought id swam well and would easy go under 30mins but by the sounds of it everybody found it tough. What do we reckon it it added to the swim?
Bike - ok but couldnt get going for first 25mins
Run - 42.xx - i should have gone quicker but have been suffering with cramps and just wanted to finish. I need to sort this asap as im more than capable of sub 40mins.

Finished 31st but dont know my actual swim and bike splits! grrrr!

It was a great race and i would do it again as it was well organised, etc.

Bummer! How come they managed to lose your splits? Confused

Pleased with my 33rd overall, though my swim, as with everyone else, was a struggle. Little disappointed with the run and transitions were very slow, but what can you expect when you can't feel your hands or feet!

Good race, but s**t weather!!

Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Events All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: