Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
choosing routes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dr dre

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:15 am    Post subject: choosing routes Reply with quote

Any tips on choosing routes to train on ? most of my bike work has been gym based ( eg 3/4 spinning classes as week ) My main route at the moment is out and back on a dual carraige way out of brum and as last night proved this can be a bit hairy ( chain coming off / dropping water bottle / planks of wood in the road / traffic )

However it is nice and straight with a few gentle inclines / declines and I can choose 8mile, 14 mile or 20 mile loops on it which are perfect.

What does everyone else do ?

Dre
ed_m

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2003 7:59 am    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

i like to enjoy my training (except swimming obviously which is just horrid) and 20miles on a smelly dual carraigeway is not my idea of fun. Althoguh there is something to be said for the cars having lots of room to pass you.
(like the fated A5 to tamworth & A45 back route we did once... horrid)

i get a decent map and look for a reasonable looking loop of white roads & B roads....

no problem for base bike training, if you're looking for speed training then i guess you'll want something simpler.
Robert

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I avoid dual carriageways altogether. Apart from being dangerous - and I don't just mean fast acrs passing, the amount of grit and glass on the road is astounding - they're also pretty boring!

Get yourself a local map and look for routes that don't involve too many junctions, main roads, etc. Also, don't be afraid to wander and get lost - it's the best way of finding those country village roads that are a dream to cycle through (unless you get a tractor blocking your way grrrrr)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: