Tri Talk HomepageTri Talk EventsTri Talk ForumsBlogsTri Talk TrainingTri TradeTriPlayerWikiTeam Tri Talk
Hows your training going so far?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slowpoke rodriguez

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:01 pm    Post subject: Hows your training going so far? Reply with quote

As a sort of add on to the "today I did" thread, I would be interested to read how everyone feels their training is going so far this year. Are you pleased with it? Are you doing the sessions / hours that you want? Are your goals in sight?

I'll kick off then Laughing ........

I had everything planned out according to Joe Friel, but injury and illness put paid to that, and I reckon I lost about 8 weeks training through Nov, Dec and Jan. Consequently I have taken a far more relaxed attitude and am training a couple less hours each week and am actually very pleased with how things are going. My running and cycling have both improved but I'm on a bit of a plateau with the swimming. I'll step up a gear through March and April and start slowly increasing the distance and intensity. Healthwise I'm good, but still can't shift the shinsplints.
Daz

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good thread slowpoke!

I'm a bit like you too. I was keen to start my prep period in Nov last year (2 months earlier than last year), but a stomach virus in sept/oct amd two sprained ankles after that have meant I couldnt really train properly until sometime beg jan. Jan was spent concentrating on my long swims and I've found that both Jan and Feb this year I've done more swim/bike/run mileage units than my previous years. Havn't done a quarter of cyclign I'd like to do but still feel fitter and more confident in bike and run for this year. So looking forward to tri's, just started reading joe friel's 'going long' and trying to force myself to train 'easy' as rest periods instead of the steady and hrad I used to do.
dr dre

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My training is going great did 26hrs in Jan and up to 36 hours this month.

My swimming is going great guns in prep for the Swimathon 20th march. I have swum 46-47k so far this year ( a lot more than I have ran !! )

I pb'd my 5k in my first bike/run brick which i was suprised at

I need to run more though - have run 20k this month which is 15k more than last month.

hopefully will be off work March til April 5th so will running my a*% off (sensibly off course GM ! )

just want to race now ! seems like ages since I last raced
Stealth Attack

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, things going great at the moment. I'm bang on my schedule for my Madeira race but training has been hard (one actual rest day - as opposed to active recovery session - since 26 Jan) and racing through hard training blocks has been frustrating. My first taper race will be the Bath half marathon on 14 March so a good time then (as close to 80 mins as possible) would be a good confidence booster. Becuase the madeira race is so early in the season (8 May), I have deliberately set out to advance my normal training pattern by two months. I really do feel as fit now as I would normally do in say April/May so something seems to be working. The trick will be getting race fit over the olympic distance without the opportunity, before Madeira, of actually doing one! The plan in April is to simulate the effort of an oly distance race by doing an 8km/40km/10km brick session (run/bike/run) in close to race conditions, but that apart, I'll be trying to fit in a smany different types of racing in April to get me into race mode.

Giantman

See my blog at : http://www.tri247.com/columns/rob_holloway.html
RuthE

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Badly: -I havent swum or cycled for ages, Been purely running. Have no structure, Need to reasses and sort it out a bit Evil or Very Mad
AndyS

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everytime I try to train to a structure and schedule I loose the ability to follow it for one reason or another (injury, illness etc). So I decided to do what I feel like when I feel like doing it. Since then I've been getting up early and training and enjoying it. That's very important to me because as soon as I lose the enjoyment side it's over.

I do two sessions of each per week and anything else I feel like. That may include massage, walking, stretching, anything. By being less rigid I don't fall into the spirit busting situation when the scedule says 'Monday am - RUN 10k' and it's pooring with rain or windy/icy cold. Instead I'll look out the window and think 'I'll go to the gym and row' which is nice because it's not planned.

Anyway, yet its going well. Better than I could've expected. I regret getting injured over Christmas by running too far too soon but it's a lesson well learnt and hasn't really had any ill effects. Just put be back a bit. Reading how much running you people do per month made me feel better too! I'm not so bad.

My totals for the month, it's almost complete. Just two more bikes and a swim to go:

Swim 22.7km
Bike 252km
Run 62km
Time spent training 25hr 16mins (probably another 4 hours to go on that for Feb).

All up from last month. Whohoo.
drinks

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going pretty well here as well - bulk of training been long slow mileage accumulation but no injuries keeping to schedule and actually finding when I do push myself I'm quickest I've ever been certainly running and swimming...not sure about bike but finding long rides easier than ever so nothing to worry about there...
Managed to mess up all 5 of my main races last year in one way or another - so avoiding balls ups this year as much an aim as anything...
bulgar

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great thread!

Training has been fun so far.

Injury a week before Christmas (just on time) gave me 2 weeks off. Jan and Feb have been my running months and I managed to build it up to 20+ miles per week. Will be running the Reading Half a week on Sunday. Swimming has been down to twice per week and cycling only once! But this will all change now in March and April, minimum 3 swims and 2 rides while cutting running to 10-15 m/w.

Did try to crate a Joe Friel kind of a plan but it was too complicated. May be next year...

I'm just hoping I stay injury free and roll on May Smile
Sue

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess my training has been to plan since mainly marathon training.
So working on 4 runs a week, 1 swim and 2 turbo's.
My long runs have been upto schedule, a few 17/18milers and will be a 20mile race Sun --so that should say how my pacing is coming along.
I dont feel I'm any faster, although my x-countries were ok.

Looking forward to after London M when I can start proper tri training Very Happy
doug

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My training year has been going well, albeit largely unstructured.

Started the year with a calf strain which curtailed my running for several
weeks. Now built up my long run back up to 12miles (where I was
before the strain) and also concentrated on shorter runs - this has
knocked about 2 mins of my 3mile route (up Harrow-on-the-Hill
and back).

Cycling has been largely trying to build up some miles and get
used to a road bike again after 10 years of hybrids and mountain bikes.
Need to work on the speed now.

My swimming has improved dramatically since I got back in the water
in Oct last year, concentrated on technique and building up distance,
knocked about 2mins of my 400m time and my swim is now
generally 1500m rather than 900-1200m (last night was 1800m
and I did 2200m a couple of weeks ago). Still a long way to
though - I'd like to knock at least another minute of my 400m time,
and prove to myself I can do the IM distance with energy left over.

I started training in Oct last year aiming to do a couple of sprints
as a taster and talked myself into entering the London Oly,
after that my aim is an IM (in 2006).
anna

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimming ok twice a week with club

Biking coming on ok, have cycled more this winter than ever before. But as I have never raced on a road bike I dont have any thing to compare times with.

Running Embarassed Getting slower. Novembers 10k at Blenham was 53 minutes and had hills, last weeks was 59 minutes and was much flatter.maybe I need to have the atmosphere of an organised run. Sad
still my 5k time on the running machine in the gym is getting better. and I am just planning sprint distance tris
Sue

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

anna
Quote:
maybe I need to have the atmosphere of an organised run

--think thats right 'anna. It never amazes me that I can always run faster in races and never that fast in training Shocked --prob. that "im not going to be last" syndrome Rolling Eyes
Delboy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was going fine until my shin splints affected me. Try to do one session a day, with one day a week for rest, so its usually 1 swim 3 bike and 2 run.

Have got a 30K bike planned for tomorrow tho
Captain Fat

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was only thinking of this today, i have found since XMass my training has lost track, or should I say I have lost track/ focus. Before XMass I use to use training plan for the 4 week period and follow that and things flowed nicely even when I couldn’t get in what I plan because it was written down i just moved sessions.

But since then i have not used my plan and seemed to just bumble through, and after last nights swim (more on that later) i realised my swimming is under threat, before with the plan i was doing 2-3 sessions a week, now i am lucky if i get one in. so need to get back to the plan before my over all training starts to suffer

Having said that my bike is going well times are coming down and my running is great now avg a 9 min mile in comfy mode, were this time last year that was flat out. so not all doom and gloom but time for a rethink.

Cornish Ironman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2004 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

#@?# - got sciatica (again!)
Just swimming at the mo' - physio has read me the riot act! Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    TriTalk.co.uk Forum Index -> Training All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: