Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Sub 5 70.3*
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
explorerJC

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2017 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
explorerJC wrote:
iwaters wrote:
My first Oly distance is in 2 weeks. I will let you know how that goes.

The Event is The Cowman at Emberton. The Bike course is fairly flat, about 630m over the 92km (slightly long course). There is only 1 proper hill to speak of, which you have to do 3 times, but its only a 4%. Its not overly technical, the descents are easy to get some speed up. Last year I was held back on the descents because of lack of bike skills/balls so I think I can push that harder this year.

I think the bike split is going to be hard to hit to be fair. I suspect I will probably be closer to the 2:50 area.

the Cowman bike course is slightly deceptive in that it is mildly undulating - just enough to take the edge off performance - the road surface is depressing and the fast part is nearly always into the breeze...

That said, the swim is generally fast, the run course an interesting mix of park and farmland...

Enjoy!

It was Cowman I did last year, I think the course is staying the same. I forgot about the wind.

The it on the A509 Chichely to Olney is fun though, can get some serious speed down there.

The Oly I am doing in a couple of weeks is also at Emberton with the bike lap being two of the small lap which forms part of the Cowman course.

The time from that should give me a good indication of how likely my 5 hour goal is

i have lived in both Emberton and Olney...it's a great playground....

good luck!

www.naturalrunningform.co.uk Natural Running Form Coach

2017 Training Camps http://www.appliedtri.co.uk/training-camps/
iwaters

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I am going to aim for a sub 5:15 as I think sub 5 is out of reach for me at the min. My last Oly was 2:21 but that was with a run course 0.6k too long and I under-cooked the bike slightly so I think I can comfortably go under 2:18.

I have another Oly in 4 weeks, then the HIM in 7.

Hopefully my new bike, aero wheels and aero helmet will be here for the next race too. Might even shave my legs Smile
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
So I am going to aim for a sub 5:15 as I think sub 5 is out of reach for me at the min. My last Oly was 2:21 but that was with a run course 0.6k too long and I under-cooked the bike slightly so I think I can comfortably go under 2:18.

Hopefully my new bike, aero wheels and aero helmet will be here for the next race too. Might even shave my legs Smile

If you think you can go <2:18 in an Oly, then sub-5 should be attainable if it's a suitable course.
iwaters

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jorgan wrote:
iwaters wrote:

If you think you can go <2:18 in an Oly, then sub-5 should be attainable if it's a suitable course.

The only doubt I have, and this maybe "an excuse", but I am quite large, 6'5'', 15 stone and I find in longer races, particularly running, the fatigue builds and slows me down more. In 10k I can push through but in a HM at about 18km my legs are shelled.

Sure that's part of muscular endurance and fitness but I can't see that changing much in 7 weeks.

We shall see though. I think 5:15 is a good goal, and sub 5 is a stretch goal if it all comes together on the day.
Jorgan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

iwaters wrote:
I am quite large, 6'5'', 15 stone

There was a guy at the 113 like that, he rolled onto the bike as I was starting lap 2. He looked like he should be playing in the second row; was probably called Magnus Very Happy Very powerful/low cadence rider. Anyway, I paced off him until we got to the solitary hill, and never saw him again!

At least you're doing a Half off Oly races; I did the 113 off two Sprints and the run was a bit of a chore as a result!
iwaters

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

explorerJC wrote:
iwaters wrote:
My first Oly distance is in 2 weeks. I will let you know how that goes.

The Event is The Cowman at Emberton. The Bike course is fairly flat, about 630m over the 92km (slightly long course). There is only 1 proper hill to speak of, which you have to do 3 times, but its only a 4%. Its not overly technical, the descents are easy to get some speed up. Last year I was held back on the descents because of lack of bike skills/balls so I think I can push that harder this year.

I think the bike split is going to be hard to hit to be fair. I suspect I will probably be closer to the 2:50 area.

the Cowman bike course is slightly deceptive in that it is mildly undulating - just enough to take the edge off performance - the road surface is depressing and the fast part is nearly always into the breeze...

That said, the swim is generally fast, the run course an interesting mix of park and farmland...

Enjoy!

I did a couple of laps of the big loop at the weekend as part of my long ride. I had forgotten how hard the course actually is. Its not hilly, but it's not flat either. You never stop pedaling and there is no where to hide. Couple of sections have been resurfaced but parts are terrible still.

Even on the couple of bits you can get some speed up you immediately have to scrub it off for a junction or turning.

Having said all that I have just checked the website and they have changed the course! Its now two huge loops rather than 2 big, 1 small. Rather than the crappy bit between Denton and Horton you carry on the main road to Great Houghton. Takes out the horrible false flat based Yardley CTC with the awful road surface and removes one go up Chicheley hill.

Going to have to run the new course through BBS now.
Davem

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My best middle distance was Bala Middle back in the days when I was quicker

4:48

40 min swim
2:23 bike
1:44 run

and again 2 years later - 4:51

41 swim, 2:32 bike, 1:38 run

I'm happy to be sub 6 these days! Rolling Eyes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: