Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Bike hire and hols in Annecy
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeorgeL

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Bike hire and hols in Annecy Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I am on holiday in Annecy this summer with the family. We are intending to hire bikes there and do some cycling. Any help on where to hire reasonable bikes and any ideas of what to do would be much appreciated.

George
ttowel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What sort of cycling? I know someone who hires good road bikes and many places hire atbs, depends how serious your cycling is. I run a training camp there every year and can direct you to the best climbs, I'm back out there in august too
rsmtri

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttowel wrote:
direct you to the best climbs

Not to hijack thread, but would appreciate some help with this. Going there last week of June. Weekend before I am staying in BDO to to AdH and other classics in the area. Week in Annecy will be work so any tips on a 2 hour early morning ride with a climb would be very helpful.

GeorgeL, will send you what I see as well.
ttowel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends where in Annecy you are staying. On the East side you have the Col De LA Forclaz, on the West you have Le Semnoz.

Each climb has a few routes up but both are doable within a 2 hour ride.

The Forclaz is a real tester, best side to climb is from Vesonne at the South end of the lake. You can get there via the cycle path until you reach the underpass after Doussard. The climb starts from the stream bridge then you have 8k of very tough climbing peaking at 14%. The view from the top is the best in Annecy.

The descent down to Talloires is very good, this is the descent the way you go up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RdevIeH9zU&feature=related

Its around 40k to do the lap of the lake with the Forclaz climb.

More details here

http://www.cycling-challenge.com/top-5-cycling-climbs-lake-annecy/

The next climb is the Semnoz. 16km and rises to 1700m. The ascent from Annecy is epic, easy to find from the swimming pool roundabout but its a steady climb for the first 8k then kicks you in the balls with the next 5k at 9%. Again the views are great and the descent to Leshaux is 13km of fast road and hairpins, then the sweeping descent to Sevrier, which is special!! For 7 miles, you can average 33 mph!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzTIdJndQsY&feature=related

You can climb the Semnoz from Sevrier or St Joritz for a 22km climb. Again its doable to get up and down in 2 hours.

Further afield, the Croix Fry, L'Arpettaz and Col De L'Epine all within an hour's cycle but with an hour of climbing then the return trip they may be too far away.
[/img]
GeorgeL

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2011 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planning to hire two reasonable road bikes for doing some of the rides described above (and possibly further afield), two kids bikes for riding around the lake and possibly two other adult bikes also for going round the lake.

Thanks for the help so far

George
rsmtri

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ttowel wrote:
Depends where in Annecy you are staying. On the East side you have the Col De LA Forclaz, on the West you have Le Semnoz.

Thanks so much for this help! Staying at Talloires so looks like I've got my early AM rides all set. Doing Monaco 111 is September so this will be useful. Again, thanks for the help.

GeorgeL - Though not traveling this trip with my family, I do plan on looking around to see what there is for my kids for possible trip next year. Will pass along info. Also, I have the Graham Watson's book on following the Tour. Will go through and see if anything useful for you for AdH.
ttowel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are in Talloires, you can probably get away with going up over the Col De Bluffy, into Thones and up the Col De La Croix Fry, drop down the other side into Clusas, then you have a fantastic 10 mile descent on main roads to Thones and back to Talloires.

All in about 3 hours.

If you want a serious climb, there is the Plan Bois which ascends to Manigod but its the steepest climb in the region, 18% in places for 6k.
Whisk

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've not done them myself, but these routes might be worth a look:-

http://www.thealpinechallenge.com/routes.php
ttowel

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2011 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All pretty nice routes and quite easy. The Time trial to Leshaux is a good test, its a big ring grind at an average of 4-5% all the way.

Stage 2 is much better the other way round, the Revard or Col De La Cluse is a good climb from the North.

Stage 3 is tame, but stage 4 is getting close to an honest ride:

My Top 10 Annecy Climbs in order are:

1- Le Semnoz, from Annecy
2- Signal De Bisanne from Villard Sur Dorom
3- Col Du Pre from Beaufort
4- Col De La Forclaz from Vesonne
5- Col de la Colombiere from Bonneville
6- Col De la Croix Fry, Via Plan Bois, from Thones
7- Col Des Cyclotourists, from Albertville
8- Plateau de Gilieres
9- Le Semnoz from Leshaux
10- Col Des Saisies, from Beaufort

Top 10 Descents:

1- Le Semnoz, to Annecy
2- Flumet to Ugine
3- Col De La Forclaz to Vesonne
4- Le Semnoz to Leshaux
5- Leshaux to Sevrier
6- St Jean de Sixt to Thones
7- Col de la Forclaz to Talloires
8- Col De La Colombiere to Grand Bornand
9- Col De L'Arpettaz to Faverges
10- Col Des Aravis to Flumet
savoyad

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of good suggestions, although I'd take some of ttowel's timings and gear suggestions with a pinch of salt...

Your best bet is to choose a nearby "difficulty" and then build a ride around it - Col de la Forclaz (both ways) and Semnoz are the obvious ones within easy reach; col des aravis, col de la croix fry, plateau des glieres and col de la colombiere are a little further.

The local authorities are (slowly) organising some signed cycle routes. The info is here: http://www.hautesavoie-rando.fr/pages/en/menu12/greenways-cycle-route/cycle-tourism-70.html
Download the "schema" or "carte" pdfs for some ideas around Annecy. This is a great place to figure stuff out from if you can get over the fact that the site is impossible to navigate. the rides themselves are well signed and are good hints about the best roads in any given direction if you're building your own route.

If you want a less challenging (but still potentially mountainous) ride, then the loop of the lake (with the col de bluffy detour like in the 2009 tdf if you want) or the roads used in the the doussard middle distance triathlon (the "easy" col du marais and the quiet valley/hillside roads to the west of Thones) are both nice.
ttowel

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

savoyad wrote:
Lots of good suggestions, although I'd take some of ttowel's timings and gear suggestions with a pinch of salt...

Your best bet is to choose a nearby "difficulty" and then build a ride around it - Col de la Forclaz (both ways) and Semnoz are the obvious ones within easy reach; col des aravis, col de la croix fry, plateau des glieres and col de la colombiere are a little further.

The local authorities are (slowly) organising some signed cycle routes. The info is here: http://www.hautesavoie-rando.fr/pages/en/menu12/greenways-cycle-route/cycle-tourism-70.html
Download the "schema" or "carte" pdfs for some ideas around Annecy. This is a great place to figure stuff out from if you can get over the fact that the site is impossible to navigate. the rides themselves are well signed and are good hints about the best roads in any given direction if you're building your own route.

If you want a less challenging (but still potentially mountainous) ride, then the loop of the lake (with the col de bluffy detour like in the 2009 tdf if you want) or the roads used in the the doussard middle distance triathlon (the "easy" col du marais and the quiet valley/hillside roads to the west of Thones) are both nice.

The road from Faverges to Serreval is currently closed due to rock face netting in construction. It looks like it will take a while. Road closures normally last a long time out there. The better way up to Col De Marais is via MArlens and the Col De L'Epine
GeorgeL

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the info. Any ideas of where to actually hire bikes from?

George
savoyad

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GeorgeL wrote:
Thanks for all the info. Any ideas of where to actually hire bikes from?

George
www.annecy-location-velo.com are advertising Scott Speedster with Ultegra for hire. ttowel mentioned he knows someone as well (try a PM if he doesn't come back to the thread). I've rented (again, Scott Speedsters) from sport boutique in La Clusaz before, but there's no point traipsing up there if there are places in Annecy.
ttowel wrote:
The road from Faverges to Serreval is currently closed due to rock face netting in construction. It looks like it will take a while. Road closures normally last a long time out there. The better way up to Col De Marais is via MArlens and the Col De L'Epine
Good point, but it should be finished by now (17 june was the target; although I'm not there to check). The official diversion was via Marlens like you suggest - a bit of a surprise on a bike though if you're expecting the col du marais...
rsmtri

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey GeorgeL, I just got back from spending the week there. I stayed over in Talloires. I had my own bike, but we did rent some cruiser bikes from a place called Roul' ma poule (www.roulmapoule.com). They did have some Scott road bikes. It is by the main part of Annecy.

As far as the area, it was awesome. I was able to get a ride in early in the morning. I went up to the top of the Col de Forclaz. It was about 10km from where I was staying, right up the hill. It was a good climb and I just did an up and back. The climb from this side has an amazing view of the lake the whole way up.

Note, the roads get a little crowded so be careful if you ride later in the day. Where we were there is no bike path, so you needed to ride about 8k or so to get to the path, but if you are in the town of Annecy there will be a bike path. This path goes all the way to Albertville and it is basically flat. It is an excellent path.

On Saturday morning, we did an anti-clockwise loop around the lake from Talloires. When we got on the other side of the lake we stayed on the path toward Albertville. When we got to the other entrance of the Col de Forclaz we headed up. This is definitely the harder side of the two. At the bottom they are doing roadwork so the first few km are loose gravel, but it is not that bad. It is in more of a valley, versus the view of the lake, but still beautiful.

Depending on how fit and extreme you want to ride, there is a restaurant way up the Forclaz. It is a farm as well. I thought I grabbed a card but I can't find it. It is up a dirt/rock road, so it would be a cool climb on a mountain bike, but it would be really tough. There look like hiking trails leading up to it. The view is amazing and if you like cheese meal (e.g. fondue), this is the place to be. I'd definitely take my family there for the view. Road is rough though and not sure how often they are open. I'll see if I can find the card.

Hope you have a great time. It is very beautiful.
ttowel

PostPosted: Sun Jul 03, 2011 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rsmtri wrote:
Hey GeorgeL, I just got back from spending the week there. I stayed over in Talloires. I had my own bike, but we did rent some cruiser bikes from a place called Roul' ma poule (www.roulmapoule.com). They did have some Scott road bikes. It is by the main part of Annecy.

As far as the area, it was awesome. I was able to get a ride in early in the morning. I went up to the top of the Col de Forclaz. It was about 10km from where I was staying, right up the hill. It was a good climb and I just did an up and back. The climb from this side has an amazing view of the lake the whole way up.

Note, the roads get a little crowded so be careful if you ride later in the day. Where we were there is no bike path, so you needed to ride about 8k or so to get to the path, but if you are in the town of Annecy there will be a bike path. This path goes all the way to Albertville and it is basically flat. It is an excellent path.

On Saturday morning, we did an anti-clockwise loop around the lake from Talloires. When we got on the other side of the lake we stayed on the path toward Albertville. When we got to the other entrance of the Col de Forclaz we headed up. This is definitely the harder side of the two. At the bottom they are doing roadwork so the first few km are loose gravel, but it is not that bad. It is in more of a valley, versus the view of the lake, but still beautiful.

Depending on how fit and extreme you want to ride, there is a restaurant way up the Forclaz. It is a farm as well. I thought I grabbed a card but I can't find it. It is up a dirt/rock road, so it would be a cool climb on a mountain bike, but it would be really tough. There look like hiking trails leading up to it. The view is amazing and if you like cheese meal (e.g. fondue), this is the place to be. I'd definitely take my family there for the view. Road is rough though and not sure how often they are open. I'll see if I can find the card.

Hope you have a great time. It is very beautiful.

PB for the climb from Vesonne, where the climb starts at the stream (by the roadworks, is 29.58 averaging 10.1mph

Summot to aim for next time
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Off-Topic All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: