Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Sub 5 70.3*
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thamesvalleyharrier

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: Sub 5 70.3* Reply with quote

*Caveat (or other non branded race of the same dsitance).
For all of you out there, I have a few questions.

What were your splits, and can you tell me the strongest and weakest discipline?

How much training did you do, volume and dedicated buildup?

How did you build up the swim, or were you comfrotable with the distance swimming before the start of the plan?
Tri it man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Sub 5 70.3* Reply with quote

Thamesvalleyharrier wrote:
*Caveat (or other non branded race of the same dsitance).
For all of you out there, I have a few questions.

What were your splits, and can you tell me the strongest and weakest discipline?

How much training did you do, volume and dedicated buildup?

How did you build up the swim, or were you comfrotable with the distance swimming before the start of the plan?

I did New Forest middle distance last Sept. Was only back running 6/7 weeks prior due to injury so gave me a lot more time on the bike. This worked well as it was a tough bike. Need to spend 50% of training time on bike I'd say. I did 31min swim, 2:40 on bike and 1.45 run. The run was 14m very hilly off road and whole course a lot slower than most. I'm even on all 3 disciplines but run might just edge it.
gingeadams

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swim 39 mins Mad
Bike 2hrs 36 mins
Run 1 hr 27 mins

Only about 6-7 hours per week. 2 runs, 1 ten mile TT and 1 longer bike ride. Occasional swim if I could be arsed. Swimming's always been carp. If I would bother getting lessons you might make something out of me.

Get in some 10k, 10mile and half marathon races, and some 25s and maybe a couple of 50 TTs and some proper swimming lessons and you'd do it easily.
Percula

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gingeadams wrote:
Swim 39 mins Mad
Bike 2hrs 36 mins
Run 1 hr 27 mins

Only about 6-7 hours per week. 2 runs, 1 ten mile TT and 1 longer bike ride. Occasional swim if I could be arsed. Swimming's always been carp. If I would bother getting lessons you might make something out of me.

Get in some 10k, 10mile and half marathon races, and some 25s and maybe a couple of 50 TTs and some proper swimming lessons and you'd do it easily.

Ginge, (Forget the swim bit) Is that normal two runs and two rides per week for you?
Is that enough, or the case of enough for you? (For half's and or longer?)
At that frequency your fresh each session so its balls out yeah? Or time restraints limiting your training?

(Sorry btw questions questions questions)
gingeadams

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best 1/2 IM time was set in 2009, training on the way to a full IM.

If I'm honest I wasn't really training specifically for the 1/2 IM and kind of just did it along the way. If I'm honest this amount of training seemed to be enough for IM so was good for 1/2 IM. I don't think it was time restrained as if I'd have been able to get to a pool then I'd have done nearer 9 or 10 hours a week (an extra 3 hours swimming) but kept the bike and run the same amount. I was involved in a car accident where my car was written off, so I couldn't actually physically get to a pool, as they were all so far away and lane times were not favorable. Training was literally bike and run.

For the decent 1/2 IM, training was two running sessions per week - one with the running club (speedwork, hard) and one on my own which was longer (steady).

Cycling was one longer ride (3 or 4 hour) at the weekend (steady to hard), and either a turbo session (hard) in the weekday evenings, or (when it got lighter) a ride of about 25 miles (steady) or a 10m TT plus 15 miles round trip.

I chucked in a decent brick or two (60miles/8miles) on a couple of the Saturdays nearing the race and that was about it. I guess my training was a lot less than most - however this made me really look forward to the sessions and a really enjoyed knocking out the bricks.

I didn't ever feel really tired - the only tiredness came from long runs for the IM when I maxed out at 18 and 20 mile stand-alone runs, and at the end of the bricks.

I didn't do any racing in 2010 so this season will be very interesting. I'm doing New Forest Tri (oly) on Sunday, The Slateman (longer than oly, shorter than middle), Cotswold 113 (middle) and Helvellyn (longer than oly, shorter than middle) this year. I think The Slateman will really favour me as it's a shortened swim and extended bike/run over olympic distance.

The real test will be The Cotswold 113. Ask me after that...
scrappy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed 4:50 at Antwerp last year (pan flat course, splits of 0:35/2:33/1:37). This was off an average of 9hrs a week, of what was in retrospect very unstructured training. I aimed for 3 sessions a week of S, B &R plus 2 gym sessions. Some weeks I got most in (~16hrs) and other weeks I could only do a few hrs due to various life-factors. Basically I just made it up as I went along, something like this:

Swim - ~2 club sessions/week so quite well balanced sets, plus one open water where I just swam longer intervals.
Bike - 1 turbo of DIY intervals, 1 long ride (3-4hrs), with the extra ride being e.g. a TT, a brick, or quick 1hr blast in the evening.
Run - 1 track session, 1 "long" run (max 1hr/15k), the odd 3rd run being 10k easy.

This was my 4th half, all in the same season, so I'd built up to it in terms of race experience. Plus there was a cyclosportif and a HM thrown in there as well. On the day it was an all out effort with nothing left to spare but beating my target by ~10mins was great Very Happy
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy thread resurrection.

I did my first 70.3 last year. It took me 6:35. I am doing the same event this year and I am targeting a sub 5. I know some are going to say that is a massive amount to trim but hear me out:

Last years was done on 5 months of good training coming from 3 months of solid FA. Before that I only swam and hadn't really ridden or ran for about a year. I weighed 17.5 stone, now I am down to 15 st and hope to be more like 13.7 - 14 by the time of the event.

I am much much fitter now. I recently did a half marathon and took 24 mins off my time from last year. I have also ordered a new P3 with DI2 which is worth at least 10 mins yeah?

I have a training plan and I am feeling great, logging about 10-11 hours per week consistently. Its not till Aug so bar any disasters I feel confident.

My split targets are:

Swim: 30min (my strongest discipline. Last year I did 33:41 without even trying and starting at the back to avoid the washing machine)
Bike: 2:37 (best bike split suggests this is possible). My FTP is 70w higher now than last year
Run: 1:45 (this is very close to my open HM time but with additional weight loss and training I should be close)

Transition is small with not far to go from the swim. It did 3:08 and 1:31 last year I think I can keep both under 2 minutes which should bring me a shade under the 5.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

^^ which event is it? Have you done any Tris this year yet, how did they go?
TriSam

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest, of all those splits, I reckon that the bike will be the hardest to hit. 2:37 is still an average speed of 21.4mph/34.4kph. Over anything but a very fast course, that could be tough.

Have you done any other tri's this year we could compare splits of?
iwaters

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first Oly distance is in 2 weeks. I will let you know how that goes.

The Event is The Cowman at Emberton. The Bike course is fairly flat, about 630m over the 92km (slightly long course). There is only 1 proper hill to speak of, which you have to do 3 times, but its only a 4%. Its not overly technical, the descents are easy to get some speed up. Last year I was held back on the descents because of lack of bike skills/balls so I think I can push that harder this year.

I think the bike split is going to be hard to hit to be fair. I suspect I will probably be closer to the 2:50 area.
Tin Pot

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:

The Event is The Cowman at Emberton. The Bike course is fairly flat, about 630m over the 92km (slightly long course). There is only 1 proper hill to speak of, which you have to do 3 times, but its only a 4%. Its not overly technical, the descents are easy to get some speed up. Last year I was held back on the descents because of lack of bike skills/balls so I think I can push that harder this year.

I think the bike split is going to be hard to hit to be fair. I suspect I will probably be closer to the 2:50 area.

The Cowman? That's a slippery slope toward naming events after superheroes Wink

I need a massive improvement in running before I can think about sub 5. I was an easy 5:53 at Staffs last year, I could save a few minutes on the swim and transitions, and 20-25 mins on the bike feels achievable, but I need at least a half hour saving on my run which shows no progress.

Good luck!
Sprint '16 1h17, '14 1h40, '13 2h01
Half Mara '16 2h04, '14 2h07
10 Mile TT '16 00:26:30
Trail 10K '16 54:01 '13 54:46
Jorgan

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tin Pot wrote:

I need a massive improvement in running before I can think about sub 5. I was an easy 5:53 at Staffs last year, I could save a few minutes on the swim and transitions, and 20-25 mins on the bike feels achievable, but I need at least a half hour saving on my run which shows no progress.

Getting your weight down will definitely help the run, without any additional training. But Rome wasn't built in a day, just keep plugging away.
explorerJC

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:

the Cowman bike course is slightly deceptive in that it is mildly undulating - just enough to take the edge off performance - the road surface is depressing and the fast part is nearly always into the breeze...

That said, the swim is generally fast, the run course an interesting mix of park and farmland...

Enjoy!

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
Mungo

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2017 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How ironic......
With my first middle days away sub 5 was always the target.

Two months ago it would have been a given.

Breaking your 1500m pb three times in a week, I'm a slow swimmer, holding your highest wattage for 90 mins and hitting your target weight on Holiday in Cyprus all sounds encouraging.

However I have a calf strain that will NOT mend. Osteo reckons 4 wks or so and the root cause seams to be sorted.

As a result its a toss up between Swim-bike-stop. Or

Swim-bike-jog ..... 10 kmph , or virtually walking seams to prevent the calf from locking up.

Neither are paticulary appealing after all the graft.

My A race is Sept so at least I'll get a Swim - Bike idea.

Good luck anybody racing over the next few weeks, these things are sent to TRI us!
iwaters

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
iwaters wrote:

the Cowman bike course is slightly deceptive in that it is mildly undulating - just enough to take the edge off performance - the road surface is depressing and the fast part is nearly always into the breeze...

That said, the swim is generally fast, the run course an interesting mix of park and farmland...

Enjoy!

It was Cowman I did last year, I think the course is staying the same. I forgot about the wind.

The it on the A509 Chichely to Olney is fun though, can get some serious speed down there.

The Oly I am doing in a couple of weeks is also at Emberton with the bike lap being two of the small lap which forms part of the Cowman course.

The time from that should give me a good indication of how likely my 5 hour goal is
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: